What's new

The MMA Thread

I went four for four in my picks--that could never happen if I had money on it. I only caught the last two fights because I was watching the second episode of "The Pacific." I'll have to go back and watch the ones I missed later tonight. In Dos Santos/Gonzaga and Vera/Jones had good performances but weren't good fights. Dos Santos was faster and crisper than Gonzaga--it must have been frustrating to watch someone do everything you wanted to do, only quicker and better. Vera must have felt some of the same thing. He just didn't have any answer for Jones, who very strong. It's going to be interesting to see what Jones and Dos Santos do in the next year. Meanwhile, the memory of Gonzaga's knockout of CroCop is fading and Vera is so inconsistent. Maybe we'll be seeing them at Strikeforce: Rumble in San Bernadino?

At the rate Dana lets inconsistent talent go, this could be quite possible. These two could join the ranks of mediocre UFC fighters that go on to dominate other organizations.

Having not seen any of the fights, which was the best of the night?

Kind regards,

I wouldn't call any of them "Fight of the Night" caliber. I think I read actually no one won fight of the night, but they awarded 3 KOs instead. For me the most exciting fight was Jones/Vera.

I watched the replay of the Lesnar/Mir II last night. Good lord what a vicious beating. I think the ref should have stopped it a little sooner even.

I don't often get squeamish watching these things, but that was a beat down. The thing is, Lesnar only had 20 pounds on Mir, but it seemed more like 50..

That was a savage display of power wasn't it. I figured he wanted revenge after there first match but that was a little extreme.

"Bones" Jones is amazing. I'm going to try and find the fight somewhere online.

That was a savage display of power wasn't it. I figured he wanted revenge after there first match but that was a little extreme.

Lesnar is a force to be reckoned with. Guys like Lesnar and Carwin are fighters on a whole different scale. They are evidence of why an additional weight class is needed. Say over 24 for example.

I wouldn't call any of them "Fight of the Night" caliber. I think I read actually no one won fight of the night, but they awarded 3 KOs instead. For me the most exciting fight was Jones/Vera.
Thanks for that, I hope it re airs here in Canada. Discouraging not to have seen the card.

Kind regards,

My picks were pretty accurate for this fight card. Like Nid Hog, it would never happen if I had money on it.

I thought some of the fights were down right strange.

Kongo going for the take down again and again and again. Buentello putting his hands on the mat to try and get another point deducted from Kongo was strange. The first point deduction was legit.

Gonzaga and Dos Santos. It almost didn't seem as if Gabe was really in that fight. He couldn"t do anything.

Vera and Jones. Tough break on the elbow to the cheek but it didn't seem like Vera could do anything against Jones.

Irvin got a tough break too. Getting punched in the eye has to hurt really bad.

At the rate Dana lets inconsistent talent go, this could be quite possible. These two could join the ranks of mediocre UFC fighters that go on to dominate other organizations.

You went there!

So who has plans for the UFC this weekend? BBQ at my place!!

Need me to bring anything? What time should I show up?:wink:

So who has plans for the UFC this weekend? BBQ at my place!!

My wife and I have tickets to see Wilco on Saturday night, but I'm hoping to catch the last few fights after the show. With any luck, they'll be a sports bar somewhere in the area and I can convince her to stop in for a drink. Otherwise, I'll be watching on line.

Kongo going for the take down again and again and again. Buentello putting his hands on the mat to try and get another point deducted from Kongo was strange. The first point deduction was legit.

Do you think Kongo was intimidated by the Headhunter's standup or was he overcompensating after his loss to a great wrestler in his last fight?

i used to be a vera fan but jones showed him up, don't know how bad he was hurt, (hopefully nothing bad) but he had nothing and was taken down easily by jones who has less experience? vera lost me. couldn't even beat a pensioner!

one of my new favs is Dos Santos, man he comes to fight and i saw the fear in gonzagas eyes from the start. plus Dos Santos has great power and is a little, you know, in the head which i like. he's whole attitude from stomping when he gets into the ring to walking up to the other opponent when intoduced and throwing down the challange, shows great passion when he wins too. love the headbut into the padded octagon when he won,,this guy will throw fear into his opponents like tyson did early on. just love watching him. throws punches so well,,go junior. go hard son!

Last edited:
i used to be a vera fan but jones showed him up, don't know how bad he was hurt, (hopefully nothing bad) but he had nothing and was taken down easily by jones who has less experience? vera lost me. couldn't even beat a pensioner!

one of my new favs is Dos Santos, man he comes to fight and i saw the fear in gonzagas eyes from the start. plus Dos Santos has great power and is a little, you know, in the head which i like. he's whole attitude from stomping when he gets into the ring to walking up to the other opponent when intoduced and throwing down the challange, shows great passion when he wins too. love the headbut into the padded octagon when he won,,this guy will throw fear into his opponents like tyson did early on. just love watching him. throws punches so well,,go junior. go hard son!

John 'Bones' Jones would be undefeated if it weren't for a DQ for an illegal elbow (using the point of the elbow/stabbing downward on a downed opponent). He's a machine and has come on crazy strong. All of his fights have been exciting. I agree with you about Dos Santos as well.

John 'Bones' Jones would be undefeated if it weren't for a DQ for an illegal elbow (using the point of the elbow/stabbing downward on a downed opponent). He's a machine and has come on crazy strong. All of his fights have been exciting. I agree with you about Dos Santos as well.

so u can use the elbow in a side movement but not up n down?

vera looked a bit drawn out n thin, i reckon he overtrained. didn't look confident, looked a little scared.

jones is good, but vera offered nothing. can jones beat beat the top guys? maybe so but they will offer more than vera. i was so dissapointed in his performance.

did i say i like microsoft dos santos?

I read somewhere that Vera has three fractures--sounds pretty bad. Still, if it wasn't the elbow it was going to be something else. He didn't have anything for Jones.

I think you're right about Gonzaga. From the start, Dos Santos came out quicker and stronger--Gonzaga could see that he was a half a beat slower on everything. I think that this really puts Gonzaga's position in the UFC in question. Certainly not the promise that he showed against CroCop, which looks a bit different now since we've seen both of them perform as they have since that fight.

Looks like Ben Saunders is going to replace Thiago Alves against Jon Fitch on Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...14?slug=ki-alvesout032510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I don't expect Hardy to put on much of a show against St. Pierre. He's been training with Matt Serra, and I seem to remember that he worked with Eddie Bravo in the past too. Hope it helps--it's going to be hard to go to Mission Control after GSP hits him like a rocket. St. Pierre has been quiet for a while, and I'm sure he'll want to make a strong showing on Saturday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom