What's new

The MMA Thread

Man, it really sucks thats he had to do mandatory military time. He could have been a champ in my opinion. Very solid ground game and his standup was evolving.

His problem was that, as you say, he had a better ground game than his standup, but insisted on fighting on the feet a lot of the time. The worst underrated thing to have is a ground game - because that means people aren't getting to see it - and the best underrated thing to have is a chin - because it means you aren't getting hit much.

I kind of wish BJ would stay out as well. However, he's a nice feather in Jung's cap if he wins, and Jung is coming off of a long layoff, so BJ has a chance, so it's a plausible fight.

I read that the new owners are "only" laying off 10% of the employees. I wonder if that includes fighters? 500+ fighter plus dozens, if not hundreds of employees worldwide...10% could be a lot of folks. The fighters are only considered not formal employees when it suits the brass, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Kind of on that note, what do you think of Pederneiras' opinion that the UFC is not promoting fighters as well as they could? 500 fighters, but only 3 or 4 big stars? I agree that if a fighter wants to be big, they need to foot their share of the work promotionally, but Pederneiras' statement makes sense too.

I don't know enough about the business side of running a sports league / events. We've all seen the tension between being true to the sport, and promoting MMA in ways that feel tacky, just to attract a wider audience. The matchmaking has not been logical at times because of executive decisions primarily around promotion. I'm hoping that some of this was driven to pump up the revenue prior to the acquisition, and that this behavior starts to shift to something that feels more stable or more authentic to the sport. Maybe making the promotion more corporate will solve some of this... maybe not.

How the heck do you promote 500 fighters? Isn't that mutually exclusive? Once the number of fighters is that high, the events are so frequent, and some of the cards are weak, it makes me wonder what the "right" size should be for UFC. I don't have an answer, just wondering out loud.

I wonder the same thing. I don't have an answer, which is probably why I'm not a part of the UFC's upper management, hahaha. I don't think that a lot of weak events is a good thing. A potential fan/consumer could decide to watch and decide that it's boring, but at the same time you can't really judge how an event will go before it happens. Plenty of cards that looked bad that turned out to be good. Same thing the other way around. I do however think that the lack of support that is shown to upcoming and less known fighters sure doesn't seem motivate them to do a better job.

Kind of on that note, what do you think of Pederneiras' opinion that the UFC is not promoting fighters as well as they could? 500 fighters, but only 3 or 4 big stars? I agree that if a fighter wants to be big, they need to foot their share of the work promotionally, but Pederneiras' statement makes sense too.

it's probably way too difficult to do that. i do think that it's up to the fighter to make their voice heard. but instead of taking the conor route. People also like to see the way GSP. Couture, franklin acted in and out of the cage.

You can be loud without your mouth.

Shane Carwin said he's signed with Rizin and is fighting Fedor. Man, that could be a good fight. At the top of his game Fedor probably would have handled him, but now I'm not so positive.

I hoped Shane would come back to the UFC but with all the drama maybe he thought he could do better monetarily elsewhere. I like both Fedor and Carwin. I'll be cheering for Fedor but I think Carwin takes it.

Fedor's chin isn't what it used to be, and Carwin has that massive power. If Fedor tries to wade in with big, wide shots like he has then I see Shane popping a straight, or with his power a stiff jab, down the middle and possibly KO'ing Fedor. I also like Fedor more, and I think he's the more complete fighter, but he's going to be really careful on this one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How the heck do you promote 500 fighters? Isn't that mutually exclusive? Once the number of fighters is that high, the events are so frequent, and some of the cards are weak, it makes me wonder what the "right" size should be for UFC. I don't have an answer, just wondering out loud.

Oddly, the most popular division over the past couple years (arguably) has been the women's division (Ronda Rousey & co) and I'd put a lot of that onto having one or two dominant & compelling fighter(s) rather than a dozen or more fighters who are arguably more or less about even fighters. But at the same time, I think we can see how the women's division is coming into difficult times, where any fight of interest will end up being the third or fourth time the two fighters have fought ... and while Ali v. Frazier is a legendary trilogy, typically what I hear more is "why on earth do we need to see X and Y fight yet again??".

In part, we want to see "fairness" in the fight selection process. We have seen major league sports where teams play long regular seasons to establish a pecking order for the playoffs, without having to worry about a League Commissioner decide "standings be damned, the fans want to see the Yankees in the World Series again". On the other hand, we see problems in boxing where matches everyone wants to see and thinks should happen ... never do. How long did we have to wait for Pacquiao v. Mayweather for one reason or another (mostly due to one fighter or the other not liking the conditions demanded by the other fighter's "camp") and we all thought ... we need a "boss of boxing" who could compel these two guys to fight! (So we don't have to wait waaaaay too long until they're both waaaaay too old.)

I think that in the UFC world they could strike a nice balance between "fairness" and "destiny matches" if they wanted to, and that would likely do better to promote the longterm health of the sport, both as an honest competitive endeavour and as a spectator sport. But right now, it seems to be much more like the WWF ... er, the WWE I guess it is now ... where it is all up to the boss to pick what he thinks will put bums in seats (and $$ in PPVs).

I was gonna respond to some of your posts guys. But then i saw this...

