What's new

The MMA Thread

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
GSP announced he's ready to return to the UFC ... no deal done with UFC for a specific return/fight (no doubt the word "Reebok" is coming up a lot and bogging down the negotiations.)

GSP wants to fight Bisping. I think both guys are having the same thought, though. I think both see each other as a big draw and an easy fight. GSP thinks he can beat a less skilled Bisping and get the title while making a boatload of cash, Bisping thinks he can beat a fresh off the shelf GSP, add a truly Marquee name to his list and make a ton of cash. I can see each guys perspective. If you totally remove any fighter that has earned a shot at the title by putting in the work and winning the fights, then it's feasible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How do guys feel about GSP getting a title shot right off the bat? On the one hand, he stepped down as the reigning champ, so when he comes back he can say "I want my title back ... the guy who has it is interim champ and I'll fight him". On the other hand, it's been what, three years or so, so does he need to climb back up to the ladder a bit, fight by fight.

And does he only want one fight, or does he want a warm-up fight and then a main event ... and more after that?

I think he only comes back to a title fight and only against someone who he is 110% confident he can beat.

To me it makes sense for him to fight Bisping for the title right off the bat. The overall wins is on the line, the title, Bisping took a shot at him in an interview, they both stand up against PEDs, and let's face it....he isn't going to keep the title long. It is in his best interest to take the fight. If Bisping looses, he can leave having held the title and with an impressive resume. If he wins, he can say he has beaten two of the all times best fighters and could make an argument to be considered one of the greatest, even if it wasn't true. I see it happening.

I have no issues with it in this case. Now if Matt Huges comes out and demands a title shot, I'm against it.

GSP Is the G.O.A.T welterweight, i have no problem with his title shot. Because if Brock beats Hunt, he's also gonna get one.

I think GSP has earned his right to a title shot right off the bat. He retired as champion of his weight class. He kept it classy, too. I think it's a really tough fight, especially coming off of a long stint on the back burner, but it's a big fight, and if he pulls off a Dominic Cruz and shows up after years like he was fired out of a cannon it would be great. It's a winnable fight for both guys.

I very much want GSP to stay retired.
Went out on top, class act, clean, and rich. I don't see much good for him getting back in a cage.

Also want him to stay retired, but if he found that fire within himself. He may comeback stronger.
Agreed. My thoughts above are if he decides to come back and who he should fight. I don't want to see him back in the ring, he has nothing left to accomplish.

I prefer guys to stay retired. Be it athletes or bands or whatever. Once your done and declare it, sail off into the sunset. I guess in GSP case he took a leave and never hung up the gloves.

Sad news.

RYAN JIMMO DEAD AT 34; UFC VET REPORTEDLY KILLED BY HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER

By: Sherdog.com Staff
Jun 26, 2016

Canadian MMA veteran Ryan Jimmo died Sunday morning after being struck by a vehicle in Edmonton, Alberta.

Multiple sources today confirmed news of Jimmo’s death following a report from CBC.ca. Jimmo, a seven-time UFC veteran who competed in the light heavyweight division, was 34 years old.

According to police, Jimmo was involved in an early morning incident in the parking lot of Edmonton’s H2O Lounge. Jimmo was reportedly walking away from the altercation when the men he was speaking to -- two Caucasian males in a dark-colored pickup truck -- accelerated and struck him. Police are currently searching for the suspects, who nearly hit another car as they fled the scene of the crime.

Jimmo was transported to a local hospital, where he died of his injuries. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday, according to the CBC report.

A powerful striker who learned karate from his black belt father, Jimmo rose to prominence in Canada’s Maximum Fighting Championship promotion. After winning and twice defending the MFC light heavyweight title, “The Big Deal” was called up to the big show, where he made a big impression in his July 2012 UFC debut by knocking out Anthony Perosh in just seven seconds.

