What's new

The MMA Thread

UFC 140 prelims streaming on Facebook now. (You have to "LIKE" UFC to get them, but I always "Unlike" the page afterwards so my FB doesn't get flooded with UFC spam)

+1 i do the same...i'll have to miss them tonight though, pizza and movie night with the kids and wife. i'll catch up on the TV prelims tomorrow

just checked...2HRS or prelims on rogers sportsnet...i missed the 1st couple of minutes on the PVR, but lots of prelims free on HD tv....nice.

I really thought that Machida was going to give Jones a run for his money after the first round. That gash above his head really was the beginning of the end. Great night of fights, that's for sure!

I really thought that Machida was going to give Jones a run for his money after the first round. That gash above his head really was the beginning of the end. Great night of fights, that's for sure!

In hindsight, I would have to think that, like Spider does, Jones took the first round to get a read on his opponent.

great PPV if you ask me...lots of good fights, stoppages, submissions, broken arms (ew, that was gross) and both MainEvens were quite entertaining.

He has the superior wrestling skills and has the knock out power to KO Jones and he's trained with him so he knows his weaknesses. Dan Handerson is too old and isn't quick enough to deliver the H-Bomb. Jones' reach and height, not to mention his wrestling skills are too much for Hendo.

With that being said, Jon Jones still sucks!! I don't care if he beat Machida.

Am I the only one who thinks he should move on to HW division if he beats either Rashad or Hendo or anyone else that'll challange him for the title? lol Dos Santos vs. Jones...Lesner would rip Jones apart.

You don't like Bones. And that is okay.

BTW- Vlad, Bader and Hamill also had better wrestling creds than Jones...look where that got them.

Why all the hate for Jon Jones recently? The guy is an outstanding fighter, that is usually exciting, and brings a unique skill set into the octagon.

That being said, anyone can get caught in MMA at any time. This is what makes Anderson's title defense streak so impressive. Eventually, Bones' frame will continue to grow and he will be a HW but I would expect a few more title defenses until then.

Why all the hate for Jon Jones recently? .

If you have haters then you're probably doing something right.

Jones is the real deal but that definitely doesn't mean that one wild punch won't take him out. But with all great fighters his time is coming but not anytime soon.

Didn't Henderson just knock out a much younger Bisping a year ago? Didn't he take Anderson Silva to the bell? Wasn't he a US team wrestler? Not to say he is going to beat Jones, but I do think this goes against a lot of what you just said. To say a guy stinks who is the champ in the deepest division in the UFC is absurd.

Wow, what a win. Chump move by Jones to drop Machida like that. Once a chump, always a chump. Great fighter, but terrible human being.

I don't know if Jones noticed that Machida was limp. Especially with Machida's arm holding up, it's really not the fighter's fault at that point because if he would have let go and Machida was not out, then he wouldn't have won at that point. Either way you look at it, the choke wasn't held for all that long to cause any serious damage to Machida's brain.

Jones is a tough one to beat, it will be interesting to see how long he can hold on to the title.

I don't know if Jones noticed that Machida was limp. Especially with Machida's arm holding up, it's really not the fighter's fault at that point because if he would have let go and Machida was not out, then he wouldn't have won at that point. Either way you look at it, the choke wasn't held for all that long to cause any serious damage to Machida's brain.

Jones is a tough one to beat, it will be interesting to see how long he can hold on to the title.
Jones said in a post fight interview that he knew Machida was out.

Either way, I don't think anyone is really qualified to say what he should or should not have done, unless they have been in the middle of the octagon with their adrenaline pumping to the max after beating one of the greatest fighters in the sport. It's not like he kicked him while he was down; the ref jumped in and said it was over and he let go.

Jones said in a post fight interview that he knew Machida was out.

Either way, I don't think anyone is really qualified to say what he should or should not have done, unless they have been in the middle of the octagon with their adrenaline pumping to the max after beating one of the greatest fighters in the sport. It's not like he kicked him while he was down; the ref jumped in and said it was over and he let go.

I didn't watch the post fight, and that paraphrase of Jones is all out of context. Either that means that he knew Machida was out right before the fight was called or he knew for say longer then 30sec before the fight was called.

Could you clarify which of those is the case? Either way I don't think he should have let go any earlier then the fight being called but in the second case he could have asked the ref to call it earlier.

bottom line....you do NOT stop fighting, until the referee stops you! i've seen it a bunch of times, where someone walk away with their back to them, breaks early or whatever, then gets wolloped.

bottom line....you do NOT stop fighting, until the referee stops you! i've seen it a bunch of times, where someone walk away with their back to them, breaks early or whatever, then gets wolloped.

That's right--it's on the ref to stop it. I think that Jones showed a lot of poise in that fight. It'll be interesting to see how his career develops.

Top Bottom