What's new

The MMA Thread

Kennedy stumps me. When his head is in the fight he throws kicks and punch combos. He is on his toes and ready. When he isn't he slogs flatfootedly around the cage throwing single punches.

I don't think Kennedy looked great but Bisping looked slow and unsure. Ring rust or age?

For Bisping it could have been his eye as well. That was a horrible injury. He's always struggled with elite wrestlers, he didn't do any of it until he was in his 20s.

For Bisping it could have been his eye as well. That was a horrible injury. He's always struggled with elite wrestlers, he didn't do any of it until he was in his 20s.

I am not a Bisping fan but I have to admit that his defense wrestling has been decent, especially without the background. Kennedy smothered him on the ground. A few mounts, some side control, a weak RNC attempt but mostly just dominant control. I don't recall anyone keeping Bisping on his back for extended time. Kennedy can surprise folks on the ground with his control. Tim is strong with good positioning. I would not call it LnP but he is not aggressive on the ground. Bisping was not ready for that kind of match.

Even on his feet, Bisping didn't look the part. Earlier in his career he caught flack because he didn't sit on his power strikes. Took him a few years but he was able to get that sorted but last night he appeared to have regressed with his hands. Like I posted above, I don't know if ring rust is the cause or if Father Time is setting up The Count for an overhand right.

I think you're right about Ring Rust and Father Time. I expect Bisping to transition into a commentary/UFC front office job. He's good in front of a camera and I expect him to maintain a presence to help the UFC grow in Europe.

Gotta agree with timmy, had to have been his eye injury. Bisping always looks great against guys who aren't champions or legends. This was a fight he should have won handily. Hope he can bounce back from this.

I'd like to see Bisping vs Rockhold. I don't know if Luke will take the bout with the Count coming off a loss, but I think it would be an exciting fight and see if Bisping's striking can get back on track against an opponent that won't just try to take him down non-stop.

WOOHOO...free Card again tonight.

My wife is working, kids will be watching their own show, so I'll get to watch this one.

PVR is set just in case, but hopefully I won't need it...unless it's to pause and get a snack.

Much better card tonight. Happy for Donald but he wasn't doing to well until he caught him.

Werdoomed was on fire and looked really good. Browne on the other hand, looked like he has never been in a fight past the first round, which is pretty close to true.

Overall an enjoyable card and I still have the undercard to watch tomorrow.

Much better card tonight. Happy for Donald but he wasn't doing to well until he caught him.

Werdoomed was on fire and looked really good. Browne on the other hand, looked like he has never been in a fight past the first round, which is pretty close to true.

Overall an enjoyable card and I still have the undercard to watch tomorrow.

agree on all counts. I thought tate lost the fight though. Still wondering how she got the unanimous.

agree on all counts. I thought tate lost the fight though. Still wondering how she got the unanimous.

Yeah, that was a weird one. I'd have to watch again, but I don't recall her clearly winning R1 and R2 was close..I know Joe kept saying she won, so much so that it makes you wonder if the judges and UFC wanted Tate to win.

Clearly she'd be the next choice between the two for a poster child for women's MMA. She's attractive, energetic, well spoken, presents herself well and has a killer body.

But we all know there is no corruption amongst the judges. :bored:

The preview for next weeks TUF (which may be good with Edar and BJ) shows them all freaking out over the judges call and what appears to be a low blow, violation, not deducted or something weird.

Looked like Browne was a victim of his own press clippings. Werdum put an old school whooping on him last night. Hype trained derailed.

The co-main event was lame and I am a fan of WMMA. It did not look like Carmouche had any game plan at all and Tate seep-walked through the first two rounds. It probably should not have been the co-main event when Cerrone/Barbosa was also on the bill.

Werdum did look very good. Browne looked awful. it was like he just didn't show up.

This weekend we have Jones vs Texiera. I think Jones will steamroll Glover.

Any other thoughts on the upcoming card?

Werdum did look very good. Browne looked awful. it was like he just didn't show up.

