What's new

Interested in Straight Razors

Well, I've been shaving with a DE for 5 years now. I love it, I really do, but there's just something so damned seductive about using a straight, so I want to get started doing that. Only one problem...eBay, refurbished or brand new?

From my point of view, if it's an eBay razor, it would need some serious polishing, sharpening, honing, repair, etc. While the prices for some of them are attractive, I honestly wouldn't know where to go from the point I actually have the razor in my hand. Then there's the question of high carbon steel vs. stainless steel. I hear that high carbon is easier to sharpen but requires a lot of maintenance where stainless is virtually maintenance-free but can't hold an edge.

I tried looking for refurbished razors at SRP but I don't know where to look. And the brand new ones are nice but expensive. If I can find a good, inexpensive first straight razor to get used to, that would be ideal.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

See this thread.

Whatever you do, get a razor that is "shave ready" and that has been honed prior to you receiving it - whether it be used or new.

I hear that high carbon is easier to sharpen but requires a lot of maintenance where stainless is virtually maintenance-free but can't hold an edge.

Unfortunately, you heard wrong. Speaking generally, carbon razors have slightly softer steel so they hone up easier but lose the edge faster. Stainless razors are somewhat more rust-resistant and tend to have harder steel so they take longer to hone but hold the edge longer.

Check the Buy/Sell/Trade section on SRP, also the Vendor's section, also check the User Gallery - there is a "razors for sale" gallery, and Lynn has a bunch of razors for sale in his gallery.

Also look here. If you want brand new get one from Tony Miller (and get one or two of his excellent strops as well :wink: ).

Don't worry about carbon v stainless. In the end you'll probably end up owning one or two of both. When you first start out you'll be buying a shave ready straight, and if you also buy a pasted paddle you won't have to worry about putting the razor to a hone for six to nine months anyway (so I hear I've only been using a straight for about a month).

Edit: Tony is now selling his razors with free shipping - check out the shopping forum.

I started with a Feather Artist Club with ProGuard Blades to see if I'd like it. Admittedly the Feather isn't exactly like a traditional straight but it allowed me to check it out without worrying about stropping, honing etc. If I didn't like used Feathers fetch a good price on these forums. At any rate I'm now exclusively using a traditional straight razor, the Feather is in my travel bag:rolleyes:

I had the same dilemma when I started.

First I bought a good Dovo for around $200, figuring I wouldn't need anything else if I got a good one to start. Then for fun I started buying some oldies from e-bay and sharpening them up. Most shaved great, better than my Dovo.

Now the ones I use most are old ones I got from E-bay. My buying has slowed down since I have enough razors for about 20 lifetimes or more. It's hard to resist a highly functional antique razor for < $10 though.

Haven't tried refurbished razors so I can't comment on that. I will say that it's possible to restore oldies to shaving condition yourself though, without using the services of a mystic honemeister. My razors may or may not be duller than those of the "experts," but they shave my face just fine.

Shane, I agree with the above posts re: SS vs Carbon, emphasising that it takes longer to GET an edge but not a big deal. I don't notice a difference in sharpness between my SS and my carbon. You mentioned price also. You can get a new Dovo at some places for $50 - $60 that should do for a start at least. Mine, purchased 10 yrs ago for $65 (Boston prices), is still my first choice. If you're concidering price, rember that you'll 'need' soaps and a good brush, and a good strop (see Tony Miller), maybe a hone, pastes, and stypic pencil so don't blow it all on a razor. If you do it right, like it sounds like you are - (you're at B&B), you'll love the new shave.
Regards and welcome
Zig

Top Bottom