What's new

The MMA Thread

It was a good fight. Both guys brought it, but the turn and run thing happened at least a few times every round.

DC was in his face, chasing him down, clinching and trying to fight. If Gus hadn't run, the fight would have been finished. DC was ready to fight and impressed me with his aggressiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How do you feel about the new regulations that are banning rehydrating by IV?

Part of me likes it, because I think guys cut way too much weight. But I also don't like telling an adult what to do with their body weight.

Just do the weigh ins on fight day. No time for any shenanigans. Just jump on the scale then go get your hands wrapped and get ready for them to cue your walk on music. That would cut out all this short term weight cut nonsense. Guys could work with a nutritionist to reset their base weight, but cutting for fights would be a much simpler thing because there would be not time for massive rehydration.

I was about to suggest the same thing.

Miocic out with injury. Rothwell calls out browne.

I guess that's a good match up. But i'm kinda bummed out that miocic got injured, the HW div needs to move along. And this stupid cain/werdoom rematch is holding it way back.

Miocic out with injury. Rothwell calls out browne.

I guess that's a good match up. But i'm kinda bummed out that miocic got injured, the HW div needs to move along. And this stupid cain/werdoom rematch is holding it way back.

Read this AM that the Rothwell bout has been pulled as they could not find a replacement.

Read this AM that the Rothwell bout has been pulled as they could not find a replacement.

That's what I saw too. I think it's best.

Though, the wrench is the stupid Cain Rematch. That's awful. No idea why he's getting the shot. I'm wondering if Cain will get hurt and Ben will fill in for the title bout.

Dont know Tim, but miocic could have fought him in Jan. Stipe is ducking now, ha ha.

and the rightful owner of that LHW crown is back!! UFC reinstated Jones. Cormier better not get injured.

As a human - Jones has a long way to go. As a fighter though, he was rarely challenged. I think all he needs is one tune-up fight to disperse the ring rust and he'll have the belt.

So what is Jones' route back into the octagon going to look like? I read an interview with his manager calling for a fight with Cormier next April. There's a lot to be said for that. Even if Cormier beats a rusty Jones, Zuffa would have a rubber match to hype. Is it worth it for Zuffa to promote Cormier v. Bader before that? I don't think that fans are screaming for this fight, but Bader is much more interesting as an opponent for Cormier than as another challenger to a returned Jones.

If they give Cormier another fight first, then Jones needs to do something to generate some revenue. I think they'd have to be careful about who to give Jones for a tune-up because they'll be damaging the marketability of a fighter who could also potentially challenge him for the title (assuming he beats them and beats Cormier--not unreasonable assumptions). I could see hyping a fight with Gus--if he drops back in the queue, there are going to be a lot of fighters ahead of him before he gets another title shot. But as "the guy who almost beat Jones," a non-title fight between Gus and Jones could make sense.

Behind all this, I'm thinking about the clock ticking on Cormier. I thought he looked great against Gus, and his late start in MMA is probably an advantage in terms of damage sustained, but 36 is 36.

Last edited:
IMO, even with the ring rust, Jones comes in and destroys anyone in his path. LHW or HW. Don't like him, but I think he's much better than anyone else out there.

See, this is where it's messed up. Dude is out there legitimately trying to hurt his opponents, with no regard for the ref to pull him off And ignoring his opponents tap. And he gets 2 years? Not his first offense either. Diaz gets caught for weed and gets 5. That makes zero sense.

NSAC IS A JOKE.

Top Bottom