What's new

The MMA Thread

Has anyone seen or read about the Podcast discussion between Joe Rogan, Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen?

Rogan in a nutshell said that Brendan Schaub doesn't have what it takes to complete with the elite heavyweights of the world and how long should he stay in the UFC and risk brain damage. It's a tough talk but from the tone, I really believe that Schaub and Rogan are good friends and Joe is worried about his friends long term health.

Some NSFW language, FYI.

It brings up a lot of interesting things that fighters always have to think about, how many concussions can you take? How much punishment for money is worth it? What will you be like in 15-20 years?

Thanks for posting the video Tim, it was excellent. I think that Joe and Brendan must be good friends. Joe brought up a lot of scary points. I don't think I have ever seen one of Joe's podcasts. Are they all similar quality to this one?

I think Namajunas is going to make Esparza "tap" tonight. Also think that Markos is going to beat Penne, Herrig is getting smoked, and Rawlings, much as I hate to say it, likely loses to Clark.

Diaz is going to mess up dos Anjos, as well.

Thanks for posting the video Tim, it was excellent. I think that Joe and Brendan must be good friends. Joe brought up a lot of scary points. I don't think I have ever seen one of Joe's podcasts. Are they all similar quality to this one?

I think that video is actually Schaub and Bryan Callen's podcast, The Fighter and the Kid. But Rogan's are good too. He's a sharp dude with a ton of knowledge on a variety of subjects, naturally I'm partial to his MMA discussions.

I will tune into more of that podcast as I was very impressed by that video, I watched the whole thing and was entertained the whole time. That particular topic was very informative to me. It was tough to listen to as you could Schaub was getting quite upset, (I read in another interview that Brendan stated he went home and cried for 30 minutes after it's taping). But I think Rogan was coming from a postion of friendship. I think he sees many MMA related, but non-fighting lifelong opportunities for his friend and doesn't want to see his brain scrambled so he misses out on a more fulfilling life in the long term. It's a tough topic that all contact sports athletes need to think about. I've been concussed a few times playing football and in a car wreck, when I go to the MMA gym, I only spar with shots below the neck, I won't take any shots to the head (nor do I throw them). Not that I actually fight or anything, it's just a fun workout, but I've had my fair share of head trauma for a non-elite athlete and I'm not going to risk any more.

On a cross-related topic, tonight's title challenger Rose Namajunas is engaged to former UFC heavyweight Pat Barry. He's one of my favorite fighters but has sustained a lot of bad KO's. He's one of those guys every time I read he has another fight (MMA or K1) I get very sad, I wish he's step down before his brain gets destroyed.

Last edited:
Askren doesn't really help his cause much though. I agree, I'd like to see him in the UFC, but he does tend to sabotage his chances of signing.

For instance, Dana would most likely have seen this interview. This sort of oddness just dissuades Dana from wanting to work with Ben.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/6...enny-rice-have-bizarre-exchange-on-inside-mma

I'm not saying that there is no validity to Askren's points or that Kenny was being a decent interviewer, but it sure looks like Ben is more intent on burning the bridge to the UFC than he is on crossing it.

Completely agreed, Ben doesn't help his case of fighting in the UFC. It seems he is trying to be the next Chael Sonnen (loud mouthed grinder) but lacks Chael's charm.

Apparently Urijah Faber's eye poke last week on Rivera, which was not noticed, has Rivera needing retina surgery.

Scary stuff.

Man, i finally get to sit down and drink a few beers that i bought 3 weeks ago! I cant wait to see jones/cormier and Silva/diaz!!!

Diaz is getting a beat down, still chattering and then things to himself "I should slap the guy who has me mounted". He got destroyed and happy to see it.

Those kicks were nasty.

Last edited:
Probably the most intersting thing i've read in a while (regarding MMA):

For months, Bloody Elbow reporters John Nash and Brent Brookhouse have been investigating rumors of a class action lawsuit against the UFC by former and current fighters. Bloody Elbow can now confirm through multiple sources that such a lawsuit is not only in the works but that a filing is imminent.

While we have been told the names of several potential signatories we have as yet been unable to confirm that those names will appear on the complaint. As was told to Bloody Elbow, the recent announcement of the Reebok sponsorship deal with the UFC appears to have reached into the suit, resulting in some strategic changes.