Jimmo would ultimately compile a UFC record of 3-4; he had not competed since being released by the organization in mid-2015. At the time of his death, Jimmo’s MMA record stood at 19-5, with eight wins by way of knockout and two via submission.

A buddy of mine pointed out an upcoming fight that I had not seen, Condit vs. Maia. I'm a huge submission fan, and Maia is among the best BJJ practitioners to ever live. This would usually make me vote for him, but Condit is really great overall so I cannot discount him. I think he could avoid the takedown and beat up Maia on the feet. He's also slick enough on the ground to stifle submissions long enough to get back to the feet. Just can't call it either way. That's one fight I'm really looking forward to.

A buddy of mine pointed out an upcoming fight that I had not seen, Condit vs. Maia. I'm a huge submission fan, and Maia is among the best BJJ practitioners to ever live. This would usually make me vote for him, but Condit is really great overall so I cannot discount him. I think he could avoid the takedown and beat up Maia on the feet. He's also slick enough on the ground to stifle submissions long enough to get back to the feet. Just can't call it either way. That's one fight I'm really looking forward to.

Agree with almost everything. But i still think that Maia is on another level on the ground. like you said, It really would be best for Condit to keep standing at all costs.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, this week: UFC on thurs, fri. Culminating with the grand finale on sat with UFC 200.

Thurs- UFC: Dos Anjos vs Alvarez- From what i've seen in Alvarez, he hasn't looked like the beast he did back in Bellator. While Dos Anjos seems to improve dramatically in every fight. I'll take Dos Anjos here. If he wins, this will probably set up the original fight between conor and dos anjos (another pointless but moneymaking fight).

Big Country vs Derrick Lewis- Big Country has slowed down significantly. Even though he has faced some killers in his previous 4 fights (not counting jared rosholt). Lewis is coming from a big win off Gonzaga, so this may be a good war. But i'm thinking Big country will score a KO here.

i only recognize a few other names on the card, like Mike Pyle and Joseph Duffy and John Madkessi.

Friday- TUF Finale

Joanna Champion (can't spell or pronounce her last name) Vs Claudia Gadelha- I thought the first bout could have gone either way, JJ did drop Claudia a few times, but who knows. I was somewhat swayed by the editing into rooting for claudia, since JJ has acted a bit bitchy this season. And also that claudia is easy on the eyes (shouldn't matter but still). However, JJ has proven to be a very tough champ, and has made the women she's faced since becoming champion look bad. Final choice, i'm gonna go with JJ. but won't be upset if Claudia beats her.

Don't really care about the TUF challengers.

gray maynard vs fernando bruno (never heard of him). I know he's slowed down a lot, but i'm hoping for a maynard win here (he's on a 4 fight loss streak)

John moraga vs matheus nicolau (never heard of him either). Moraga by Sub.

Ross pearson vs Will brooks. Pearson has been on a win loss rollercoaster, while his opponent is riding on a 8 fight win streak. including two wins against michael chandler (very tough guy). I guess we'll find out if Brooks can hang with a UFC gatekeeper. I'll take brooks here.

Saturday- UFC 200

Seriously, a very very solid card here. The UFC seemed to work extra hard to make this card great.

Jones vs Cormier- The real champ is back, Jones might have looked tentative against OSP but that was the first time that jones has taken a short notice opponent since stepping in for rashad against shogun. Even though Jones was stripped of the title, i still counted that win against OSP towards his defenses. And if he beats cormier again, the number will be 10 title defenses. He will undoubtedly be the G.O.A.T at LHW. I have never liked cormier and even though jones was an idiot with his life choices, this is the fight game. And we're not looking for nice here. These guys are out to hurt each other. I am rooting for jones, there's no secret about that.

