What's new

Dovo Shavette & Merkur HD in Toronto

R

rambo

I just picked up a Merkur 39C from a store called "Shefield & Sons" at Dufferin Mall which is located right across the Toys R' Us in the mall. There was a Dovo shavette and I *think* a Merkur HD for sale in the front glass. They sell Merkur razors blades as well (I bought ten because the owner was nice) but they are WAY too expensive (10$ for 10 blades). The Dovo shavette was selling for around $40-ish dollars (wasn't sure if I wanted to get it..but went with the 39C :) ) and bought the Merkur 39C for $60 which is much cheaper then anywhere else in Toronto and even cheaper then ordering online at fendrihan.com.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you want to try a straight, for the same price, you can pick-up a vintage shave ready straight. You would only need a strop to go with. Those could be found for cheap too.

I strongly recommend a real straight and not the shavette. I tried both and can't believe the difference. A shavette isn't bad itself but a straight is a much better feeling!

R

rambo

If you want to try a straight, for the same price, you can pick-up a vintage shave ready straight. You would only need a strop to go with. Those could be found for cheap too.

I strongly recommend a real straight and not the shavette. I tried both and can't believe the difference. A shavette isn't bad itself but a straight is a much better feeling!

Man, I seriously want a straight razor. The thing is I literally bought my first ever DE a couple of hours back and got into this hobby around a week ago, so I need to breathe and control my wallet because after all the spending I did today I can here an echo inside my wallet:bored::bored:.

I plan on learning proper technique of DEs with my Merkur 39C, then slowly "upgrade" my equipment to find my zen and once I think I'm ready (and have money) I will buy a strop and a straight razor.

The only "problem" I have with a straight razor is that I have to go and send it to hone every so often. I don't like waiting.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Man, I seriously want a straight razor. The thing is I literally bought my first ever DE a couple of hours back and got into this hobby around a week ago, so I need to breathe and control my wallet because after all the spending I did today I can here an echo inside my wallet:bored::bored:.

I plan on learning proper technique of DEs with my Merkur 39C, then slowly "upgrade" my equipment to find my zen and once I think I'm ready (and have money) I will buy a strop and a straight razor.

The only "problem" I have with a straight razor is that I have to go and send it to hone every so often. I don't like waiting.

Don't worry about honing. There will be someone around you that can do that... I used a DE for a few months and I still consider myself a noob (very noob) using a straight. I currently have 7 straights and I rotate them. They won't need honing that often and the chances are that when they will, it won't be at the same time!

Top Bottom