What's new

The MMA Thread

Evans had no chance. It happened just as I thought. I didn't think it would make it to 5 rounds though. It must be so frustrating fighting this dude with those long monkey arms. I give Evans credit though for going 5 with him. who can beat jones?

Jones fought a conservative fight, first time I've seen that. Not quite a "Silva" fight but not exciting either. I was rooting for Rashad... I also rooted for Lyoto. Jones is very good, I'd just like to see him lose once and mature from it. I also get a little tired of the UFC "poster boy" treatment of Jones.

I was very impressed by Rory MacDonald.

Dana White just announced that, Jones' next opponent is gonna be Hendo at UFC on Fox 4 in August.

Bonnar, Hammil, Vera, Janitor, Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad and next Hendo...then probably Gustaffson.

This has to be the most impressive run ever.

Last edited:
Evans had no chance. It happened just as I thought. I didn't think it would make it to 5 rounds though. It must be so frustrating fighting this dude with those long monkey arms. I give Evans credit though for going 5 with him. who can beat jones?

I remember people saying the same about Brock Lesner and bang, he was down. It takes time for trainers and fighters to figure out strategies. Of course, Jones will also learn and adjust. That is what makes for a good show.

I didn't think it would make it to 5 rounds though.

Jones fought a conservative fight, first time I've seen that. ...
I was very impressed by Rory MacDonald.

Jones definitely controlled every round and Evans looked flat from the opening bell. Still, I'm not sure we know anything more about Jones as a fighter now than we did before. Evans ended up stifled whenever he tried to gain the initiative, but he didn't bring as much as I think he's capable of--it looked to me like the one hearing voices in the cage was Rashad. I think that Dan Henderson will be an interesting matchup, if only for the fact that he won't be awed by the hype machine and he won't need to cut weight. Plus he's Dan Henderson. Unfortunately, he's Dan Henderson on the backside of his career. I can't imagine him winning, but should be good for two or three good rounds.

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to see that Jones is on the verge of the same kind of domination in his class that Anderson Silva has in his. In fact, they're like variations on the same model. I'm sure that there will be lots of talk about the great fights that Jones could get at heavyweight but I can't imagine that will happen. Henderson is a stopgap and I don't think that Gustafsson is quite ready yet. It'll be interesting to see what the next year at LHW looks like.

MacDonald did look good, but I think that Mills was seriously overmatched. I look forward to seeing MacDonald's next fight.

Last edited:
I remember people saying the same about Brock Lesner and bang, he was down. It takes time for trainers and fighters to figure out strategies. Of course, Jones will also learn and adjust. That is what makes for a good show.

That's a good point and I was one of those people who thought Brock was going to be champ for a long time, and we all know how wrong I was on that one. Jones can be beat, anyone can. When Machida beat Rashad, remember all those cries of the "Machida Era" and Shogun figured him out, so did Jones (I don't count the Rampage decision :wink:). Jones is great though, and I think he is something special. Tremendously versatile with amazing genetic gifts and the best trainer in the business, still I won't go out and say he'll have a run like Anderson Silva, but I certainly think it's possible.

I'm so glad the UFC is back, with the layoff and no football to watch in the interim, I was going nuts.

Any predictions for Miller vs Diaz next weekend?

Most of you know of my hatred of the Diaz brothers and I'm a huge Jim Miller fan, but I'm worried about Little Jim, Nate has a really long reach and is quite good off his back. However, I'm backing my boy, Miller by submission, kneebar.

Pat Barry vs. Lavar Johnson will be fun, two guys with really heavy hands banging. No idea who will win, but it should be fun.

Hendricks vs Koscheck will also be good. Quality power and great wrestling. I think Koscheck takes this one due to his experience.

Belcher vs Palhares, Palhares wins by submission, a leg lock, naturally.

That's a good point and I was one of those people who thought Brock was going to be champ for a long time, and we all know how wrong I was on that one. Jones can be beat, anyone can. When Machida beat Rashad, remember all those cries of the "Machida Era" and Shogun figured him out, so did Jones (I don't count the Rampage decision :wink:). Jones is great though, and I think he is something special. Tremendously versatile with amazing genetic gifts and the best trainer in the business, still I won't go out and say he'll have a run like Anderson Silva, but I certainly think it's possible.

