What's new

The MMA Thread

He was putting a clinic on that boy!

MAN, herb "early stoppage" dean strikes again. Brunson missed ALL of his follow up punches on the ground. He just cost urijah hall a loss. I cant stand that ref

Yeah, that was way early. I'm not a massive Hall fan, but he deserved a few more seconds at least. He wasn't given a chance really at all.

Also never really a Michael Johnson fan. Still not. That was the most annoying win I've seen in a long time, hahaha.

So lately we have had a few new guys in the thread. I wanted to re- introduce myself just to know each other better.

I am an electrician by trade, hobbies include making brushes and woodworking in general.

I do like to train in MMA, i have wrestled (4 years of HS), BJJ, (non stop like 3 yrs after HS), been on and off since (currently off), boxing since i was 14 (stopped around 21). I was training muay thai a few yrs ago, and was looking to get an amateur fight, but after i turned 30 i decided not to. I had sparred hard with a few of the pro's at the gym and i found out real quick i was lacking in the striking dept. I can hold my own on the ground, but you can't just be good at one thing.

I am currently looking to train again, but work is a bit overwhelming now.

As far as BJJ level, i guess i would be close to a brown. I have rolled with a few guys who are high level brown belts and i have held my own and almost made a few tap.

i do like to watch other sports, like football, some soccer and boxing. No mma match will provide a clean beautiful showcase of striking like boxing does. I really would love to see a pure boxer, that has amazing takedown defense try his hand at mma. The results would be amazing KO's.

lately as you guys can tell, the ufc has been losing my interest. Most of these guys are about money and money. Very few have the bushido "way of the warrior" mentality anymore. They lack heart and soul. Hopefully we get a few guys that just like to fight.

that's basically me in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Pleased to meet you.

My martial arts experience is pretty limited. Couple of years doing Kenpo is all the formal training I can claim. Never really got into it. I discovered grappling and for a few years collected books on it and tried making it work with my brothers. Never got very good. I unfortunately live in a sparsely populated area, and there were no BJJ schools around until a couple of years ago. There are a couple now, but all are three or four towns over, and I can't afford fees and transportation at the moment. I really hope one opens a little closer, especially one that offers no-gi. I'm missing most of several fingers, and have some osteoporosis in one hand, so grip fighting can get tricky and I prefer to go with hooks and the such.

The UFC is getting like that, unfortunately. They still have the lion's share of my favorite fighters, but I feel like if they continue on their current path they should just do away with rankings altogether and make fights solely on popularity. It's almost completely that way already, and their insistence that everything they do is legitimate just makes them look like liars and fools.

Unfortunately, the other organizations just don't put out a product that is close to comparable yet. Bellator has acquired a few good fighters, and have some good one that they've raised, but they embraced the circus match to a level that even the UFC winces at. Not that I don't appreciate it. I like to see some of the old guard getting into it occasionally, so long as it's what they want. I also don't get Spike TV anymore, so that throws a wrinkle into it, hahaha. WSOF, Legacy and RFA try, but they are very distant in numbers and quality.

Another reason I liked GSP as a champion was his insistence on being a good role model. Most of the time you see guys and gals acting tough and "keeping it real", and I don't appreciate the style. I like fighters and champs that I can point to and say "That right there, see? Successful and respectful, that's what you want to be." GSP and Frankie Edgar are probably my favorite examples in recent history. There are some guys who behave reasonably scummy, like Palhares, that I love to watch based on their amazing submission abilities, but I can't help that. I think that in his time Fedor was a good example as well. He took being a role model very seriously.

I think my three favorite fighters of all time would be Sakuraba, Big Nog and Megumi Fujii.

I used to be a basketball fan when I was a kid, but grew to appreciate individual competition more. I love watching grappling and kickboxing(Muay Thai/San Shou/etc) matches. Not a big fan of point fighting, though.

Saku has to be top 10 all time fighter.

read some news on the 'dog. It appears that conor will not be getting his shot at Alvarez for the 155 title. Khabib nurmagomedov will get it instead.

maybe the owners will turn out ok.

