What's new

The MMA Thread

I'm not sold on GSP at 185, but it looks like it's going to happen. Don't get me wrong GSP is a freak and he could do damage at that weight class for sure, I just think I'd get more excited about Silva v Shogun at 205

I'd like to see GSP/Silva and Silva/Shogun! :thumbup1:

He'll be back, but he'll likely be out for a while. I doubt we'll see him fight for another 8, 9 months. Possibly longer.

This

He'll be back, but he'll likely be out for a while. I doubt we'll see him fight for another 8, 9 months. Possibly longer.

Ouch. At 33--and having lost his real estate license--that must hurt. I would really like to have seen the rematch with Silva when there was a lot at stake for both of them.

I wonder what we're looking at with this? UFC 132? Maybe in the July timeframe?

I'd guess more like a year. GSP doesn't fight again until the very end of April. I'd say we are looking at 5 months after that minimum. Though, I wish they hadn't confirmed the fight until it was actually happening. If Shields catches and somehow submits GSP, oh Lord, I can't imagine the wrath....

Predictions for UFC 126

Main card

* UFC Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Vitor Belfort
* Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader
* Light Heavyweight bout: Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin
* Welterweight bout: Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
* Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly
* Featherweight bout: Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

Preliminary card

* Lightweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Gabe Ruediger
* Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Demetrious Johnson
* Light Heavyweight bout: Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero
* Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson

All in all, this could be a very good card. I'm very much looking forward to this fight.

* UFC Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Vitor Belfort
* Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader

Preliminary card

I'm pretty excited about this card. I'm not familiar enough with the guys on the preliminary card to make a prediction other then a wild guess, which honestly would probably be as good as my regular guesses.

I'd guess more like a year. GSP doesn't fight again until the very end of April. I'd say we are looking at 5 months after that minimum. Though, I wish they hadn't confirmed the fight until it was actually happening. If Shields catches and somehow submits GSP, oh Lord, I can't imagine the wrath....

I guess you're right. GSP is probably going to want to put on enough weight so that he can cut for the fights. Even so, I wonder if they're going to try to slot it for the end of the year? That could make for an epic New Years show.

I guess you're right. GSP is probably going to want to put on enough weight so that he can cut for the fights. Even so, I wonder if they're going to try to slot it for the end of the year? That could make for an epic New Years show.

I just really don't like when they announce stuff like this when it's premature. It's like BJ Penn's move up to welter after he beat Frankie Edgar, well he didn't beat him, either time. Dana shouldn't have said anything until after the GSP fight and this could be set up and finalized.

To Dana, no buzz is bad buzz. Even if it all blows up or it never happens, he'll have moved on to something else. The guy is a modern P. T. Barnum.

I'm pretty excited about tonight's UFC. Looks like one of the better cards in a while (I might even buy it--I'm tired of watching it with a room of either disinterested drunks or screaming college kids at my local sports bar). I watched the weigh-ins on Bas' show last night and everybody looks like they came to play. I hope that Anderson doesn't bring the crazy--I'd rather see him struggle like he did against Sonnen than put on one of his strange shows.

I was motivated to see Kid Yamamoto too, although he's not the fighter that he was in his prime. Still, I hope he and Omigawa can eke out wins. Japanese MMA looks like it's circling the drain and it would be nice if more of those guys could make the jump to the UFC.

The weather and roads are a mess in Indianapolis. I hope I can make it out to the fight tonight. I've been looking forward to this card for a long time.

Dana has confirmed that if both Silva and GSP win their next two fights, they will fight for the middleweight title.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=6074411&hcId=6074318&topId=null

Ugh, I hate this sort of thing. Don't get me wrong this is a fight I want to see and a fight I hope happens, but if both fighters win their next two fights?!? How about if they both win their coming bouts this will be next.

Predictions for UFC 126

Main card

* UFC Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Vitor Belfort (I want Vitor to win this but if it doesn't happen fast and early I think this one goes to Silva).
* Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader (This one could go either way)

Preliminary card

There are several fights on this card that could truly go either way. This should be a good one!

I was motivated to see Kid Yamamoto too, although he's not the fighter that he was in his prime. Still, I hope he and Omigawa can eke out wins. Japanese MMA looks like it's circling the drain and it would be nice if more of those guys could make the jump to the UFC.

You got that right, its luster has been lost.

Too late
http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/anderson-silva-vitor-belfort.jpg

Good to see Vitor could actually make 185, I'm ready for some Brasillian action :thumbup:

Yup, Silva's an idiot. LMAO

Please tell me that's photoshop.

Nope its real.

Last edited:
Being an old practitioner of Judo, Aikido and Karate, I really enjoyed the old MMA when you actually paired masters of various classic schools against each other. The current evolution is mostly a very fine and practical way of brawling, with a few restrictions. I went to a very tough Junior and Senior High School and saw a lot of fights. MMA today is a sophisticated form of that-spar,punch, kick-try to takedown and then ground and pound. Nothing wrong with that as a real life fighting form but honestly, it starts to get boring as a spectator sport for me. It is just that everyone else loves it!!

I just caught the Yamamoto fight on Facebook. Yet another Japanese fighter who steps into the octagon like a deer in the headlights. In Kid's case, he just hasn't looked good for the last couple of years. Maybe he'll get it together next time around but I think he's finished.

Now switching over to Spike for the rest of the preliminaries.

Thoughts so far:

Torres showing was boring.

What are your thoughts on women officiating mens fights? I guess being a cop it struck me as odd. I mean short of a simple frisk (as a last resort) we aren't allowed to touch females and vice versa. Plus you'd kind of think you'd want a man in with male fighters just in case anything got out of line.

Top Bottom