What's new

Lodge 7QT Dutch Oven & Wagner #10 Skillet

I have a 10" Griswold pan that is my most used kitchen instrument outside of my Chef's Knife. It's well over 100 years old, having belonged to my great-grandmother in the late 1800s. It's so well seasoned, that I have never had to scrub anything "burned on" of of it -- literally a quick swish with a metal scrubbie pad is as aggressive as I have ever needed.

I STILL need to purchase a cast iron skillet. I just need to confirm that what you're all saying is I won't have scrambled eggs sticking to my pans if they're seasoned properly?

I STILL need to purchase a cast iron skillet. I just need to confirm that what you're all saying is I won't have scrambled eggs sticking to my pans if they're seasoned properly?

Yes, that is basically true. However, it may take a while before proper seasoning is established. It took several months for my cast iron griddle to become decently non-stick. Be patient, don't give up.
(The end reslt is worth it -- my 100+ year old pan is far slicker than any "non-stick" I've used, but of course, you probably don't want to wait that long! :001_tongu )
I haven't used any of Lodge's new "pre-seasoned" skillets, but it should help quite a bit.

Just follow the ideas above for seasoning and maintaining, and you'll be all set.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I still say that carbon steel pans are the best for cooking eggs.

Cast iron is a wonderful and useful tool- grandma was right.

What my cast iron is doing for me tonight...

Cut up a fryer, browned it over medium high heat in a couple splashes of EVOO in the Wagner #10. Salt and pepper, throw in a bunch of thyme and the peeled cloves from three heads of garlic with about a half cup more olive oil and throw in that 350 degree oven for about an hour or so with the lid from the Lodge dutch oven on top of the old skillet.

I love that fourty clove garlic chicken, and I'll spread that garlic over toast and just revel in the stuff.

Tonight will be a Lilac Vegetal shave, just to combat the garlic smell. :blink::thumbup:

I have a Lodge 10" and a dutch oven - some of the best additions to my kitchen and, a joke in terms of price.

I don't do a ton of frying, but I love pan roasting just about anything that clucks, grunts or moos.

As for cleaning, I try to use a stiff brush and warm water.

We cook a lot and I have a big collection of cast iron skillets/pots/dutch ovens, some new from Lodge and some old out of antique stores. I live in New England, so there's always a lot of inventory classified as antique.

We also have many All Clad pots and pans in both stick and non stick. These are my wife's favorite, and they do serve a purpose. She likes the non stick the best, and the stick gets the least use. The non stick is sort of fragile and you've got to watch it.

All Clad is expensive, but we shop for what we need at TJ Max and HomeGoods, where a $200+ pot or pan can be for sale for less than $50. Got one of their pizza pans that way. All Clad is the best stainless gear IMHO.

Still, cast iron is so cool for it's utility and cost. Cheap and durable. And there's some things cooked in cast iron no other type of pan can beat. Fried Chicken in the Lodge 14" Deep Skillet, for example, only $33 and heavy duty. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3925

It's great when the pan is so well seasoned the cooking surface is like an ice rink.

The reason they call it a Dutch Oven, BTW, is way back the main source of iron ore was from mines controlled by the Dutch. They had some sort of monopoly on it for a period of time and aluminum hadn't been invented yet.

Nice Thread.

Last edited:
I was given a 12" anda grill pan "emeril brand" as a gift but i have been using them every week for something, and I have been happy with the results, mainly the crisp exterior of the meat or potatoes cooked in it.

I have probably 10 pieces running from Recent to a Century Old. If inanimate objects actually can bring happiness,cast iron comes closer than just about anything else.
Lodge makes a good piece but sheesh they seem excessively heavy on some models.
Why are the older ones often lighter and easier to handle?
I often advise folks to hunt around antique shops if they are not in a hurry.
Also, the actual surface itself are not as high quality as in the past.
Lodge at one time tacitly acknowledged this and sold a "machined" skillet that was extra smooth for a additional amount.
If you are going to buy a Lodge 10 or 12 inch skillet,spring for the lid they sell
alongside of it!
God knows I love my Le Creuset Dutch Ovens, but often you don't need to feed a crowd and the lids turns your skillet into a mini dutch oven.
As stated above,Bacon is the gold standard for whipping a lodge into shape.
A drop of soap isn't going to ruin the seasoning or give off putting tastes to your food. Just don't go nuts with it.
Buy it ,start frying bacon until its blacker than Hades and you are well on the way to creating a piece of family history.

Top Bottom