What's new

Whats a good 80 proof bourbon?

I'm looking for a good 80 proof bourbon if there is such a thing usually i drink scotch and rum neat but I want to try some bourbon.

Since I drink scotch and rum and there mostly 80 proof that's as strong as I think I can go sipping it neat. Usually I Drink Johnny walker black and zacapa 23 just for a reference point as far as smoothness goes.

I don't want to spend more than $30 just in case its not my thing

Thanks

Jim

Woodford Reserve - It is a little more than 80 proof (90.4) but it is still very, very smooth on the rocks or neat. It can be sipped as well. I am mainly a beer drinker, but when I do drink liquor, Woodford Reserve is in my starting lineup.

Enjoy.

It might be $5-10 outside your price range, but Basil Hayden's 8yr is pretty decent. Other than that though, I can't think of too many 80pr Bourbons that are of good quality and made for sippin' (rather than mixin'). If I were really that bothered by an extra 5-10% more alcohol in my glass, I'd just add a little water (because that's exactly what they do at the distillery... you don't think it comes out of the barrel at 80pr, do you? :lol:). I'd steer you away from Wild Turkey 80 proof, as to me it tastes like distillery "leftovers."

I think that's a better bet instead of going with a lower-shelf, large-batch bourbon. And a little water won't upset the taste. In fact, some (as with scotch) think a splash of water "opens up" the flavors.

In my defense, he asked for suggestions under $30, not good suggestions under $30, Pat. :lol:

Gotcha... I can't hate on the WT 80 too much, but I just can't imagine sipping it like I do with some other bourbons. And by "leftovers" I mean the barrels that weren't good enough to make it into their other lines. But it's a good honest bourbon and definitely a nice price. Still though, I'd just get the 101 and water it down a tinge. It tastes better...

In fact, it's kind of a bargain. Here, for example, the 101 is only 17% more expensive than the 80. (Seasoned imbibers such as myself can do this sort of math in our heads quicker than any calculator) :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Point taken though. It probably would be best just to start with a higher proof and water it down to tastes from there. Besides you'll need a little water to help open things up as is anyways... :biggrin:

There is not such a thing...

Sorry - let me know if you're willing to move up a few proof points.

Last edited:
How about Dickel #8 I hear its decent and its 80 proof is it good enough to drink neat or is it just swill to mix with?

Thanks

Jim

Regardless of proof, I think you'll find Woodford Reserve, Russell Reserve, Knob Creek, and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve "sippin' worthy" neat, or as I take them, on a few rocks. They're all smooth, flavorful, and around $30.

NANP™

How about Dickel #8 I hear its decent and its 80 proof is it good enough to drink neat or is it just swill to mix with?

Thanks

Jim

well, Dickel's is a Tennessee whiskey, not a bourbon. The main difference being that it's charcoal mellowed. but it is quite smooth and might be up your alley. It's a good whiskey, and just fine neat.

I don't know what state you are in but Four Roses makes a great 80 proof at about $18.00. It has limited distribution.

well, Dickel's is a Tennessee whiskey, not a bourbon. The main difference being that it's charcoal mellowed. but it is quite smooth and might be up your alley. It's a good whiskey, and just fine neat.

I also like George Dickel - and it seems to be a good value at that.

I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey which was 102 proof or something around there, I mean if it's too strong you can just dilute it a bit.

It isn't as though when they sell 40% alcohol spirits that they are manufactured that way, when it comes out of the barrel it is much higher and they just add water to dilute it to that level.

Bulleit is 90 proof and I drink it both neat and in mixed drinks. It's a bargain at 19.99 at Trader Joes (cheapest I've found it) and I routinely choose it over more expensive brands. Love it!

What percentage is 80 proof? At first I thought he was asking for 80% bourbon and only one name came to mind...George T. Stagg

Most bourbon is so smooth you can drink it neat regardless of the proof, though I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Stagg yet. If the alcohol content is a huge thing, just add a little bit of branch water or a single ice cube to mellow it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom