What's new

The MMA Thread

Man, i dont even know what to say. Besides that i neve thought lyoto would get beat like that. Damn, feels bad man. He's been one my favorite fighters for years.

Man, i dont even know what to say. Besides that i neve thought lyoto would get beat like that. Damn, feels bad man. He's been one my favorite fighters for years.
He was completely dominated or off his game, he offered nothing tonight.

Sam as Cub.

I have always been a fan of Machida's, but I thought that Rockhold would probably edge him in a decision. Never imagined that he would be beaten so badly. I was surprised at Cub's performance too. Holloway looked like he was moving on a different speed.

I continue to try to keep an open mind about WMMA, but I'm just not feeling it. I suppose that there must be a demographic out there that wants to see beautiful women thrashing each other with their elite MMA skils, but they must be disappointed on both counts too. I'm going to write to Dana and suggest that they replace these WMMA fights with a dance-off between the ring girls followed by a man fighting a bear.

I think we've gotten past the whole novelty of women fighting in MMA. I think they've proven that they are for real, and it could be argued that a certain woman is the current face of MMA.

Oh, she's definitely the face of MMA. But I don't think that they've proven that they're real by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that they aren't as terrible as hardcore fans thought they'd be is pretty faint praise. Gyms are packed with guys with the same skill set or better than all but the top professional women fighters. The success of WMMA says more about what people are willing to watch than their ability to fight.

They just come out so sloppy, and scappy, which is completely different style from the men. Last night they both charged the center and were kicking, bunching and grabbing...that just doesn't happen with guys or against a good woman fighter. If either of those had charged Rhonda, the fight would have been over in 28 sec.

If these are top rated women fighters and are some of the good as it gets, it is still pretty bad. I find myself FF'ing most of the fights, but did stick out last night's as I wanted too see the hype of the new girl.

She was impressive in her pressure and grappling, buy was still a pretty bad overall.

I would beg to differ. If you think back to what men's MMA was like in it's infancy, it was also somewhat of a freakshow, with skill levels that varied from awesome (Rousey) to rudimentary (Angela Magana) to everything in between. The women's fight game is still only 3-5 years old as a "serious" sport (if that long). We are watching the growing pains, and the successes (failures, too) of a new thing. I think it is going to be great, as we are already seeing mew faces coming into the sport with wider skillsets than the originators. Are some being rushed to the fore ahead of their skills (PvZ)? Perhaps . . . but the genre needs faces to keep it in the public eye. How do you think Randy became a legend? Or Tito and Chuck? Marketable guys whose skills, by comparison to today's stars, were somewhat limited.

What would they need to do to prove themselves?

Fight better!

They just come out so sloppy, and scappy, which is completely different style from the men. Last night they both charged the center and were kicking, bunching and grabbing...that just doesn't happen with guys or against a good woman fighter. If either of those had charged Rhonda, the fight would have been over in 28 sec.

If these are top rated women fighters and are some of the good as it gets, it is still pretty bad. I find myself FF'ing most of the fights, but did stick out last night's as I wanted too see the hype of the new girl.

She was impressive in her pressure and grappling, buy was still a pretty bad overall.

You are absolutely right about charging to the center of the ring. It was like they had watched Wanderlei's highlight reel before getting into the cage.

Orville, I see what you're saying and I think that WMMA will continue to improve from where it started. But I think it's only going to be great in comparison to how bad it was when it began. I can't ever imagine a situation in which a full card of top WMMA fights will be as interesting as a routine card of men (although Zuffa has put some poor events together recently that might test my theory). No doubt there will be some phenomenal women fighters. But the pool of talent is significantly shallower and there are far less damaging and more rewarding directions for women athletes to go. There is nothing comparable to collegiate wrestling to feed athletes with a transferable skill set into WMMA. Likewise, I don't see competitive judo or jiu-jitsu as flooding the cage with versatile women either (if that were true, MMA would still be dominated by male Gracies).

WMMA will get better. But I'd rather see a full card of talented women who could be judged by a different standard than having a random overhyped fight stuck into a PPV or a main card.

Rockminer--by fight better, I mean a fight where both competitors demonstrate a versatile, high-level set of of mixed martial arts skills with the ferocity and endurance to employ them over the course of a three to five round fight. I mean that they should perform in such a way as to merit a favorable comparison to every other event on the same card.

Last edited:
I would beg to differ. If you think back to what men's MMA was like in it's infancy, it was also somewhat of a freakshow, with skill levels that varied from awesome (Rousey) to rudimentary (Angela Magana) to everything in between. The women's fight game is still only 3-5 years old as a "serious" sport (if that long). We are watching the growing pains, and the successes (failures, too) of a new thing. I think it is going to be great, as we are already seeing mew faces coming into the sport with wider skillsets than the originators. Are some being rushed to the fore ahead of their skills (PvZ)? Perhaps . . . but the genre needs faces to keep it in the public eye. How do you think Randy became a legend? Or Tito and Chuck? Marketable guys whose skills, by comparison to today's stars, were somewhat limited.

Couldn't agree more. A good example of a women's sport that evolved at the same time as the men's is tennis. An example of a sport where women have not evolved from the same time as men is hockey.

So, what you're saying is, it's a lot like watching Griffin - Bonnar in the TUF 1 finale?

You saying that Women's MMA. as a serious part of the sport is NOT in it's infancy?

Not sure what you're getting at, but personally, I think women's MMA sucks.

Yeah, it's in it's infancy but the majority of their fights should be on undercards and not on the main card. Stick one in here and there (as they do), but there is no need to put one on every card. The odd ones is watchable, the odd woman is a respectable fighter, but I have little to no interest in following it. Just my opinion and I have no issues with people who like it and want to watch it grow. Some may love it, I don't.

I don't have the desire to watch it grow and can see a WNBA scenario happening in a couple years or less.

Last edited:
Only thing that's annoying to me about women's mma, is all the talk about girl fighters being able to beat male mma fighters. I guess it's mostly about Ronda stomping on the men's 135 lb division and being able to make it into the top 3 (rogan must be smoking some weed to say this)

and then Dana makes some ******* comment about van zant being able to beat up Floyd Mayweather. I mean, c'mon that's some straight up BS.

back when I was in high school, there was this girl who decided to join the wrestling team. She might have been a little bit bigger than a few of the guys, but in all four years she could never beat any of us in a match.

I dont have have a problem with wmma, but the statements made lately are getting out of hand.

Top Bottom