What's new

The MMA Thread

IF (huge if) Silva comes back and ends up fighting weidman again. He should train nothing but wrestling. Surprise weidman and take him down.

That's all i got.

IMO, Silva needs to beat at least 3 people before getting a crack at the belt, I never thought he deserved an immediate rematch, GOAT or not, he got KO'ed bad. Let him beat one person then get a shot. Now after two bad losses, he needs to earn it just like anyone else would. Frankly, though, I hope he retires. Go out as the Greatest of all time, not someone who keeps getting beat by mediocre 185ers. He'll be 40 by the time he comes back, I think he should just hang up the gloves and be remembered as the greatest ever.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IMO, Silva needs to beat at least 3 people before getting a crack at the belt, I never thought he deserved an immediate rematch, GOAT or not, he got KO'ed bad. Let him beat one person then get a shot. Now after two bad losses, he needs to earn it just like anyone else would.

I think that makes sense, I just don't think Silva would be interested in "taking the long way" if he comes back.

I agree, though ... I hope he stays retired.

Agreed, hope he retires. I may be in the minority here, but even though his chin recovered from that shot in the clinch that put him down. His chin is not what it used to be.

watch the rivera fight for reference. He took riveras shots along with a hard uppercut, and he never went down.

He's done. I know he said he wasn't, but sure hope it was just talk and motivation to get him thru the recovery.

I wish him the best, hope to see him in the ring as a trainer or coach, but hope he doesn't fight again.

Lost his last 2, still the best ever, go out on top. I hope he doesn't pull a Fedor coming back to fight a few middle of the road guys and then retire.

He's done. I know he said he wasn't, but sure hope it was just talk and motivation to get him thru the recovery.

I wish him the best, hope to see him in the ring as a trainer or coach, but hope he doesn't fight again.

Lost his last 2, still the best ever, go out on top. I hope he doesn't pull a Fedor coming back to fight a few middle of the road guys and then retire.

So who is the greatest of All Time, Silva or Fedor?

My vote is Silva, he spent his career fighting the best, Fedor fought in Pride when it was the best, but never went to the UFC, he went to StrikeForce and that didn't end up very well. Naturally it was a matter of time before he lost, but I don't like how he went out. I think Anderson is the best MMArtist of all time. I'm not even a fan of his (haven't been since Chael I) but his skills are undeniable. His 16 consecutive UFC wins record may never get broken not to mention his finishing ability.

Last edited:
It's going to be a while before we see someone go 16-0 in the UFC, not to mention defending a title in their division 10 times in a row (should be 11, damn it lutter!).

I agree with TimmyBoston, i don't like the way he went out. But that's how fighting goes.

Saw it earlier today, hope cat has family to support her during sad event in her life. I also hope she can come back not only from her injury. But from this as well. Death of a significant other has got to be one of the most difficult things one has to deal with in life. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her kids.

Very good article on GSP and his opinions on the sports PED problem.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...sed-drug-testing-played-role-in-hiatus-011414

Major points:

One month ago, Georges St-Pierre announced a hiatus from mixed martial arts, citing burnout due to pressure as well as personal issues as the cause. On Tuesday, he added another reason for his break, telling the media during an appearance in Montreal that a lack of support from the UFC in his efforts to clean up the sport also weighed on his mind in stepping away.

“It bothered me enormously,” he said in French. “That’s one of the reasons I stopped fighting.”

“I tried to change things, and unfortunately, maybe for money reasons or for the image, maybe we’re not ready to do that,” St-Pierre said. “Or maybe there’s a fear that everybody is going to want to be tested because a lot of people might be on drugs so the honest people want to have a fair fight. I tried to do change in a very diplomatic way. It didn’t work so it’s unfortunate but I believe it will happen sooner or later.”

"The only thing I want to say is that I wanted to do something to help those who are honest in the sport,” he said. “Believe me or not, I never took drugs in my life. I'll take a lie detector test. I don't care. I'm for anti-doping tests. I think it's a big problem in the sport.

"This is a relatively new sport,” he continued. “There's one organization that has a monopoly, so the fighters don't have much power. They can't really talk because if one says what he thinks, he will get punished."

Saw it earlier today, hope cat has family to support her during sad event in her life. I also hope she can come back not only from her injury. But from this as well. Death of a significant other has got to be one of the most difficult things one has to deal with in life. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her kids.

I saw this as well, but never saw a cause or manner of death, did he take his own life? So tragic.

That was a provocative interview with GSP. It will be interesting to see how the question of PEDs continues to evolve as MMA becomes more mainstream.

Very good article on GSP and his opinions on the sports PED problem.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...sed-drug-testing-played-role-in-hiatus-011414

Major points:

One month ago, Georges St-Pierre announced a hiatus from mixed martial arts, citing burnout due to pressure as well as personal issues as the cause. On Tuesday, he added another reason for his break, telling the media during an appearance in Montreal that a lack of support from the UFC in his efforts to clean up the sport also weighed on his mind in stepping away.

“It bothered me enormously,” he said in French. “That’s one of the reasons I stopped fighting.”

“I tried to change things, and unfortunately, maybe for money reasons or for the image, maybe we’re not ready to do that,” St-Pierre said. “Or maybe there’s a fear that everybody is going to want to be tested because a lot of people might be on drugs so the honest people want to have a fair fight. I tried to do change in a very diplomatic way. It didn’t work so it’s unfortunate but I believe it will happen sooner or later.”

"The only thing I want to say is that I wanted to do something to help those who are honest in the sport,” he said. “Believe me or not, I never took drugs in my life. I'll take a lie detector test. I don't care. I'm for anti-doping tests. I think it's a big problem in the sport.

"This is a relatively new sport,” he continued. “There's one organization that has a monopoly, so the fighters don't have much power. They can't really talk because if one says what he thinks, he will get punished."

I read this article this morning too. I'm so glad GSP said it. It's time the UFC (and all sports) really got honest and said we all know this goes on.

about zingano's husband, from the various reports it appears he hung himself. Very sad news.

I agree about GSP, i'm glad he has become very vocal on this subject. Even though i do support some of the fighters that are on TRT (hendo, vitor) i would rather they didn't take the stuff. I do not support TRT in MMA, i just like the way those guys fight.

Top Bottom