In 2012, Diaz was given an interim welterweight title shot against Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 143. Ultimately, Diaz lost the fight via controversial decision, with Carlos Condit being awarded the win, as well as the welterweight championship. In his next Octagon outing nearly a year later, Diaz faced welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre for the undisputed welterweight championship, losing the fight via unanimous decision.
Now, following reports that Georges St-Pierre will not be returning to face Michael Bisping in the main event of UFC 206 in Toronto for the middleweight championship, SmackHisFace.com is reporting that they have received word that Nick Diaz has been offered the fight with Bisping. According to the report, the only hold-up for the bout is that Diaz has yet to pay his $70,000 fine from the NSAC following his failed drug test for marijuana back in January of 2015.

This report comes on the heels of UFC President Dana White recently stating that Diaz is ready to make his return to the Octagon. In the days following White’s announcement, Georges St-Pierre took to social media, where he revealed that negotiations with the UFC didn’t go well, and he will not be fighting Michael Bisping in Toronto at UFC 206.

This isn’t the first time that Diaz and Bisping have been linked to a fight, recently Michael Bisping revealed that during a coincidental run-in, Diaz brought up a potential fight between the two. Bisping went on record as saying that at the time of the run-in, Diaz stated that the pair should fight at catchweight, however the newly released report indicates that the fight would be for Bisping’s middleweight championship

Ok, no Ultimate Fighter for two straight weeks, did I miss something? I heard that the new ownership was going to axe the show but I thought they'd at least let this season finish.

Steve

I was like, "They got three! How many does he have?!"

Also, did you guys see that the two time Olympic Gold medalist in Judo Kayla Harrison signed with WSOF? Everybody seem to want to immediately start with the Ronda comparisons, but she seem kind of reluctant for that. She wants to give it a shot and see how she does. Seems to have a good, realistic outlook on it. I'm interested to see how she does.

She competes in judo at 172 pounds. Likely won't ever be down to any routine women's mma weight classes. The judo comparison is obvious with Rousey but Kayla is much better and from everything I've seen she's a terrific person unlike Ronda.

Oddly, the most popular division over the past couple years (arguably) has been the women's division (Ronda Rousey & co) and I'd put a lot of that onto having one or two dominant & compelling fighter(s) rather than a dozen or more fighters who are arguably more or less about even fighters. But at the same time, I think we can see how the women's division is coming into difficult times, where any fight of interest will end up being the third or fourth time the two fighters have fought ... and while Ali v. Frazier is a legendary trilogy, typically what I hear more is "why on earth do we need to see X and Y fight yet again??".

In part, we want to see "fairness" in the fight selection process. We have seen major league sports where teams play long regular seasons to establish a pecking order for the playoffs, without having to worry about a League Commissioner decide "standings be damned, the fans want to see the Yankees in the World Series again". On the other hand, we see problems in boxing where matches everyone wants to see and thinks should happen ... never do. How long did we have to wait for Pacquiao v. Mayweather for one reason or another (mostly due to one fighter or the other not liking the conditions demanded by the other fighter's "camp") and we all thought ... we need a "boss of boxing" who could compel these two guys to fight! (So we don't have to wait waaaaay too long until they're both waaaaay too old.)

I think that in the UFC world they could strike a nice balance between "fairness" and "destiny matches" if they wanted to, and that would likely do better to promote the longterm health of the sport, both as an honest competitive endeavour and as a spectator sport. But right now, it seems to be much more like the WWF ... er, the WWE I guess it is now ... where it is all up to the boss to pick what he thinks will put bums in seats (and $$ in PPVs).

I miss old Bellator's season tournament format.

She competes in judo at 172 pounds. Likely won't ever be down to any routine women's mma weight classes. The judo comparison is obvious with Rousey but Kayla is much better and from everything I've seen she's a terrific person unlike Ronda.

To be fair, though, judo is generally same-day weigh-ins and MMA is usually overnight. The UFC definitely is. The longer the period between the weigh-in, the more you can rehydrate, so the more you can cut. Rousey competed at 154 in judo, and now makes it to 135 without problems. You`re probably right that Harrison couldn't make it down to 135 easily, but who knows? Some people can cut crazy amounts.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... In the days following White’s announcement, Georges St-Pierre took to social media, where he revealed that negotiations with the UFC didn’t go well, and he will not be fighting Michael Bisping in Toronto at UFC 206. ...

When I see the failure to get GSP back ... for a PPV in Canada, of all places ... it makes me think that the UFC is nowadays more interested in nickle-and-dime maintenance of where they are in the sporting world rather than continued growth and expansion into mainstream popularity. Not that GSP is the be-all and end-all of MMA, but he's a well-respected champion and one of the all-time greats still in what is probably his prime (although toward the end of that). Getting him back in the ring for one more run at the belt, for a chance to square off with the next generation's best and even for a "supermatch" or two, over the next year or three would be a great opportunity ... but I'm guessing that UFC didn't want to spend the coin to make it happen. Even if GSP could bring in the attendance and PPV purchases to justify what they'd pay him, I suspect UFC didn't want to set a precedent of paying "that much", as many of the "headliners" who come after (and even today elsewhere in UFC) would expect, but not really justify, that sort of payday.

Top Bottom