What's new

The MMA Thread

I sure hope this finally turns the tides to the fighters favor.

They deserve so much more money. You guys see the video where Cole Miller explains how crappy the ufc treated him. Check it out, if you can guys

My worry is that with someone like Bjorn Rebney at helm that doesn't bode well.

But I am in favor of most athletes unions as they are meritocracies and it's the athletes that drive the majority of fan interest.

Ben Folkes touched on that. He wondered why they have Bjorn at the helm when they have a real deal living MMA legend/good guy like GSP in the group. Fans and fighters would follow him, while most just know Bjorn as a shady guy who apparently didn't treat his fighters well.

Also, a couple of good fights on tomorrows card. Joe vs. Cejudo, Ellenburger vs. "Pure Bred" Masvidal and Ryangle vs. Grey all appeal to me, aside from the Main Event. MM is so damn good. I like Tim Elliott, but can't see him putting up a huge fight against Johnson.

I think Bjorn is desperate to be important and I think he has a bone to pick with Bellator, the UFC, etc. GSP is great for a face, but he lacks the business/legal experience to really be the leader. Honestly they need an elite leader or labor lawyer (and maybe they have one that the media isn't talking about) like baseball players got in Marvin Miller in the 60s. I think without someone like that they are sunk. Also fighters will have to be like Curt Flood and be willing to go down with the ship, which I don't see many active fighters doing.

Wow, Tim Elliott did better than I had any expectations for him to do. I nearly had a heart attack when he transitioned into that choke in the first round. He looked possessed by the spirit of Genki Sudo in the fourth. I was also really pleasantly surprised at Cejudo's striking, especially in the first round of his fight.

Well, Pettis bunged that one up. The UFC goes to all that trouble, risking Connor's wrath, to make this a title(interim) fight Pay-Per-View and he comes in overweight, making a title bout impossible. Way to go, Wheaties.

Looking forward to Cowboy vs. Brown. A lot.

Also looking forward to seeing Tim vs. Kelvin. I bet Kelvin is absolutely overjoyed to not be the hated "I missed weight" guy on this card, hahaha.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Weight divisions should be for your fighting weight, not what you can starve and dehydrate yourself down to a couple of days before.

Better idea: make height divisions ... right after we figure out how to make the fighters not slouch. (Makes talk of changing divisions more interesting ... if Connor wants togo up a division, I guess he needs thicker shoes or something.)

I watched it. Man, Waterson looked superb. I think that Uriah could have closed it in the first, but that was a good fight. Not a bad night of fights.

I watched it too, lots of good fights.

I am not enjoying the UFC hype machine. I was under the impression that Gall was supposed to be a stepping stone for Sage, that didn't work out so well. And Is Rhonda even fighting anyone at 207 or are they just going to giver her the belt back (lots of sarcasm in this post). I really hope Nunes beats Rhonda, but I don't think she will.

Yeah, the Nunes(the real, actual, current Champ) vs. Ronda promo had Amanda in it for what, 2, 3 seconds?

Sage looked a 10 in the Dana web series. The problem is that he was a 10 in a small organization, and looks more like a 6 against top flight opposition. There were times in the fight where I was a little impressed with him, but Gall just had him. Gall, while occasionally annoying, seems like a bit of a bargain. I don't think he was chosen to win against CM or Sage. The UFC seems to have gotten a little more than they bargained for. I still don't know if I like him all that much, but if he keeps slapping on sweet choke like that I'm pretty sure I will.

Just watched them about 30min ago. What a fight between Pickett and Faber, great way to end a career. Whoa!! At Waterson, made page look terrible. Looks like page might pursue other things following this loss. Sage/gall was pretty good too, gall wanted nothing to do with sages stand-up. And when you say prefight That your opponents stand-up isn't good. Then you better show off yours. And gall didn't.

Top Bottom