What's new

The MMA Thread

I had it for Diaz by split decision, after watching it online.
Didn't John Mccarthy just post or was speaking on something about a scoring revision for MMA?

That Rory thing was a surprise. I'd have thought that the UFC valued him more. I don't know what Bellator offered him, though. It's very slowly becoming more of a lateral move to go to Bellator, rather than a step back into the B leagues. I think Benson's loss, even though he was out-sized, was a bit of a wake up slap in that regard. Benson's fought bigger guys and won, so the other cat obviously has some skills to go along with it. If they can be as generous to their home grown stars as they are with the fighters they lure away from the UFC it would be great.

GSP...I don't know. It depends, to me, what his motivation is. It's true that he doesn't have anything left to prove, but it's also his decision. If he wants back because he just loves fighting too much to stay away, then good. I really hope he still has a lot of money. He made a lot, and I'd hate to see him wind up as one of those aging fighters who has to fight because they kept messing up financially. He's still young enough to reasonably compete at a high level. I worry because he talked about headaches and "missing time" before he retired. He attributed the time loss to possible alien involvement, but those are both bad neurological symptoms. I hope he's been tested, diagnosed and treated and has a clean bill of health coming back. I'm sure that he realizes that he can diminish his legacy if he comes back and shows poorly, and I hope it's just competitive hunger that is bringing him back.

Do you guys watch the "road to the octagon" shows? They are very well made. I really enjoyed the segment on Maia. Check it out on youtube.

If the fight has a person that I'm really into I'll watch them. UFC has gotten pretty good at these, and they don't seem to skimp on production. This fight has two of my all-time favorite guys, so I did indeed watch.

Do you ever watch BJJ Scout's breakdown videos? Really top notch. Not so much in production, but the content is killer. https://www.youtube.com/user/BJJSCOUT/videos

Just watched maia pt. one. I really enjoyed watching that.

As a BJJ student, i am always paying close attention to him when he fights, he moves incredibly fluent. I wish that someday i can move like that.

i had stopped training BJJ, and focused more on striking ability. But i will get back into it. The last time i trained i had a long training session with the brown belt at the school and i almost made him tap. He got close a few times, but i say he's still a bit better. I need to work my cardio better. But i've been lifting heavier weights lately.

and since work is busy right now. I just dont get home early enough to train like i want to. So i just either go for a quick heavy session at the gym or do a dumbbell workout at home.

Last edited:
I agree. There's no slop in his movements. I remember watching a video of Gokor rolling with someone and it was like watching the other guy get buried under a sand dune. Every tiny inch that the guy opened, Gokor just poured into. Maia reminds me of the same. I really wish he and Roger would have both been at 185 while both were in the UFC. Roger has had the upper hand during BJJ competition when they fought there, but Maia is a better fighter. By far.

Wow. And if he retires, thanks for all the great fights Carlos.

CARLOS CONDIT: ‘I DON’T KNOW IF I HAVE ANY BUSINESS FIGHTING AT THIS LEVEL ANYMORE’

By: Tristen Critchfield
Aug 27, 2016

Carlos Condit considered calling it a career following a heartbreaking loss to Robbie Lawler at the beginning of the year. Now it appears that he may be even closer to hanging up his four-ounce gloves for good.

One bout removed from very nearly claiming welterweight gold, Condit returned to the Octagon at UFC on Fox 21 in Vancouver on Saturday night with a chance to jump right back into the welterweight title picture. However, the evening did not go as planned, as “The Natural Born Killer” was overwhelmed by the grappling of Demian Maia and tapped to a rear-naked choke 1:52 into the first round of their main event clash.

“He’s obviously a super, super high level jiu-jitsu practitioner. He hit me with a shot from half guard that rattled me and I guess I didn’t really expect that,” Condit said. “After that he started moving to mount and I gave up my back because I didn’t want to get hit. I was kind of rocked from that shot. He puts together his passing with his striking very well, and that’s why he’s as good as he is.”

