What's new

What I have learned in the past year(long)

Wet shaver my whole life, DE for about a year, tough dark beard. This forum has been invaluable in the learning process, but here are some things I learned that are not often stated on the forum.

1. I spent over a month learning to lather and mapping my beard while still shaving with my Sensor. It paid off in controlling the variables.

2. Spend as much money as you can on a brush. Any brush can make lather, but the experience is enhanced with a brush that really feels good on your face. I am using a couple of Shavemac custom D01's.

3. I like creams and with proper preparation( a shower and a good quality body soap), any cream can work. Some make lather better than others, some are more lubricating, but they all work. What really distinguishes creams is the scent. I tried dozens of creams and settled on about 6. I use whichever scent strikes my fancy that day.

4. Use a smaller brush for face lathering; it is messier but gives a thicker lather on your face. Use a bigger brush and bowl or scuttle for bowl lathering. It takes more time but there is more of an explosion of aroma pre-shave. Different creams take different amounts of water, but I find I have to shake out my brush, after soaking it, much more than the advice on the forum seems to indicate. It is much easier to add a little water if needed.

5. There is (at least) one blade/razor combination that will give you a DFS in 3 passes, BBS with some touch up. And, it will do it without any irritation, nicks, cuts, or bother. If you haven't found the grail, you can. Try blade samplers, buy and sell razors, but there is no reason to settle for an inferior shave or blood. It may be fun to acquire a bunch of vintage razors, but most of them did not do it for me.

6. I was never an A/S guy but part of the fun and overall experience has been to match balm or A/S with the cream. The scent lasts longer and extends the enjoyment. When going out with the spouse, I even popped for some matching colognes, but those must be used sparingly.

7. This was never about saving any money. It has been about having fun, enjoying the process of shaving more as a hobby than a morning chore.

There is a lot more within the forum, but I wanted to add my gems.

Larry

Thanks, I should have also mentioned that for the first shave with every blade, I use a preshave oil. I could not make honing or corking work, but I do find the first shave with a blade is better with preshave oil.
Larry

Top Bottom