What's new

The MMA Thread

I think it is going to be interesting. In every fight, Conor has come out cool and collected, waited for his moment to pounce and then done the business. I am hoping he does not come out like Zingano did against Rousey, or it may be a very short contest.

Cormier looked really good especially after getting rocked in the first. Regardless, it's a meanlngless belt until Jones comes back.

Weidman also recovered well. I disagree with what he said, I think was definitely got rocked, but recovered and took care of business quickly. Well done.

Arlovski/Browne was crazy. Never thought in a million years Andre would win that one.

I think Rumble Johnson should consider going up to HW. He has a recent win over Andre Arlovski which puts him right in the mix of that division. And he was totally gassed out after the first round and barely held on after that.

I feel the opposite . . . if Rumble could get on a decent diet plan, he could likely STILL make 185. The loss of mass would make improving his cardio that much easier, and his power would make him a force in the Division. Imagine a similar round one like Vitor's against Weidman, but with better wrestling DEFENCE and better cardio. That would put some fear into the Champ.

Mind you, I doubt Johnson will even consider a drop in weight. But, if he wants to capture a title, it might be his best option.

I feel the opposite . . . if Rumble could get on a decent diet plan, he could likely STILL make 185. The loss of mass would make improving his cardio that much easier, and his power would make him a force in the Division. Imagine a similar round one like Vitor's against Weidman, but with better wrestling DEFENCE and better cardio. That would put some fear into the Champ.

Mind you, I doubt Johnson will even consider a drop in weight. But, if he wants to capture a title, it might be his best option.

Won't happen. Rumble got up to 260 during this training camp according to training partner and good friend Rashad Evans. And Dana won't allow it anyway. Last time he tried to make 185 he weighed in a 197. I know there is more to that story, but still that was his official weight. Guy's much bigger than other people in his class. He's just in a class that he can make now, even if he's still dehydrated.

Oh I know about his past issues, but I think those are more about discipline than anything else (but what do I know). He burns a tremendous amount of O2 trying to keep that huge upper body going, is all. He really needs to concentrate on his cardio, or he is going to render himself into a one round fighter.

Oh I know about his past issues, but I think those are more about discipline than anything else (but what do I know). He burns a tremendous amount of O2 trying to keep that huge upper body going, is all. He really needs to concentrate on his cardio, or he is going to render himself into a one round fighter.

Agree there. If he can't put someone away in the first, his threat in the fight diminishes tremendously as we saw.

Goes all the way back to David and Goliath. Muscles are great, but they have diminishing returns beyond a certain point. After that it is skill and will that wins fights.

Strongly Agree, and also to work on his defensive wrestling. Along with being active from the bottom. If he could have stuffed the takedowns in the first, no doubt in my mind that dc was gonna take a nice nap.

Yeah cardio could make him a champion in any weight class. You need to work hard, not starve hard. If he can keep his weight around 220 on an every-day basis he would be nothing but muscle at LHW, and his stamina would easily double.

Yeah cardio could make him a champion in any weight class. You need to work hard, not starve hard. If he can keep his weight around 220 on an every-day basis he would be nothing but muscle at LHW, and his stamina would easily double.

I still thinkk AJ's ground game needs a lot more work. He's got good wrestling but not the greatest. Also his sub defense is suspect.

that was a crazy fight, i expected mcmann to completely dominate and control tate on the ground.

And instead it was just....

:
proxy.php

Lots of great fights last night.

Darren Till looked great, vicious elbows.

Ryan Jimmo should get a bonus just for continuing to fight. I think that was the worst groin strike I've ever seen.

Oliveira and Lentz was a great fight.

The main was a surprise for me. I thought Thiago would be the superior striker but Condit out struck him. The broken nose was gruesome, it reminded me of Rich Franklin's nose when he fought Anderson.

Heck yeah they were!!!

condit was a man possesed yesterday, i was so pumped for his return.

Was jimmo throwing up in that bucket, damn!

Lots of great fights last night.

Darren Till looked great, vicious elbows.

Ryan Jimmo should get a bonus just for continuing to fight. I think that was the worst groin strike I've ever seen.

Oliveira and Lentz was a great fight.

The main was a surprise for me. I thought Thiago would be the superior striker but Condit out struck him. The broken nose was gruesome, it reminded me of Rich Franklin's nose when he fought Anderson.

Agreed with everything. I felt bad for Thiago as he would have continued. But it was best the Dr stopped it and prevent any permanent or long term damage. He took a bearing but kept getting back up.

That's the first time I'm ever seen anyone take the full 5 min for a groin kick but more should.

@MrLara Yup, he was puking and dry heaving. That's one nasty kick to do that to a man.

The question of the night, when are we going to see that newer female ref again. I could hardly keep my eye on the fighters. :blush:

Condit was a monster and I was very happy to see him get the win. I like Thiago but wouldn't mind him dropping some mass and going down a class. He seems a bit small (height, reach) for welterweight.

Last edited:
Alves used to be a MASSIVE welterweight. I think he has dropped all the mass is he is going to at this point. He is still going to have a decent run out to his career, but he will likely take on a gatekeeper role for the top 10, much Brown will establish himself as the man to beat to get into the top 5. It will be tough to swallow, but that is where I see his career heading . . . good, but just not good/young enough.

Welterweight is now set up for a number of interesting contests starting with the next title bout. After that, we can look forward to Condit fighting for the belt against Lawler (or the more interesting rematch against Rory). Loser of the title contest gets an "in the mix bout against either Woodley (if it's Lawler) or Hendricks (MacDonald). "Stun Gun" just came off a decent win, so maybe match him against Brown or Damien Maia to see if he is ready to step up into contention finally.

Top Bottom