We have been able to confirm that the suit will be based on accusations that the UFC has violated antitrust laws by abusing their "market power" to intentionally and systematically cripple the free market. Several of the individuals we spoke to compared it to the recent San Jose hi-tech employee and NCAA antitrust cases. The manager of one high profile fighter who wished to remain anonymous has informed Bloody Elbow that the plaintiffs will be seeking damages for potentially hundreds of millions of dollars due to reduced fight purses, video game rights fees, and other sources of income. The final amount could even be greater, with statutes awarding "treble damages" in antitrust cases.

Another manager referred to the pending suit as "a game changer."

According to our sources the fighters are represented by three or four large firms renowned for antitrust litigation. The firms named to us have won major class action antitrust cases against bigger targets than the UFC, including against those in the banking, credit, technology and pharmaceutical industries.
As one well known former fighter told us "These are major players. These are not people [the UFC] will be able to out-spend."
While we can not release names of the potential signatories at this time, the names that have been reported to us are notable fighters and personalities in the sport.

Bloody Elbow has reached out to the UFC for their comments on the pending suit and we will provide updates as they become available.
Keep your browser locked on Bloody Elbow in the coming days and weeks as we will have much more about the lawsuit, which has very legitimate potential to completely alter the way UFC business operates.

Looks like things are about to take a drastic change.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Never thought I would find myself saying this, but the women's fights have been more exciting. It seemed almost preordained that Rose Namajunas would win the straw weight title and become the new face of the franchise, so it's nice to know that despite whatever troubles UFC may be experiencing, it's certainly not "fixed". Having a champ that is cute, skillful, hot, and insane would have done wonders for the brand. It would have been hard to root against her if not for Pat Barry. :lol:

I thought that fight was a throwback to the original intent of UFC, i.e., the which-style-wins concept.

Never thought I would find myself saying this, but the women's fights have been more exciting. It seemed almost preordained that Rose Namajunas would win the straw weight title and become the new face of the franchise, so it's nice to know that despite whatever troubles UFC may be experiencing, it's certainly not "fixed". Having a champ that is cute, skillful, hot, and insane would have done wonders for the brand. It would have been hard to root against her if not for Pat Barry. :lol:

I thought that fight was a throwback to the original intent of UFC, i.e., the which-style-wins concept.

It was a good fight. I don't know how the odds makers had Rose the favorite. Sure she's tall, lanky and only 22y old but she has very limited experience compared to Esparza and the quick take of her back and choke showed it as she did little to defend it and gave in quickly.

Probably the most intersting thing i've read in a while (regarding MMA):

For months, Bloody Elbow reporters John Nash and Brent Brookhouse have been investigating rumors of a class action lawsuit against the UFC by former and current fighters. Bloody Elbow can now confirm through multiple sources that such a lawsuit is not only in the works but that a filing is imminent.

While we have been told the names of several potential signatories we have as yet been unable to confirm that those names will appear on the complaint. As was told to Bloody Elbow, the recent announcement of the Reebok sponsorship deal with the UFC appears to have reached into the suit, resulting in some strategic changes.

We have been able to confirm that the suit will be based on accusations that the UFC has violated antitrust laws by abusing their "market power" to intentionally and systematically cripple the free market. Several of the individuals we spoke to compared it to the recent San Jose hi-tech employee and NCAA antitrust cases. The manager of one high profile fighter who wished to remain anonymous has informed Bloody Elbow that the plaintiffs will be seeking damages for potentially hundreds of millions of dollars due to reduced fight purses, video game rights fees, and other sources of income. The final amount could even be greater, with statutes awarding "treble damages" in antitrust cases.

Another manager referred to the pending suit as "a game changer."

According to our sources the fighters are represented by three or four large firms renowned for antitrust litigation. The firms named to us have won major class action antitrust cases against bigger targets than the UFC, including against those in the banking, credit, technology and pharmaceutical industries.
As one well known former fighter told us "These are major players. These are not people [the UFC] will be able to out-spend."
While we can not release names of the potential signatories at this time, the names that have been reported to us are notable fighters and personalities in the sport.

Bloody Elbow has reached out to the UFC for their comments on the pending suit and we will provide updates as they become available.
Keep your browser locked on Bloody Elbow in the coming days and weeks as we will have much more about the lawsuit, which has very legitimate potential to completely alter the way UFC business operates.

Looks like things are about to take a drastic change.

Corruption in the UFC...no way :001_rolle

Top Bottom