What's new

single malt of choice, < $100 ??

Greetings -

Would like to hear what folks like in a single malt under $100.
My preference is a moderate drink, not too peaty.

Lately, the Oban 14 is my bottle of choice for an 'event'.

Cheers,

Greetings -

Would like to hear what folks like in a single malt under $100.
My preference is a moderate drink, not too peaty.

Lately, the Oban 14 is my bottle of choice for an 'event'.

Cheers,

Hmmm, not too peaty...

Bruichladdich 1989 Full Strength and Highland Park 18 both come to mind. :001_tt1:

You've got lots of options in this price range.

First: Try to find a good liquor store/wine shop where you can sample some different things.

Off the top of my head, Bruichladdich, Glenmorangie and Highland Park all have some great offerings below $100.

One of my favorites, but it is a "peaty" whisky, which tho OP specifically did not want.

In any case, it is damn fine whisky and might change the OP's mind!

See, I read `not too peaty' to imply that he wanted something peaty, but not in the 'phroaig/Laga/Ardbeg sort of range. But yeah, there's definite peat in it.

Either way, a beautiful dram, and not too pricey.

See, I read `not too peaty' to imply that he wanted something peaty, but not in the 'phroaig/Laga/Ardbeg sort of range. But yeah, there's definite peat in it.

Either way, a beautiful dram, and not too pricey.

It's the Goldilocks whisky -- just peaty enough!

There are a few that I enjoy. Glenrothes has some nice selections, Cragganmore, Glenmorangie, highland Park, Macallan, Oban, and Talisker all have good selections. Glenrothes is probably my favorite.

If you don't want a lot of peat, Macallan is very good. I am quite fond of the cask strength Sherry Oak 10 year old. It is not very expensive too.

Dave

Glenmorangie Port Wood finished (Quinta Ruban) is a nice albeit not quite traditional scotch.

I fear that the contents of my bank account will drop along with the temperature, due to my preference for drinking scotch in the fall.

it's rye, not scotch - but my favorite whiskey of all time

they make a 19th century and an 18th century version

i also love the oban - and once in awhile, talisker

Can't go wrong with a Glenlivet 18 years. Glenlivet is my favorite moderate, smooth singlemalt of choice.

I'm just drinking one now, with that nice Glenlivet blue sticker bottle in front of me :biggrin:

How about a good lowland; say, a Rosebank -Cask, Connoisseurs Choice or Flora & Fauna- before they're gone for good. You can probably pick one up for sub $70 delivered, unless you're lucky enough to have a stock locally. Many have said it's perhaps the most approachable and refreshing of the available lowlands drams, sub $700.

There are numerous malts, with little or no peat influence in this price range:

The cask strength Macallan that was previously mentioned is the bargain of the Macallan range.

Scapa 14 is a honeyed delight

Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve and 16 Nadurra are the choice in that range,

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or is a unique luscious classic

Cragganmore 12 is very multi faceted for a "mainstream" Speyside whisky

Isle of Arran 10 is mellow for its years

Aberlour 10 is always a bargain

Glenfiddich 12 couldn't offend anyone

Cadhu 12 is a "light" classic as is Knockando

Highland Park 18 yo is your best bet. (It's 99.99 here in NH)

If that's too much, than try the 15 yo. HP is the best balanced single malt out there.

ETA: I see I was beaten to it by Torcams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom