What's new

Is osage rub the coldest?

As title says is osage rub the coldest. I have had a sample I have been using for a while and wonder if it gets any colder? Should I add some menthol crystals or try ad different as?

As title says is osage rub the coldest. I have had a sample I have been using for a while and wonder if it gets any colder? Should I add some menthol crystals or try ad different as?
'

I have heard it provides the greatest menthol kick, but cannot say myself if it is the coldest. Adding menthol crystals would of course make it even colder, but then you could add menthol crystals to anything and make it very cold.

I haven't experienced anything colder on the cheap end of the A/S spectrum (and I've been through many, but by no means all of them), but who knows about the higher priced stuff? I already stink of mentholated coughdrop when I use this, but I imagine if you didn't care about the scent you could try adding more, but at some point I would think you would experience diminishing returns, perhaps even pain. Where would that point be? I don't know... be sure to let us know!!!

I haven't tried Osage Rub, but I am partial to Billy Jealousy Shaved Ice for something cold. I would be very interested to hear from someone who has tried both and can make a comparison.

The coldest "stock" after shave I have used is Krampert's Finest Frostbite.

Legend is Cryogen takes the cake.

Osage and Snakebite are quite chilly.

Yes, Krampert's Frostbite is COLD and I mean COLD. Cryogen is BITTER-COLD but apparently the coldest of them all hands-down is B&M Arctique.

On my skin Osage Rub is not the coldest. The coldest stuff I have in my menthol bomb arsenal is Cryogen, with Snakebite next in the facial freeze contest. Osage Rub would be third. Gonna have to try B&M Arctique. How anything could be colder than Cryogen just astounds me. Frostbite also intrigues me, but it would likely be down the freeze chart, but I read it has a nice scent to it, while the other menthol hazards smell medicinal to me, but Damn do they all feel great on freshly shaven skin.

On my skin Osage Rub is not the coldest. The coldest stuff I have in my menthol bomb arsenal is Cryogen, with Snakebite next in the facial freeze contest. Osage Rub would be third. Gonna have to try B&M Arctique. How anything could be colder than Cryogen just astounds me. Frostbite also intrigues me, but it would likely be down the freeze chart, but I read it has a nice scent to it, while the other menthol hazards smell medicinal to me, but Damn do they all feel great on freshly shaven skin.

Aside from the chill factor(which is a relative component), Frostbite is very complex and healing for a face freezer. That is what keeps me coming back. I use Snakebite as a "mixer" in my concoctions due to its simplicity. Someday I will try Cryogen and B&M. Osage I use as a scalp rub and an additive to bath water these days.

I added some menthol crystals, to Murray & Lanman Florida Water wow now I love this. But I do have Fine Snakebite

I have Osage, Krampert's and Cryogen sitting on my sink. Cryogen is hands down the coldest, it's not even close. But let me tell you, it's harsh. I can handle it, but it isn't all that enjoyable. I think that Cryogen is an extreme product that probably very few people would use on a regular basis. To me Cryogen is to mentholated aftershaves what Feather blades are to razor blades. Feathers are (IMHO) too sharp, leading to a harsh shave. Yes, they have a devoted following, and for the people that swear by them more power to you, but for most people they are just too much. The same thing applies to Cryogen. It goes past the point of face freeze to being just harsh. The only time I look forward to using the stuff is when i'm sick and need some help clearing out the sinuses. It works great for that. Also, if you're super tired it is quite a punch in the face to wake you up.
After trying out a bunch of heavily mentholated products, I've gained a new appreciation for Osage Rub. For me it's in the Goldilocks "just right" zone: strong enough that you feel it, but not so strong that you worry about the long term health affects you may be inflicting on your face. When I feel like a face freeze, Osage Rub is usually the bottle I reach for. It kills razor burn, provides a good cold rush to my face, and best of all it's cheap.
Krampert's is moderately colder than Osage Rub, and of the three aftershaves I think makes my skin feel the best afterwards. If I have a bad shave or used a too dull blade, Krampert's is great to patch things up. But I'm kinda lukewarm on the Frankincense smell. Cryogen is potent enough that it could be sold as a topical anesthetic. If you have some, try it out next time you get a mosquito bite.

Last edited:
Cryogen and Arctique are on a whole other level. I enjoy menthol but agree with one of the posters above that they are borderline tolerable. I find snakebite similar in menthol strength to Osage. Maybe a hair colder, but nothing approaching Cryogen and Arctique.

I don't find Osage Rub to be any colder than Mennen Skin Bracer. And, Skin Bracer smells better and conditions better.

I make my own very COLD after shave using witch hazel, 91% rubbing alcohol and menthol crystals. I call it IceBath. It conditions well thanks the the witch hazel and is eye wateringly cold thanks to the alcohol and menthol.

I've got Krampert's Frostbite, Fine Snakebite, and Osage Rub - all fantastically refreshing with that great menthol kick! My newest purchase though is Sudsy Soapery's Lavender and Peppermint Aftershave Splash --- wowza! Nice strong long lasting pepperminty menthol goodness! You guys that love the menthol have got to try this!!!!

I've got Krampert's Frostbite, Fine Snakebite, and Osage Rub - all fantastically refreshing with that great menthol kick! My newest purchase though is Sudsy Soapery's Lavender and Peppermint Aftershave Splash --- wowza! Nice strong long lasting pepperminty menthol goodness! You guys that love the menthol have got to try this!!!!

Btw, Sudsy Soapery's Lavender and Peppermint Soap is not mentholated at all and has none of the menthol burn. Of the 50 shaving soaps I own it is definitely one of my top performing soaps!!!

Top Bottom