What's new

The MMA Thread

I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with these drug failures.

I read the same thing George.

Edited to add:

I just read that Henderson is fighting Machida next.

Last edited:
I was at fox and hound playing pool last night. Didn't cross my mind that they would show the fights. Lucky for me they did, what a finish by "wonderboy". Typical hendricks making excuses... glad he lost.

Mike Pyle with those hellbows was crazy.

So . . . do you think this loss puts an end to the Hendricks to 185 talk?

Seems like a nice guy - but was no match for the speed and power of Thompson. The day before they made a big deal about the new diet and training regime of Hendricks. And the most boring match had to be the Rosholt - Nelson match.

Hendricks looked to in great shape, lean and not dehydrated either. In the end, he was no match for Thompson and had no answers for the kicks, speed and power.

Didn't Leban just get out of jail for an attempted break in and a felony possession of an assault weapon? I'm pretty sure he is still on probation. I've been a fan of his since he was on TUF, I really hope he cleans up and stays cleaned up.

They are hoping for a halo-effect, like when Lesnar came over and brought the WWWhatever fans with. I watched a Joe Rogan podcast where they discussed the rationale, & how much CM Punk's celebrity status was worth to the UFC (even if only a temporary boost.) I believe that the UFC's peak numbers were during The Lesnar era.

That said, I'd rather have the UFC concentrate on great fights vs. bandwagon fans. I understand the business decision, but it dilutes the product.

That said, I'd rather have the UFC concentrate on great fights vs. bandwagon fans. I understand the business decision, but it dilutes the product.

That's pretty much what we've been dealing with lately.

That, and at least for me. Most of my favorite fighters are out of the game and the ones left are on a serious decline.

CM Punk had a fight booked. Now he's out again. I can't say I care if he ever fights.

This! I'm not a pro wrestling fan and I don't understand the CM Punk draw. I think he gets beat, and beat badly by nearly anyone in the UFC. The guy he was going to fight only has two pro fights.

They are hoping for a halo-effect, like when Lesnar came over and brought the WWWhatever fans with. I watched a Joe Rogan podcast where they discussed the rationale, & how much CM Punk's celebrity status was worth to the UFC (even if only a temporary boost.) I believe that the UFC's peak numbers were during The Lesnar era.

And this!

I get what they are doing. I don't follow WWE, so I had never heard of CM Punk (Phil Brooks) before all his MMA tgalk, but he's supposed to be a really good guy, but I just don't get his signing especially since I know he's going to get a ton of money and yes he is bringing new eyes (hopefully) but he has no business being in the UFC. At least Lesnar had legit creds, NCAA D1 National champ wrestler, I think anyone on the UFC roster will trounce Punk. And they'll get peanuts and he'll take home big bucks. I just hate the UFC being dumbed down so speak like this.

I'm a Leben fan, his fight with Akiyama may be my all time favorite fight, top 5 no doubt, but I don't like to see him returning, the man has some serious demons and I think he is running more risk for further brain damage, which he'll likely self medicate with more drugs. With the signing of top 5 LW and a solid WW Benson Henderson I had hoped Bellator had turned the corner and was going to try to make itself a serious promotion and not a old timer nostalgia tour or street fighter freak show.

I can't believe that Randleman was only 44. Way too young. Although he never equaled that crazy run in Pride, I hope people remember some of the amazing moments he had in the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
So young to die.

On another note, last year Justin Wren gave a talk to a men's group in the church I belong to. He had returned from doing missionary work with pygmies. I see he is back fighting again and has a match on 2/19.

Justin Wren is amazing guy. Check out Water4 and Fight for the Forgotten. Excellent causes.

Check out his interviews on Joe Rogans podcasts.

Top Bottom