What's new

single malt of choice, < $100 ??

Can't go wrong with Macallan 12 yr.

I like Talisker too but maybe too peaty for you. (For reference, Laphraoig used to be my favorite.)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
There are a few that I enjoy. Glenrothes has some nice selections, Cragganmore, Glenmorangie, highland Park, Macallan, Oban, and Talisker all have good selections. Glenrothes is probably my favorite.

Oh man! I love their vintage release range. Shame such a well kept secret has been unleashed though. Love the '92.

I would have said Talisker but there is a bit of peat in it to go with the brine.

How about Oban?

Many good choices here. Although I personally prefer Lagavulin and Laphraoig, they are smokey and peaty and, thus, do not meet your criteria, so I will add Glenrothes to the list. My bottle, which I received as a gift, is a 1992 "vintage", and not particularly peaty at all.

Enjoy!

You should take a look at the Glenrothes 18 year from 1991. It has a distinct butterscotch taste (no joke). Its a helluva good scotch at right about $75 for a 1/5.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I like the peaty stuff, so my list would be:
Lagavulin
Talisker
Laphraoig
Highland Park

I've only recently gotten into single malt, and went through a number of brands trying to convince myself that I actually liked it. Until a friend introduced me to:

The Balvene Doublewood. 12-year, single malt Heaven. About $45 a bottle.

Jeff in Boston

Ive been out of this thread because its such a subjective thing. However, I agree with all those who like Highland Park 18, I think its dollar for dollar the best single malt available, but its not under $100 anywhere I have looked or purchased it.

I have been enjoying The Singleton 12 yo and at $45 here in NYC its a great inexpensive Speyside. Honestly, I have considered buying a case to get the price under $40 and keeping it as my only scotch in the house...its good enough to satisfy all tastes in my opinion.

I'd get two and half bottles of the Highland Park 12 year old. :) The 18 year old is good, but I think I almost like the 12 year old better - in my opinion probably the best bang for the buck single malt-wise.

To each his own! I'd spend my $ on a bottle of Talisker...great peat and depth.

But hey, Highland Park is an amazing one too...just not smokey enough for me :)

I've only recently gotten into single malt, and went through a number of brands trying to convince myself that I actually liked it. Until a friend introduced me to:

The Balvene Doublewood. 12-year, single malt Heaven. About $45 a bottle.

Jeff in Boston

+1

Don't decide without at least giving this a try.

Top Bottom