What's new

The MMA Thread

+1. Though I am afraid that this could be a replay of Rory/Jake. :(

seems like it might be headed that way. The huge difference, is that Woodley has much better wrestling than burger. He might be able to do what Lawler did, and we've seen the power that woodley has. I think rory will be in for a rough night.

seems like it might be headed that way. The huge difference, is that Woodley has much better wrestling than burger. He might be able to do what Lawler did, and we've seen the power that woodley has. I think rory will be in for a rough night.

I thought the same thing about Woodley's wrestling. I don't anything about Rory's folk wrestling pedigree, but his mma wrestling is pretty damn impressive. He may get the best of Woodley that way. I remember GSP vs Koscheck I. No one thought Georges could take down Koscheck annd he did it at will.

I can imagine Woodley having a great first round performance and then losing steam giving up the UD to Rory.

Can't put my finger on it but just not a Rory fan. It may be the way the commentators always tout him as the first guy to train "mma" or just his choice of fashion :tongue_sm. My heart is cheering for Woodley but my brain is saying Rory.

I can imagine Woodley having a great first round performance and then losing steam giving up the UD to Rory.

Can't put my finger on it but just not a Rory fan. It may be the way the commentators always tout him as the first guy to train "mma" or just his choice of fashion :tongue_sm. My heart is cheering for Woodley but my brain is saying Rory.

I quit being a Rory fan after his bout with BJ Penn, it's not that he wasn't impressive, he was, but the Ali style shuffling drove me nuts. I did love watching him throwing Nate Diaz around like a rag doll.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
re: Rory ..... humility, or lack thereof, places him in the same boat as the Diaz bro's for me. Talented fighters but carry an "air" that I just don't cotton to.

re: Rory ..... humility, or lack thereof, places him in the same boat as the Diaz bro's for me. Talented fighters but carry an "air" that I just don't cotton to.

Well said. I really wanted to like him...young Canadian kid, well spoken, clean cut, but as you said...he just comes across so aarogant and like he deserves all the hype and the announcers are so over the top with their promotion of him.

I'd like to see a few fight loosing streak to cut him down a notch.

Can't put my finger on it but just not a Rory fan. It may be the way the commentators always tout him as the first guy to train "mma" or just his choice of fashion :tongue_sm.

I quit being a Rory fan after his bout with BJ Penn, it's not that he wasn't impressive, he was, but the Ali style shuffling drove me nuts. I did love watching him throwing Nate Diaz around like a rag doll.

Well said. I really wanted to like him...young Canadian kid, well spoken, clean cut, but as you said...he just comes across so aarogant and like he deserves all the hype and the announcers are so over the top with their promotion of him.

Agree 100% with all of that.

He's a young guy, I think all the hype went to his head.

He's a young guy, I think all the hype went to his head.

True, remember Roger Huerta? They hyped him up too, winning street, young, Hispanic, had it going for him.

I know it's not identical but look at the potential that kid had. He started facing tougher competition and then acting.

Last edited:
did you guys watch huerta's last fight? the way he lost was just TERRIBLE.

check this out:

proxy.php

True, remember Roger Huerta? They hyped him up too, winning street, young, Hispanic, had it going for him.

I know it's not identical but look at the potential that kid had. He started facing tougher competition and then acting.

Excellent point. He was on the cover of sports illustrated I believe. I even read an article on a comedy website about bullies getting justice and they talked about that Texas football player that hit the woman and got knocked out by Huetra on the street and even in that article they erroneously named Huerta as a former lightweight UFC champ.

did you guys watch huerta's last fight? the way he lost was just TERRIBLE.

check this out:

proxy.php

That's why I'm against Pride rules in the UFC. Soccer kicks are too brutal in my opinion for a sanctioned sport. Even when landed like that they are awful, can you imagine if someone missed and hit the windpipe, a fighter could die.

Just finished watching the prelims....

Wowsers, that Castillo KO came out of nowhere and glad he didn't follow up on the ground.

I had to FF that women's prelim, it was just nothing of interest in terms of standings or for viewing.

Elliot Benavidez was an awesome fight. Back and forth and then a wicked choke. Elliot looked frantic and panicky when he tapped but rightfully so as he must have felt suffocated.

Holy Flying knee...yikes. That was a beauty from Chris Beal in his UFC debut.

Overall it's off to a good start.

Thanks for the GIF George. That was absolutely brutal.

Soccer kicks are just something I could never get down with. Way too dangerous!

You're welcome? felt so bad for huerta though.

I just want to say that, that as fans.. we have been robbed of not seeing rumble at 205 a long time ago. The guy looked incredible at 205, what seemed to be zero cardio issues. Crisp striking and just amazing takedown defense. He can only go up from here, what a performance from rumble. Yeah sure, he has missed weight too many times, but dana should have let him have a go at 205.

But like rumble said it himself, it was a good thing. Because he matured. Good to see him on the right track. Not even rashad made phil davis look this bad.

what a great card. Good to see PRIDE alumn Gomi win again.

You're welcome? felt so bad for huerta though.

I just want to say that, that as fans.. we have been robbed of not seeing rumble at 205 a long time ago. The guy looked incredible at 205, what seemed to be zero cardio issues. Crisp striking and just amazing takedown defense. He can only go up from here, what a performance from rumble. Yeah sure, he has missed weight too many times, but dana should have let him have a go at 205.

But like rumble said it himself, it was a good thing. Because he matured. Good to see him on the right track. Not even rashad made phil davis look this bad.

what a great card. Good to see PRIDE alumn Gomi win again.

+1. Anthony learned from his mistakes. Experience is the world's greatest teacher. Hope he continues to mature inside and outside the cage.

Great card. Awesome finishes and good battles. My only biatch would be the wmma bout. Don't get me wrong, there are a good many talented wmma fighters and many have been purchased by Zuffa but they have been relegated to TUF. The last two card fights have done more harm than good for the growth of wmma.

Top Bottom