That would be great. Praying that Khabib doesn't slip on a banana peel and break his knees or something. Can't imagine the level of his success if he would have been able to stay in one piece for any extended period of time.

Kind of interested to see how Nover does against Barao. Nover was so dominant on TUF up until the last fight, and then he seemed to shut down. Hasn't shown any of that killer skill since then. He'll want to be prepared for this fight, though. Even a slowed down Barao is pretty scary.

Not sure what will happen to him. But i cant stand nelson, i was hoping bigfoot would win. He was doing good for a while, then he stopped setting up kicks and counters. Then nelson took over.

cyborg looked crazy dominant tonight. Not even sure who they should have fight next. Nover didn't look bad at all in there, hope he stays and doesnt get cut. Good fight.

godofredo pepey is an insane fighter! That was so crazy!

erick silva showed a lot of poise in that fight, i thought that fight was kinda even going into the 3rd.

Spicely wih the upset! That was nice to watch, but if he doesnt learn striking he wont go far.

felder/trinaldo, not much of a felder fan (dont like his personality, specially after the barboza fight). Good win for trinaldo.

not sure if i forgot any fights. Those were all i watched, but it was a solid entertaining card.

tanaka vs yahya was a very entertaining ground fight. Tanaka looked like he wanted to stand and bang, but i was impressed by his judo throws and ground defense. I can't wait to see him fight again.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Pepey fight was crazy. If he had done that against a guy real good at shooting them straight down the pipe he would have been in trouble with that wild swinging, but damn if it wasn't exciting, hahaha.

I don't know about Cyborg. Unlike the majority of her other opponents, Lina wasn't physically smaller. Cyborg was stronger, but she's stronger than most guys her size(that's not a pot shot, she's crazy strong). I just have to say that the UFC should bite down and either make a 145 class or let her just keep fighting in Invicta exclusively. She walks around at like 180, refuses to lose any actual body weight, makes stupid excuses for it(losing five or ten pounds of muscle isn't going to literally kill you or render you barren) and it's just gross to hear her making these excuses, all the while looking like she's the one being treated unreasonably. She just wants a size and strength advantage. Like I have said before, I don't dislike her, but I dislike that about her intensely.

Lots of good fights last night.

Cyborg looked amazing! The combinations she was putting together reminded me of Anderson Silva. If they are able to set up a fight with Rousey and the Cyborg who showed up last night shows up for that fight it's going to be a rough night for Rousey.

I thought the BigFoot stoppage was fine. I didn't think it was a late stoppage at all. I'm guessing that Nelson gets some type of fine.

Dana doesn't like Roy, wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.

Cyborg is the best female fighter in the world. Don't see her losing an mma match to anyone.

Anyone watch the Rizin event? I only read about it on sherdog, and cro cop and Wanderlei will fight in december. I'm actually sort of lookin forward to that fight.

the only experience i have with weight cutting was back in high school. Coach wanted me to cut 10 lbs to wrestle at the 125lb class. I did it once and i felt so bad. I ended up getting beat and i never did it again. I just stayed at 135 and wrestled bigger dudes.

if rumble could cut ALL that weight to make 170 (he did misss weight more than a few times). I think cyborg can do so as well. It may take some time, but she could do it. Now, i have no idea how a womans body responds to a weight cut. So i guess we may never know. Florian did say it could be a negotiation tactic by cyborg, and that more money being thrown at her might help shed the lbs.

I watched a few of the fights. Man, CroCop looked absolutely jacked, hahaha. Tokoro did pretty well against Kron, considering how much of the fight was spent on the ground. Krazy Horse was crazy again.

Just watched a couple more. Both the Yamamoto fights. The Erson fight really brought back some Pride memories, and reminded me of why I love and hate the ring, hahaha. Hopefully they are able to bring in or showcase some more real talented fighters. I'd love to see Japan get back into the MMA craze(a little better regulated this time, though).

Top Bottom