Lesnar vs Hunt- A quick moneymaking fight made by the UFC, we all know brock can take a few punches before folding like a cheap suit. And i can only assume that they picked hunt for his lack of takedown defense. Still puzzling as to why the UFC chose him, as hunt can make brock sleep with one punch. I'm guessing brock will be looking for a takedown within the first 10 seconds. I have nothing against brock, but it does annoy me that guys have to go through TUF to try and get into the UFC, while brock can leave, go wrestle and comeback whenever he wants.. I hope Hunt scores another walkaway KO here. I mean it really pushes the sport backwards if a guy who leaves because of a sickness comes back after 5 years and beats a decent opponent.

Tate vs Nunes- I've seen nunes fight once when she subbed mcmann in the first. A bit impressive i might add. I think this fight will be competitive, but i hope miesha gets the win.

Aldo edgar- Frankie, the guy who keeps getting denied title shots. i think this fight should be for the real belt instead of the interim belt. Conor may never comeback down to FW. Very difficult fight to choose here. Aldo may still be mentally recovering from his last KO, while frankie has been putting on stellar performances (5 fight win streak). The first fight was a bit close. And honestly i have no clue who to choose here, because i really like both fighters. I would like to see Aldo get his rematch against conor and kick his ***. But frankie is long overdue for his title shot.

Cain vs Browne- I'll start off by saying i don't like travis, and i hope cain wins. But if the cain that showed up against werdum shows up, travis will KO him.

Cat Zingano vs juliana pena- no clue here, both haven't fought in a very long time.

hendricks vs gastelum- hendricks just came out and said he had a bad weight cut against wonderboy, this guy has nothing but excuses and i hope kevin beats him into irrelevancy. It will be a tough fight for Gastelum though.

TJ dillashaw vs assuncao- TJ's chance to avenge a loss here. And i think he will do it. Assuncao may be good, but he hasn't fought in almost two years.

Sage northcutt vs enrique marin- never heard of Marin, and i'm guessing this is why he was chosen for Sage here. I like sage, he seems like a nice honest kid. hoping for a flashy win here.

Diego sanchez vs Joe Lauzon- our 4th of july fight right here, nothing but fireworks. At least i hope. The fans win with this fight.

Mousasi vs thiago santos- mousasi is a bit overrated in my opinion and a bit of a whiner. After seeing Santos KO marquardt, i hope he can get another one.

jim miller vs Gomi- Another fireworks fight, miller is such a fan favorite and gomi is one of the last guys still around from Pride. Can't choose here, i'll be happy with whoever wins

Pretty much in agreement across the board there.

I was also kind of shocked by how unpleasant JJ was on the show. Of course, she's the same way in the lead up to her past couple of fights, but I didn't think she was rocking that 24hrs a day, hahaha.

UFC 200 is really stacked. There's no fight on it without a person I am interested in.

This is a great chance for Edgar. He's such a company man, and has not been really rewarded for his work. If the KO by Connor wasn't just a bad judgement call on Aldo's to run in like that, it could work out that Edgar gets the win. Aldo fairly handled him in the first fight, though. I'm wishing Frankie the best.

Cain vs. Browne is interesting in that Travis has shown that a double leg attempt on him is generally a bad idea. I wonder how Cain will get around those horrific elbows. I think Cain is a much better all-around fighter, I hope he is in good shape and makes short work of Browne.

Diego vs. Lauzon...man. That's a guaranteed thriller. I'm pulling for Joe here, though. Just love that guy. Like Diego too, but not as much.

I always want Miller to win. Gomi, I don't feel, was ever as good as he was made out to be. I don't dislike him, but I'm pulling for Miller. You ever see that Guillotine choke his brother Dan put on Dave Phillips in the IFL? I thought he had broken Phillips' neck. I thought I had possibly just seen the first quadriplegic made in MMA. No joke.

Yep, that was one of maybe two or three times in all my years of watching fighting of any kind where I was genuinely alarmed for one of the fighters. When Nate Diaz slapped that choke on Jim with Jim's tongue caught between his teeth that was alarming, in a gross way, though, hahaha.

Top Bottom