What's new

The MMA Thread

I think the Gym vs Gym is going to be good for the fights but it won't have the drama and shenanigans that past seasons will have.

I don't know if it is current fighters or up and comers. They were showing guys like Rahsad but not sure if he was just being interviewed, on staff with Blackzillions or part of the show.

The "seasons" may be referring to how TUF was last year. The fighters were ranked and they had a seeded tournament. Unlike past seasons where the coaches picked the fights and they were announced from week to week.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Oh my lord.

I did see that. She is nuts.

It's a serious blow to someone's ego. They've trained for years, they've been told by everyone around them that they're the best. But they will lose 90 percent of the time to anyone with decent grappling.

Granted Rousey is a judoka but Saulo Ribeiro said it best...

Jiu-jitsu is the gentle art. It’s the art where a small man(woman) is going to prove to you, no matter how strong you are, no matter how mad you get, that you’re going to have to accept defeat. Thats what Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is

@mrlara knows what I'm talking about :001_smile

It's a serious blow to someone's ego. They've trained for years, they've been told by everyone around them that they're the best. But they will lose 90 percent of the time to anyone with decent grappling.

Granted Rousey is a judoka but Saulo Ribeiro said it best...

@mrlara knows what I'm talking about :001_smile

I think everyone who posts in this thread knows what your talking about. If the boxer can't stop the take down the fight is over.

I say book the fight, Ali vs Rousey, open weight. It would sell tickets. It's not like there's even the remotest challenge for her in the UFC. The only competitive match she can have is Cyborg and I still think she'd hip toss her and arm bar her too. Kickboxing or Muay Thai match, Cyborg would beat her easily but with her BJJ, I don't think her ground skills are even in the realm of Rousey's. Still it's very disingenuous of the UFC not to just book the match while people actually want to see it.

I'd rather see Ali vs. Rousey than any other current UFC contender. I don't think it would last a round though. Ali has no ground skills, the only way she would win is a lucky punch IMO.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'd rather watch a modern day fight between Tank and Royce than just about any pure boxer against a competent MMA practitioner.

I would think it would depend on what rules that the match is fought under. If it's a boxing match, Ali gets it. MMA, Ronda. The two disciplines are quite different. I would say that Ronda would have a better chance at defeating Ali in a boxing match than Ali would in defeating Ronda in MMA. Many MMA fighters do train in boxing technique to some level for improving their striking, but I've never heard of a boxer training in MMA to improve in boxing.

A 75 year old Chuck Norris? Rousey might just be quick enough to surprise him one good time :)

Hehehe, you never know. Ronda's signature move is the armbar of course, but the real threat from Chuck is in his leg...as in, the legendary roundhouse kick.

MrLara said:
Chuck norris is a legit BJJ black belt under carlos machado.

I remember that he's a well accomplished martial artist. He'd said at one time that he and Bruce Lee in their prime would've done well in MMA. I believe Bruce made it in to the newest UFC game. They probably didn't put Chuck in so that the game would be somewhat winnable for others.

What a beating esparza and pettis took. I thought carla would dominate with her wrestling. I also wanted dos anjos to win, but i didnt think he would beat the brakes off pettis like that. What a performance that was.

Hedricks/brown lacked action, when he hurt brown he took him down instead of going for the finish. I sure hope hendricks doesnt get the title shot next.

Hendricks should probably have to win one more to get back in contention. His performances over the last few fights have become more safety oriented . . . control the opponent, score points, get the take-down, maintain posture, etc.

Even GSP would continue to advance rather than just LnP on guys.

I have no interest in seeing him fight for the belt any time soon. I forget who Condit gets in his return bout, but I would love to see Carlos and Johny matched up.

I thought Pettis did not do that badly, he was just in there against a fighter who was obviously better than him in ALL facets of the fight. RdA was quicker, crisper with his strikes (which is pretty amazing considering Pettis' abilities), and defended the few offensive efforts Pettis managed quite easily.

Esparza looked like anything BUT a champion during her walkout . . . deer in the headlights comes to mind. After Jedr_____ managed to time her takedowns and begin stuffing them, she looked totally lost. She has been heavily reliant on her wrestling to secure her control and position to the point that it was obvious last night she has never bothered to train for the "what if" notion of someone being able to neutralize that aspect of her game. She had NOTHING else to offer, and it was kind of pathetic to watch her have to circle the cage, attempting one futile takedown attempt after another, all the while getting battered incessantly.

Pettis needs to regroup and move forward, Esparza needs a complete overhaul, likely in a new camp that will train her in the areas she is lacking, rather than just pump her tires about her wrestling.

Top Bottom