This weekend we have Jones vs Texiera. I think Jones will steamroll Glover.

Any other thoughts on the upcoming card?

I think that is what's going to happen as well.

Have you seen the xrays of Browne's hand? The broken ribs explain the conditioning problems. Werdum

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...ribs-and-nose-during-fight-with-werdum-042114

Davis vs Johnson

It's Johnson's first fight back in the UFC and it's at LHW instead of WW. I think Davis takes it.

I hope Tim Boetsch wins, I like the Barbarian.

Most of the other fights I don't have an opinion on who will win.

Yeah, that was a weird one. I'd have to watch again, but I don't recall her clearly winning R1 and R2 was close..I know Joe kept saying she won, so much so that it makes you wonder if the judges and UFC wanted Tate to win.

I scored rounds 1 & 2 for Carmouche, Tate without a doubt won round 3, but I figured her only chance would have been to get a 10-8 round that one and get a draw.

I scored rounds 1 & 2 for Carmouche, Tate without a doubt won round 3, but I figured her only chance would have been to get a 10-8 round that one and get a draw.

I was thinking similar but don't think it was a 10-8 R3. Either way, it was some bad scoring as usual. I'm interested to see what Dana was freaking out about on the TUF scoring in this weeks right.

The undercard was quite entertaining as well after watching it the other night. Some good fights that could have been on the main card if it was a PPV.

I'll have to look at the card this week to make some predictions. My gut says Jones will win easily and pick at him and kick him from the outside. Glover seems like a legitimate dark horse contender and maybe it's all the media hyping it up saying he's a real threat, but it's got me wondering...if Jones doesn't take him serious, we could actually see an upset, but I doubt it. Jones got caught by Vitor and it could happen again.

Last edited:
I was thinking similar but don't think it was a 10-8 R3. Either way, it was some bad scoring as usual. I'm interested to see what Dana was freaking out about on the TUF scoring in this weeks right.

For the record I didn't score Round 3 10-8 either, I was just thinking that was her only chance not to lose. But without a doubt, I scored Round 3 in favor of Tate.

Glover is a tough match-up for Jones. His height and reach put him in the same ballpark as Jones. He has excellent power. Also is an accomplished grappler in addition to his BJJ. That said, Jones' grappling is so unorthodox that he has made other good grapplers look like amateurs. After the Gus fight I look for Jones to come out looking to make a statement. Maybe take the first round to acclimate before turning it up in the second. Glover has a puncher's chance but I think Jones will get the TKO via ground and pound in round 2 or 3.

Any bets on Johnson making weight? Phil will be tough for Johnson to handle. Davis is should be slick enough on his feet to avoid Johnson's striking long enough to dump Johnson on the ground. Johnson is a beast for the first round but his gas tank is notoriously poor. Look for Phil to string Johnson along until he in on "E". I look for a UD for Davis.

Now that Johnson is at 205, I think he will make weight. But I think Davis will control him on the ground for the entire fight. It will be replay of his fight with Josh Koscheck from a long time back, but with bigger men.

Glover is a tough match-up for Jones. His height and reach put him in the same ballpark as Jones. He has excellent power. Also is an accomplished grappler in addition to his BJJ. That said, Jones' grappling is so unorthodox that he has made other good grapplers look like amateurs. After the Gus fight I look for Jones to come out looking to make a statement. Maybe take the first round to acclimate before turning it up in the second. Glover has a puncher's chance but I think Jones will get the TKO via ground and pound in round 2 or 3.

Any bets on Johnson making weight? Phil will be tough for Johnson to handle. Davis is should be slick enough on his feet to avoid Johnson's striking long enough to dump Johnson on the ground. Johnson is a beast for the first round but his gas tank is notoriously poor. Look for Phil to string Johnson along until he in on "E". I look for a UD for Davis.

I'm a little confused here, jones has a 84 inch reach, and glover has 76.

i agree with you on everything else.

Top Bottom