What's new

The MMA Thread

Gastelum did well and he has impressed me. I believe he was considered an underdog when on TUF, and it shows what hard work and heart can produce.

I think Gatelum is the real deal. Always the underdog and he just keeps winning.

Werdum really impressed me. Poor ole Hunt. I like him. But Fabricio learned how to strike. Wow. A far cry from the guy laying on the ground pleading with Overeem to grapple with him.

Tito vs Bonnar was an embarrassment to the sport. Oh and Tito got a fine from the CSAC for unsportsmanlike conduct, a whopping 0.83 % of his pay.

The UFC hyped a huge announcement was coming last night at a press conference. That announcement never came. They've got to stop promising big news and flopping.

There are a lot of interesting things to talk about after UFC 180, but this is what I've been thinking about as I read all the post-fight discussions on line. What the heck happened to Jake Ellenberger? He just hasn't been the same since he clocked Nate Marquardt at UFC 158. I know that the history of MMA is filled with guys that came on strong early on, only to fizzle out when they hit consistently top-level competition. Is that what happened with Ellenberger?

I think some guys get to the top, or near the top and they get beaten and never recover. I thought Nate Quarry and David Loiseau were both going to go far and neither one seemed to recover after being in a war with Rich Franklin. Loiseau got cut from the UFC, fought his way back and he was a shell of his former self. Also, maybe Gastelum is going to go far, he seems to be on a roll.

Also, have you guys seen this picture?
http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/event/1/Pictures-UFC-Press-Conference-77453#photo-6
Anderson looks huge next to Diaz.

Last edited:
I think some guys get to the top, or near the top and they get beaten and never recover. I thought Nate Quarry and David Loiseau were both going to go far and neither one seemed to recover after being in a war with Rich Franklin. Loiseau got cut from the UFC, fought his way back and he was a shell of his former self. .

I was a huge Loiseau fan back in the day. Sad to see him never really take off. Nate Quarry was pushed way too fast and was just outclassed and overwhelmed in his Franklin fight.

I think something that happens more often than not is the peak of a young great fighter not aligning with the window of opportunity provided by the UFC. When he reeled off 6 straight wins after his loss with Condit, I would say that he was hitting his prime. But it's so hard to maintain that in this sport and a loss to Kampmann kind of thwarted his rise and now he's just becoming a proverbial gatekeeper. His last three losses have been to top guys though.

I will say I'm very excited to see Woodley VS Gastelum. If Woodley can't take him out in the 1st round I think his chances go down exponentially and Gastelum subs him.

There were some great fights last night!

Edson Barboza kicks like a mule and Bobby Green is tough as nails.

I've been a Frankie fan for a long time, and last night made me a bigger fan.

Barboza is scary, he was beating Cerrone, before Donald caught him. And Donald being the crafty guy he is immediately went for the submission, if he had gone for the TKO, I think Barboza would have rallied and beat him. But I disgress...Green is a top tier talent Barboza kicks, hurts just to watch them.

I got back from Florida yesterday, turned on the TV and was surprised to see some fights on. I'll be watching them on the PVR, hopefully tonight.

Sounds like there were some good fights.

I thought Cerrone got lucky with the submission win over Barboza. Maybe lucky isn't the right word, Cerrone was getting picked apart by Barboza, and than Donald caught Barboza.

If Barboza can stop take downs in his future matches he is going to go far.

So who do you think gets the title shot? Edgar or McGregor?

My guess is should McGregor knock out Denis Siver, Conor gets the shot.

Wouldn't surprise me if Frankie is put up against Chad Mendes next, maybe Richardo Lamas.

So who do you think gets the title shot? Edgar or McGregor?

My guess is should McGregor knock out Denis Siver, Conor gets the shot.

Wouldn't surprise me if Frankie is put up against Chad Mendes next, maybe Richardo Lamas.

As much as it bothers me I think McGregor is gong to get the title shot if he gets past Siver. And I hope Siver puts him away in the first round.

No doubt about it, if McGregor wins he gets a title shot over Edgar, unless McGregor scews up and gets caught in mischief outside the ring.

He's a bigger draw then watching Edgar get his 14th shot at a title.

No doubt about it, if McGregor wins he gets a title shot over Edgar, unless McGregor scews up and gets caught in mischief outside the ring.

He's a bigger draw then watching Edgar get his 14th shot at a title.

I hate that you're right. I would rather see Edgar get his 14th title shot though.

I hate that you're right. I would rather see Edgar get his 14th title shot though.

Me too. I think Edgar has earned the shot. I don't think McGregor has. This may sound odd, but I think if McGregor gets the shot after beating an unranked*** guy like Siver I think the UFC (ie Dana) believes Conor will get crushed by Jose Aldo. I know that sounds odd, but remember how slowly they brought on Jones, kept giving him more guys before he got a shot. He had 7 straight UFC wins before a shot (I count his destruction of Matt Hamill as a win) and he only got the shot when he did due to Rashad Evans being injured. I think they viewed him as the future. I think they view Conor as an entertainer more than a fighter, once he loses his hype train derails, if Richardo Lamas or another wrestler grinds him out for 3 rounds, he loses his appeal. They are trying to cash in now while Conor is putting butts in the seats.

*** I personally consider Siver unranked. He has never beaten a ranked UFC featherweight. So I don't rank him. However the UFC has him at 8 or 9. I can't figure out why.

Edgar is 3-3 in his last six fights, but against some top competition.

I think Frankie is a great fighter he has quite a few loses and decisions. He rose up the ranks fast then fizzled out and lost his momentum and draw with the multiple triple fights with Maynard, Benson and BJ.

9 of his 18 UFC fights are against three opponents and 9 of his 18 wins are decision. Both trilogy fights with Maynard (1 win in last 4 years) and BJ (1 win in last 5 years) did squat to elevate Edgar in my eyes and in terms of his fighting ability.

I don't know what's best for him at this stage of his UFC career but I don't see him as a top draw for PPV any more and don't think he'd hold the belt long if he was to get it.

Last edited:
I think they view Conor as an entertainer more than a fighter, once he loses his hype train derails, if Richardo Lamas or another wrestler grinds him out for 3 rounds, he loses his appeal. They are trying to cash in now while Conor is putting butts in the seats.

I think you're exactly right. UFC would be crazy to squander all the buzz around Conor. No doubt Aldo tears him up, and Frankie will waiting in the wings after that.

A week and a half away is a big card. UFC 181

Hendricks vs Lawler II
Pettis vs Hendricks
Schaub vs Browne
Duffee vs Hamilton
Ferguson vs Trujillo

Faber vs Rivera
Gordon vs Samman

Two title fights. I think I'm more excited for the 155 fight though than the 170.

Agreed, I am very excited to watch the lightweight title fight. I got Gilbert Melendez and Robbie Lawler winning this weekend.

Top Bottom