What's new

The MMA Thread

Just wanted to post that Jeff Blatnick passed yesterday. Way too young. RIP Olympic Champion.

Yeah, that is sad. I still remember renting every single old UFC cassette that Blockbuster carried back in like...99 or so. Blatnick will forever have a fond place in my memory.

Also...I was about to start complaining about Cain getting a rematch after only winning one fight, but then I realized that by saying I wanted to see JDS fight Overeem, I would be approving someone even less deserving of a title shot. I think Reem and Cain should have fought to determine who fought JDS next. That'd be a good fight, much better than watching Cain get shellacked by the champ again.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
ok heres a question. Anderson Silva's manager said they want to fight GSP next.

so Silva vs GSP.

will it happen?
i highly do not think it will, but that's one PPV i'd pay for.

I actually just watched Silva's most recent fight (Sonnen) on Youtube yesterday. My impression ... four and a half rounds of Sonnen winning, and then Silva gets a (lucky? skill?) submission. Sure, a win is a win and all that, but what I saw didn't make me want to write "best ever" hagiographies. If I were betting money on a rematch, I'd put money on Sonnen.

I suspect that Sonnen could have done better ... but isn't good enough on the technical side to fully exploit how well he was doing.

I suspect that GSP could take it to that extra level, that Sonnen could not.

Yeah, that is sad. I still remember renting every single old UFC cassette that Blockbuster carried back in like...99 or so. Blatnick will forever have a fond place in my memory.

Can you still rent fight videos at Blockbuster? I never go there anymore, but I'd love to watch some old fights. I have a bunch of old Pride DVDs, but I've watched them so many times it's like deja vu from start to finish.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Silva has fought Sonnen twice and beat him twice but both fights were really good. I think Sonnen is the only person who gave silva any trouble. Just when you think Sonnen has him beat Silva pulls it off...both times.

His last fight was Oct. 13th vs Stephan Bonnar and again he gets beat up some but lands one solid knee and its over. he does this a lot. takes punches, taunts his opponents, takes abuse, but when he dishes it out the fight is done. Silva and GSP have impressive MMA records, and UFC records, from watching them both fight i think it would just be a stand off and end in an decision.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think Sonnen is the only person who gave silva any trouble.

I've only seen that one recent Sonnen fight for Silva, so maybe my perspective is a bit off ... like judging Pacquiao from just that recent Bradley fight ...

I just read that Dream is going to try to mount a New Year's Eve show. According to sherdog, they've partnered up with a Dutch promotion that can draw on Golden Glory's guys. The plan is to do it like a Pride/Dream event, with some kickboxers testing the MMA waters too. Kawajiri and some of the old guys have signed on already. I don't think that this is going to be a return to the good old days of Japanese MMA, but I'm glad that something is alive and kicking. I went to one of the last Dream events in the summer of 2011 and it was kind of sad. There were some good fights, but it looked like they were struggling to keep the power turned on and the turnout was pretty low.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nice win by Arlovski last night, but he holds his hands waaaaay too low and will get his chin tickled once again by someone down the road.

Nice win by Arlovski last night, but he holds his hands waaaaay too low and will get his chin tickled once again by someone down the road.

Arlovski should be alright until he gets close to retirement in my opinion. This isn't because I disagree with you, but because he'll stay at small at small shows fighting amateurs until he becomes completely irrelevant.

Anthony Johnson won with a big KO. I hope he gets another chance in the UFC. I like him at 205. I don't expect him ever to challenge for a title, but he's a good fighter.

Bonnar failed his steroid test against Silva. Can you imagine if he had upset Anderson then failed the test? Would have been the biggest disaster in UFC history. I think this will keep him from being a Hall of Famer.

Arlovski should be alright until he gets close to retirement in my opinion. This isn't because I disagree with you, but because he'll stay at small at small shows fighting amateurs until he becomes completely irrelevant.

Anthony Johnson won with a big KO. I hope he gets another chance in the UFC. I like him at 205. I don't expect him ever to challenge for a title, but he's a good fighter.

Bonnar failed his steroid test against Silva. Can you imagine if he had upset Anderson then failed the test? Would have been the biggest disaster in UFC history. I think this will keep him from being a Hall of Famer.

Incredible. This is the second time he failed a drug test.

Any thoughts about the upcoming return of GSP?

I think condit is going to end they fight by stoppage and/or tko by strikes.

GSP has been out too long, wasn't looking that good when he left. Condit is young, active and I hope he destroys him.

Any thoughts about the upcoming return of GSP?

GSP has been out of action for a looong time. Hard to imagine that some cage rust has not developed. Condit is a touch match, even without the extended layoff. I don't hope for anything more than an entertaining fight.

GSP has been out of action for a looong time. Hard to imagine that some cage rust has not developed. Condit is a touch match, even without the extended layoff. I don't hope for anything more than an entertaining fight.

We are all hoping for this.

I don't think ring rust will be too much of a factor for GSP, mostly just because I don't think his style really would be affected by it too much. That's not to say it won't rear it's head, but I think guys with explosive double-legs, and top control dominated ground and pound can more easily get back in the groove than more striker types that rely on slickness and technicality. I would be more worried that the knee could rob him of that lightning quick level change and explosiveness.

I, too, hope for an entertaining fight. Unfortunately GSP doesn't often deliver those, imho. I Never buy or go to see one of his fights. Personal preference, but smothering top control and sporadic, if vicious, elbows doesn't cut it for me.

Top Bottom