What's new

Edwin Jagger de razors or T&H de

Ok wow, those are the neatest, prettiest razors I've seen yet. All I've seen is the EJ in non-US currency and I don't really want to pay the T&H website price for theirs. Any suggestions fellas?

I agree, the EJs are great-looking razors, although I've never shaved with one. I've seen them for sale, in US currency, at these two sites:

www.bestgroomingtools.com

www.fendrihan.com

If the Fendrihan site shows a price in Canadian dollars, there's a tab you can click to convert the price to US dollars.

Mike

The new Muhle-EJ razor head is very nice. I recently bough a new Muhle R89; my Gillettes have been idle for quite some time now.

I bought it from Best Grooming Tools - smooth, painless transaction.

If you go to the english shaving co web site, you can select an option to have prices in USD. Further, you will not be charged any tax on your order if you're shipping to the US.

I have ordered from them with no problem with shipping to the USA, and hands down, the EJ89L is just the most beautiful razor. It oozes quality, is fantastically finished and gives me the best shave.

The only issue is that customs and shipping seem to be variable; I got my order (live on the east coast) in about a week, others have been unlucky and its taken a couple of weeks or so. I don't know nor can recall anybody not receiving their order, and the english shaving co is a really first, first class outfit. Thoroughly recommended to deal with, and I order from them with complete confidence.

So has anyone shaved with one of these, perferrably this one? I would love to know if these are high-quality or I should just pass on it.

Yes, me.
It´s the standard Merkur-head.
Mine is gold-plated and the handle is ivory.
Are you interested in it?
It´s not very much used.
Maybe 20 times.

The quality is not so good.
Mine has a scratch on its head.
This scratch was existing before plating it.
Minor fault, but existing.
So there seems to be no good quality management.

Edwin Jagger razors are all that I have ever used. I have not shaved with a Chatsworth, but I do have a Georgian with a faux ivory handle. My daily shaver is an EJ bulbous lined and it is among the heaviest of all DE razors. I find it balances very well and the extra weight aids greatly in control of both pressure (zero) and angle. The Georgian definitely feels head heavy by comparison, but still very well balanced. There are several EJ users here who use all metal EJ Chatsworth razors. They love the style and the extra weight, but if it wasn't giving a quality shave nothing else would matter. My bulbous came with the older Merkur head and I had little to complain about. There was more edge exposure on one side than the other, but the edges were both dead straight. The Georgian came with the newer Muhle head and it is perfect in every way. I made a switch and now the Muhle head sits atop the bulbous handle. I couldn't be happier. I am not a collector of razors so these to will be all I need unless I move to straights.

Last edited:
Yes, me.
It´s the standard Merkur-head.
Mine is gold-plated and the handle is ivory.
Are you interested in it?
It´s not very much used.
Maybe 20 times.

The quality is not so good.
Mine has a scratch on its head.
This scratch was existing before plating it.
Minor fault, but existing.
So there seems to be no good quality management.

The EJ razors are now being sold with the new Muhle/EJ designed head, not the old Merkur head, at least according to the web page.

"Supplied with the newly developed DE head"

It's the same head as I have on my R89 (new model), which I bought from here. Gives a very smooth shave, but is somewhat more aggressive than a Gillette Tech, though not as aggressive as a Gillette SS Red Tip.

I´ve beeing using a new Mühle head for some time.
The head is a great improvement compared to the Merkur ones.
Realy nice. But the balance(I had the original Mühle) was not okay.
The handle is not heavy enough to give a good balance.
But to bee honest, the head is much (MUCH) better
than the Merkur-one.

I´ve beeing using a new Mühle head for some time.
The head is a great improvement compared to the Merkur ones.
Realy nice. But the balance(I had the original Mühle) was not okay.
The handle is not heavy enough to give a good balance.
But to bee honest, the head is much (MUCH) better
than the Merkur-one.
I was very fortunate to have received a Merkur head on my EJ Bulbous which showed none of the sometimes severe quality control issues that were more and more commonly mentioned, It is to Edwin Jagger's and Muhle's credit that they went to such lengths in this collaborative effort. The Muhle head is not just a styling exercise. The fit and finish are what one should expect of a premium item, and a definite improvement over the older Merkur head. I find it to be slightly more aggressive. The even gap on both sides of the head show no difference in performance and my angle doesn't need to be adjusted from one side to the other. The weight would be the only real issue as it was with the original head. Once you ge accustomed to the heft of the all metal EJ razors; Bulbous, Chatsworth, or Loxley ... the polyester handled models will feel decidedly head heavy. The most comfortable of these might well have been the Georgian, which is being discontinued but still can be had at a discount while supplies last. I am sorely tempted to get another, but I much prefer the heavier all metal handles. Putting the Muhle head on the Bulbous handle gave me a perfectly balanced shaving tool - as it was originally - but with a far better shaving head.

I had an EJ Chatsworth. It had the new EJ Head. It was a beautiful razor, well chromed. But compared to my 38C and all other merkur heads, it was a bit milder. So I sold it.

Top Bottom