What's new

Extend your razors life with a pair of jeans...

SIX MONTHS!?!

Even with the ultra-amazing blue jean stropping, I don't think you can really get 6 months life out of one of those cartridges.

None of the comments attached to that article are anything that we haven't discussed here already.

G

gone down south

Why do people hate their own face so much?:eek:
I was lucky to get 5 shaves out of an M3, and the 5th one hurt.

I was using the same Fusion cartridge for around 8 months before I switched to DE shaving. Still got good shaves, especially after finding techniques on this site and Mantics videos. After founding the techniques, I had very little irritation as well. Wouldn't suggest it though, don't think my skin is sensitive :biggrin:

This guy's closet:

proxy.php

i know someone who is using the same mach 3 blades for 2 years! I looked at and its disgusting, it was clogged up with skin and hair between the blades and he still uses it! Those blades must be pulling out the hair right from his face.

I wonder if someone could try the "jean stropping" technique with a DE and get any results. I tend to believe it would just DULL the blade rather than keep it sharp.
What say ye men?

I wonder if someone could try the "jean stropping" technique with a DE and get any results. I tend to believe it would just DULL the blade rather than keep it sharp.
What say ye men?

The DE blades I use are so inexpensive, there is really no reason to attempt to extend the life of them. 3 or 4 shaves and they are replaced.

The DE blades I use are so inexpensive, there is really no reason to attempt to extend the life of them. 3 or 4 shaves and they are replaced.

I am a thrifty man :wink:
I extend the life of my DE blades by swirling them in rubbing alcohol after a shave but I don't think I will be rubbing them on my Levi's. I don't believe it would work.
Wp

What this jean stropping method is doing is basically thoroughly drying the cartridge after use, which negates the blade being ruined quickly with corrosion.

In reality, you can use a towel, or the sleeve of your bathrobe to do the same thing. I do this after each shave with a Merkur Trac II. It does prolong the life of the blades, rather noticeably so. Simply shaking the loose water off, as is common practice, will not achieve the same longevity. I can get months instead of weeks with the Merkur.

No need to use jeans though, but it is worth noting that if this 'stropping' is done property, nothing is ripped or ruined.

What this jean stropping method is doing is basically thoroughly drying the cartridge after use, which negates the blade being ruined quickly with corrosion.

In reality, you can use a towel, or the sleeve of your bathrobe to do the same thing. I do this after each shave with a Merkur Trac II. It does prolong the life of the blades, rather noticeably so. Simply shaking the loose water off, as is common practice, will not achieve the same longevity. I can get months instead of weeks with the Merkur.

No need to use jeans though, but it is worth noting that if this 'stropping' is done property, nothing is ripped or ruined.

How can you thoroughly dry a cartridge by running it over cloth when there are two sides to each blade?

In reality, you can use a towel, or the sleeve of your bathrobe to do the same thing. I do this after each shave with a Merkur Trac II. It does prolong the life of the blades, rather noticeably so.

Would a dip in rubbing alcohol not accomplish the same by displacing the water and causing it to evaporate?
Wp

Would a dip in rubbing alcohol not accomplish the same by displacing the water and causing it to evaporate?
Wp

Yes, but you always have a towel in the bathroom, don't you?

As to there being two sides to every blade; whatever part of the the cartridge that does not get dried by the towel-method is inconsequential. The edges are keen after months of using this technique. I used to get annoyed at corrosion build up, and this effectively fixes that problem.

Scoff all you want, it works.

The only legitimate point in the article was the first line..."If you use disposable razor blades, odds are they get dull more quickly than you'd like."

The solution is to get REAL blades, not destroy your pants.

G

gone down south

Even a straight, which has a much better edge than any cartridge, needs to be honed every so often. I imagine that one CAN extend a blade's lifespan into months, but at that point you must have to accept some pretty lousy shaves.

I think the gentleman that are getting these prolonged life on blades..regardless of their extension methods must have very very fine hair. Same a s the guys who get BBS with 2 WTG passes. And maybe a combination of super robust non sensitive skin..... I think its all proof in the pudding for the only FACT on this entire forum YMMV and a mile for one runner is a lot different for another...

Top Bottom