I'm so glad the UFC is back, with the layoff and no football to watch in the interim, I was going nuts.

Any predictions for Miller vs Diaz next weekend?

Most of you know of my hatred of the Diaz brothers and I'm a huge Jim Miller fan, but I'm worried about Little Jim, Nate has a really long reach and is quite good off his back. However, I'm backing my boy, Miller by submission, kneebar.

Pat Barry vs. Lavar Johnson will be fun, two guys with really heavy hands banging. No idea who will win, but it should be fun.

Hendricks vs Koscheck will also be good. Quality power and great wrestling. I think Koscheck takes this one due to his experience.

Belcher vs Palhares, Palhares wins by submission, a leg lock, naturally.

I think the deciding factor will be Diaz's reach and it's going to to much for Miller to overcome.

Pat Barry takes it by devastating leg kicks or KO. I really like Pat Barry and I hope he can put together a nice string of wins.

I'm pulling for Koscheck.

I'm with you on the Belcher vs Palhares fight. :001_smile

I agree that Nate's reach and ground work will be too much for Jim to overcome. The Barry/Johnson fight should be an entertaining and short fight. I think whoever gets tagged first is in big trouble. Barry's striking is a bit more versatile so I will go with him. I am really hoping that Hendricks lands on Koscheck. Short and sweet. My preference is for Belcher to win but does anyone really want to get into the ring with Palhares? That dude plain rips stuff, read "knees", up.

WOW...that TUF live fight tonight was a barn burner...what a fight, back and forth.

both those guys wanted it, which is how it should be every fight.

Going to Madtown Throwdown tonight! We have some good seats, should be a good time.

I haven't been to a local event in ages. They're always fun. I'll have to look around and see what's coming up in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else catch the Invicta FC 1 card last night? Women only card that had a few entertaining fights and one all out war. If you get the chance, watch the replay of Smith vs. Young.

Very impressed with FOX 3 production, and no John Anik as a bonus. Great card and great fights. I wanted the Barry / Lavar fight to go to two rounds... and tree stump got a bit of a lesson.

I personally think it's a decent card. As far as the main event, I'm pretty torn. I'm not really cheering either way as I like and respect both fighters. I don't see Mir winning, but who knows. We've never seen a heavyweight just dominate for a stretch in the UFC, and I'd like to see that. I think the most successful defenses is at 2 for both Randy and Sylvia.

I think that there are some good fights this weekend.

I don't see Mir beating JDS. I don't think that Mir can take JDS down and I believe that's about the only way Mir can win.

Cain and Bigfooot.

Herman vs Nelson

Miocic vs Rosario

Johnson vs Struve

Brandao vs Elkins

Varner vs Barboza

Dollaway vs Miller I'd like to see Dollaway get the win but I think that Miller takes it.

Ludwig vs Hardy, hopefully Hardy gets KO'ed.

Teixeria vs Kingsbury

Sass vs Volkmann

Brown vs Pineda

A few of these are just guesses.

I think I'm pretty much with you Shawn. I suspect that JDS is going to beat Mir badly. I'm not a Mir hater, and it might actually be interesting to see what JDS could do if Mir got him to the ground. I bet that what he would do is stand up and punch Mir very hard, not show that he's ready for the Mundials. Bigfoot is better than the freakshow giants that Pride would serve up, but I don't think he can do much to Cain if he's really recovered from his layoff. Nelson might have a chance if he can get something going in the first round. Otherwise, I think that he'll hang in there and lose the decision. But you never know. The one that I might disagree with you on is Streuve. He's really progressing a lot and this might be a good opportunity for him to make a statement.

I think that this will be Dolloway's swan song in the UFC, but Miller is fully capable of choking. In fact, the undercard could be a farewell for a lot of old faces. Hardy, Brown--a lot of those guys could be destined for regional promotions.

Top Bottom