What's new

The MMA Thread

i remember rogan saying that hendricks lets himself get up to 220 sometimes, not sure if it's true though.

I think it was Hendricks himself who said he had to stop walking around at 215. This a tough thing for fighters to manage at any weight class. They all obviously start out at elite athletes, but after a certain age it begins to be more of a struggle to maintain that (as it would be for anyone). A lot of times they're faced with a tough decision: step up to a higher weight class, or learn to eat kale.

"Conventional wisdom has a way of going out the window when you're getting kicked in the face."
-a gem of a quote from Joe Rogan

Certainly rang true tonight, but only if you take the "expert" opinions of the analysts with any sort of seriousness.

In my opinion, it was early. But Dan is a champ and had a great attitude and didn't complain. So i guess i cant be that upset ( even though i am)

I'm just upset, because Hendo is one of my favorite fighters, and he has one of THE most impressive resumes in mma history.

Jones is in for a fight in my opinion, Rumble made the guy that took him to the brink look like an amateur. I feel bad for gus, he was embarrassed in front of his whole country. I thought this was gonna be a war, rumble is a beast.

Jones is in for a fight in my opinion, Rumble made the guy that took him to the brink look like an amateur. I feel bad for gus, he was embarrassed in front of his whole country. I thought this was gonna be a war, rumble is a beast.

Agreed. Loosing in your homeland, to a fighter ranker below and in devastating fashion, was hard to watch.

He got destroyed.

Dan's stoppage was early, but he did look out for a moment and his hands went down. Plus he said he couldn't see out of one eye and that's never good.

Had guests over, so stopped watching after the Ogle fight . . . sounds like I missed some fun. Hate to say I told you so with respect to Gus, but . . .

I wish the Hendo fight continued, but only because I know Hendo's durability. Problem is that he took 2 shots to the head, laid down nearly flat, Moussasi even hesitated for a bit, and then delivered another shot that Hendo did not really defend against. That's just something that might bring the ref into the situation. I felt the same way about Benson Henderson when RDA knocked him out. Your legs go and you have to make sure you take pretty much no more damage after that.

Or.... You fight in your home country and the ref will let you eat knuckle sandwiches so that the fans feel like they got their money's worth.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Seemed like they could have subtitled this Fight Night as "Swift Stoppages in Sweden." It would have been nice to see a couple of those fight go an extra 10-15 secs just to be sure, but I guess it was past the refs' beddy bye time (main event 3:30am in Sweden). All in all, good night of fights though.

The results were similar in the last Stockholm event. In fact, Corassani got knocked out that night as well, along with Ilir Latifi and Niklas Backstrom. Kinda feel bad for those fans, because these are all pretty good fighters.

Rumble was a beast. After that eyepoke (which I think was accidental) he just went crazy. His whole demeanor changed, he was a stalking warrior, just hunted him down.

I thought the Hendo stoppage was terrible. It also showed that the actions of a fighter (the winning fighter) can impact the result of a match, I think Roberts stopped it in part because of Moussasi's pulling back on punches. I'm not accusing Gegard of trying to cheat, I think he has a ton of respect for Hendo and genuinely didn't want to hurt him, but that was a bad stoppage. I wonder if they let Gus take more punishment than necessary in part because of Hendo. I still wish Dan had retired after the Shogun fight. I hate to see him continue to lose. I don't think he has the speed to keep up with any ranked fighter any longer.

I thought Davis vs Bader was a draw. I wish they used more 10-10 rounds.

Sam Sicilia had a heck of knock out.

I missed the prelims, heard they were good.

I've been watching Joe Rogan's podcast lately and he had former UFC fighter Justin Wren on there. Justin was on the TUF Heavyweights show that Roy Nelson won, but Wren left fighting and has been living in the Congo working to add water wells there. The sport of MMA gets bad press so much whether it's ignorant statements like human cockfighting (I guess back at UFC 1 that wasn't too far from the truth, but not even close to that now) or Jon Jones using blow, it's awesome to see guys like this giving up a career to help other people. This episode is worth watching.

Apparently nick diaz missed his flight to vegas and therefore missed the open workouts.

I cant help but to think this is a ploy from dana to stir the pot, to draw more interest.

Both Diaz brothers have a history of missing open workouts so it isn't a stretch to think that Nick skipped another one. You could be right and it's manufactured drama, the embedded crew filmed him walking down the ramp to the plane to go to the open workouts.

Weidman out of the Vitor fight. i was looking forward to that, oh well. And lucky charms mcgregor is fighting aldo in july.

Top Bottom