Known for his entertaining style in victory and defeat, Condit managed to land only one significant strike before succumbing to Maia. It was a far cry from his previous outing against Lawler — a bout many thought he won and is one of the frontrunners for “Fight of the Year” for 2016. The defeat has forced Condit to make an honest assessment of where he stands in the UFC, although his perspective probably doesn’t align with the general consensus.

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level any more,” he said. “I’ve been at this for a really long time. The pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade…it’s been awesome. I’ve loved being involved in the sport at the time that I have. I’ve gotten to do what I love for a living for a long period of time. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”

The Jackson-Wink MMA standout has tasted victory just twice in his last seven outings, but four of those setbacks have come against men who either were holding the 170-pound title or had held it at some point. The other, Maia, might be next in line for a championship opportunity.

Still, the notion of retirement is not a new development for the New Mexico native, who turned 32 earlier this year. If there is something that could keep him going, it’s his competitive spirit, which is still quite strong.

“Honestly it’s definitely been in the back of my mind for a while now. It’s been a long career and I think there comes a point in every fighter’s career that they have to question how long they’re going to continue to do that,” Condit said. “And I’ve been doing that for a while. It wasn’t my night tonight.

“I don’t know if that’s going to be the swan song for me. Hopefully not. I would hate to go out on a loss like this. I would have at least like to have got in there and put on an exciting show like I usually do. But I don’t know what’s in the cards. I’m leaning towards probably, possibly being done.”

Condit has been fighting professionally since he was a teenager. Over the course of 40 documented fights, there have been plenty of wars that left both Condit and his opponent bloodied and battered. He has never been knocked out (his lone TKO loss to Tyron Woodley was the result of a knee injury), which is a credit a reliable chin. At some point, however, that durability fades, and Condit, a noted family man, doesn’t seem to want to be around when that moment arrives.

“Some aspects I definitely am passionate about. I love the preparation. I trained really hard for this camp,” he said. “I’ve had a long career with a lot of fights, and I’ve taken a lot of punishment.

“I don’t know if I can continue to take shots, honestly.”

I thought Lauzon won the fight. I thought he was out stiking Miller on the feet, he had the take downs, and he was putting the pressure on Miller. It was still a great fight and I think that they deserved fight of the night.

Pettis looked great. I hope he is successful at 145.

I did not expect Condit to go out like that. Maia just blew through him.

Pretty good card

van zant looked like a killer in there. That switch kick to the face was beautiful. Pettis finished strong, but that fight was no walk in the park for him in my opinion. He definitely had his hands full with charles.

Kinda thought the same with the lauzon/miller fight. Looked like joe had more control on the ground. I like both fighters, but these judges...

I agree with the Lauzon fight. I thought that Miller got the better of more of the striking exchanges, but not so much as to negate all the takedowns and ground control that Joe had amassed.

Pettis' win left me just as uncertain as I was before. Not to take anything away from Charles, but Pettis was the top dog there for a long time and made some top flight fighters look sub-par.

It's a possibility. He may just have been broken by his loss to RDA. He came back pretty strong when he lost to Guida, though. USADA takes over and he loses three straight and looks less than amazing in his last win. The level of competition didn't just massively jump while he was recuperating from the RDA fight.

At this point, i'm not surprised by anyone testing positive.

it seems to be the norm now.

That's pretty much how I feel, with a few exceptions. If GSP comes back and tests positive I would be surprised. I have always suspected the guys who look like they are almost ready to compete in a body building contest or who look like Vitor when he was using testosterone.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I feel, with a few exceptions. If GSP comes back and tests positive I would be surprised. I have always suspected the guys who look like they are almost ready to compete in a body building contest or who look like Vitor when he was using testosterone.

Me too. I've lost a lot of interest in MMA the past few months to a year. I don't recall the last time I missed a card, but have missed a few this month already.

The match ups, the PED, the out of ring crap....it's not making me want to watch it as much.

Top Bottom