What's new

Wet Shaving Virginity is Gone! No nicks or cuts!

A couple hours ago I got my package from Vintage Blades. Based on recomendations already posted here I got a Merkur HD Kit. It came with Col. Conk's Lime gylcerin soap, and Rooney Pure Badger Brush, and a mug (with fancy sailing ship motiff). I used the supplied Merkur Platinum Super blade that came with he razor.

I read one of the posts on developing a good lather and I seemed to get a nice looking froth but perhaps it was a little thin on lubricity in use. My lather lasted long enough for 3 shaves so I figure I didn't do too bad on the lathering. I used up some "Christmas" after shave balm to soothe my dry face. In the past glycerin facial soaps dried the ever loving bejesus out of my skin so I wonder if the gylcerin shave soap does the same.

No nicks or cuts! I did get a small weep in an area below my chin where I often do.

Even with 3 shaves my face is not really as closely shaved as I'm used to. I normally use a hefty metal Atra razor with Atra blades. I had a bunch of Auto Plus cartridges for Atra that were junk, not near as close and dead in 3 shaves.

I think after my first use I could have gotten away with a more aggresive razor. I still have to try some other blades though and work on my technique before I blame the Merkur Platinum Super blades.

I'm leaning toward a longer handled Ikon razor if my final assessment is the HD is too mild a shaver for me. I found that the shorty handles feel less comfortable to me.

Anyway, I'm learning from my experiences and your discussion!:cool:

Well Done!!

You'll find that over time, you'll refine your technique and you will experience progressively better shaves.

Remember, 'technique' (what you do) is more important than 'stuff' (what you use).

-- John Gehman

I agree with perfectin your technique. That's always the biggest factor. The Merkur blades are very average. However, I found that they were good to use as a beginner but there was a tradeoff that I didn't get a BBS. Best of luck and keep up the good work.

Congrats! You may want to consider other Merkurs like the Barber Pole Slant, or other vintage razors like the Gillette Adjustables, or even a nice singe edge razor, once you decide to experiment.

Well Done!!

You'll find that over time, you'll refine your technique and you will experience progressively better shaves.

Remember, 'technique' (what you do) is more important than 'stuff' (what you use).

-- John Gehman

I agree with John's comment. Enjoy the DE world!

Congrats! You may want to consider other Merkurs like the Barber Pole Slant, or other vintage razors like the Gillette Adjustables, or even a nice singe edge razor, once you decide to experiment.

Congrats on the wet shaving! I would recommend get your technique down before you start experimenting with other razors. Once you get your favorite blade, and you can get bloodless bbs shave then start experimenting. Then I would suggest try out both slants, Gillette Slim Adjustable and other razors.

Cheers,

Congrats on a good start. The BBS shave will come with time. I agree with the above posts - it's all about technique. I use the Merkur HD with Feather blades. It took a few months, but now I get BBS shaves just about every day.

Enjoy the Journey!

Second round today was a lot closer. I'm off Thursday and Friday this week so I get to practice at a leisurely pace. Nothing like a warm face of lather.

Same everything equipment wise, my lather seemed a tad weaker today but my shave was better anyhow. I shaved twice and figured I'd let it go at that as it felt pretty good. I must have been more consistent getting the right angle and used a little pressure. I also shortend my strokes and thusly rinsed the razor more often. One thing I did was put my soap mug with brush and lather right in the sink with the hot water. It bobbed around a bit but it kept my lather warm. I like that, wish I could get it as hot as the barber shop's machine. (Which they no longer use, they dropped the razor on the neck:frown:)

I used a different, less scented, Christmas face balm. OH, BTW I call all them boxed sets no matter the brand "Christmas cologne, after shave, shave lotions". I have years, scratch that, decades worth!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tom

Well I guess depending on whose definition you use, I've been a wet shaver on again off again....just with cartridge razors. So I had a decent technique to start with. I no longer will tolorate the electric razor i used half the time for the last few years. (Christmas gift).

I didn't realize you meant that as wet shaving, I figured it referred to mixing your own soaps and creams to shave with.

Like I said, I'm learning.

Top Bottom