What's new

The MMA Thread

OK, I'll play, who do you like and why?

I've been a fan of Nelson and Lebon, probably because they are not your typical personalities. Although Nelson has gone a bit "Chael" on us lately with his comments. Mir is a meathead, but I like him because of his submissions, the fact that he made it back from a moto accident, and he's now one of the old timers who's been around a long time.

Good question, I'll post some now and expound on it later.

So much of fandom is not only subjective but irrational. I've only met a handful of fighters and only have secondhand knowledge of a few more, so like everyone most of this is gut feeling.

Frankie Edgar, love the heart of the little guy. He's still champ in my book.
Pat Barry - Pat always puts on a great show, he comes off as a very genuine likeable guy and from what I've read he will spend more time signing autographs than any other fighter.
Randy Couture - He's everyone's hero.
The Miller Bros - Those guys are class acts all the way.
GSP - That guy may not the be the most excited anymore, but he's a great champ and a wonderful ambassador to the sport.
Chael Sonnen - That guy's nuts, but he's entertaining.
Roy Nelson - Brings a much needed sense of humor to the sport. Great chin, great heart, great overhand right.

I'll post more later.

Kampmann knocks out Ellenberger, not was I was expecting. I knew Martin could win, but I expected it via submission or decision. I still thought the stoppage was early, but either way Ellenberger wasn't in a good place.

another come from behind (or at least i thought so) win for Kampmann...which i was very happy with. i've liked Kampmann for a while now and it's nice to see him get a few wins back to back against some bigger names.

i'm not saying Ellenberger would have come back, heck he was grabbing his nose/mouth as soon as he hit the ground and would surely have taken a few more blows, but steve Mazzagatti sure stopped the fight fast. maybe he saw something like his eyes or daze, but it could have went the other way if he had stopped it that early when Kampmann went down in the 1st.

this was from a while back (not current), but it holds true

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big Uriah Faber and his Alpha Males (Chad Mendes, Danny Castillo, TJ Dillashaw etc) fan. It just seems like those guys train hard and have a blast doing it. Master Thing seems like a riot lol. Can't wait for his fight vs Renan Barrao, just wish it was against Cruz.

disrespectful during the fight and even in the interview.

what did he mean "I want that belt back"?...wasn't aware Gray ever held a title.

i was really hoping Clay would win, i'd love to see him win a title before he calls it quits, hopefully notanytime soon.

Yea, me too. I like Clay. Maynard with the middle finger because Clay wouldn't stop and trade punches with him really made him look like a tool.

Yea, me too. I like Clay. Maynard with the middle finger because Clay wouldn't stop and trade punches with him really made him look like a tool.

multiple times in the fight, swearing during the interview, 100% unprofessional.

i sure hope Dana disciplines him and smartens up, but he's already come out and said it was a bad Main Event and was not happy with Clay's performance.. i don't like Maynards fighting style or personality and he's not charismatic or a good interview. he doesn't have much going for him as far as marketability.

clay is down to earth and a true fan favourite. win or loose, he always comes back strong and respectful and i've never seen him embarrass himself or the UFC or the sport.

MMA JUNKIE on Guida vs Maynard

I cannot stand Clay or his style of take people down and do nothing with it, stand up, and do it all over again. He's a stepping stone like Bisping and will never be much more than that. Glad he lost.

Last night is just another example of the UFC holding too many PPV events that gain less and less interest.

Last night is just another example of the UFC holding too many PPV events that gain less and less interest.

i agree with that. i could care less about last nights PPV, a main even with 2 old timers and a bunch of other fights i don't have any interest in. i'll get around to watching it, but a few cards/ppv's a month is too much.

i agree with that. i could care less about last nights PPV, a main even with 2 old timers and a bunch of other fights i don't have any interest in. i'll get around to watching it, but a few cards/ppv's a month is too much.

Had Belfort not been hurt, that card would have been huge in Brazil. Franklin Silva still ended up being a good fight.

Had Belfort not been hurt, that card would have been huge in Brazil. Franklin Silva still ended up being a good fight.

yes it was a very good fight. i like Wanderlei, he seems like such a nice guy and the fans love him...but rich is also mr nice guy, hard not to like either of them.

It's already the Wednesday before the fight; I think this thread is overdue. This might be one of the most anticipated fights in a very long time.

I don't even know who I'd pick to win this fight. I'm not a betting man but I suppose if I did, I'd have to go with Silva. Either way, I'll be happy with the outcome, as I like to watch both fighters.

Sonnen looked like crap against Bisping. I actually started to think he was funny for about five minutes there, but that was a quick five minutes. He's also a crook. I think he loses in the second or third.

D

Deleted member 48987

Sonnen looked like crap against Bisping. I actually started to think he was funny for about five minutes there, but that was a quick five minutes. He's also a crook. I think he loses in the second or third.

Agreed, that was not a decisive win at all. I could have seen it going the other way to be honest. After watching that fight, I was thinking there's no way he'd beat Silva. I don't know how much I can really attribute to Silva's rib injury in their first fight though, it seemed like Chael really had his number.

There has been so much build up for this fight that there is little chance it can live up to the billing so I am simply hoping for a good fight. The same advantages and disadvantages that existed in the first fight still exist but at a lesser extent. Sonnen's sole strength is still Anderson sole weakness. As much as I would like to see Sonnen win (not because of his act but because of his wrestling pedigree), I don't think that Sonnen is going to be able to dominate Anderson for 5 rounds. Spider had too many weapons and too many avenues to end the fight. The onlu unknowns at this point are the possible effects of the pressure and the head games.

My prediction is that Anderson comes out looking for a quick KO. He doesn't get the KO but sets Sonnen up for a sub in Round 2.

The first fight was impressive and Silva's win when the fat lady was already singing for Sonnen was very unbelievable. Sonnen has great wrestling skills but his biggest weakness is his mouth. Silva will win again.

Top Bottom