What's new

Can Opener Hell

Is it possible to actually buy a can opener that can open a can ? I sure can't find one. How did such a simple functioning tool become worthless ?

It truly does. I found it at a local kitchen store three years ago, approximately two hours after I threw the previous can opener out the back door and into the yard. It works like a charm.

Thank you so very much. I'm in the middle of a tantrum right now due to just buying a can opener to replace the one we got a few weeks ago and it won't open a can right out of the package.

+1 I have one and love it...

For traveling I always have one of these and they actually work great - considering the size etc... P-38 /P-51 Can Opener

Yeah I remember those from when I was a young Punk kid. I was seriously thinking of going to the surplus store and getting some for the house. I figured if I had three of those they could last me the rest of my life. Other than losing them I never broke one.

OXO smooth edge can opener.

proxy.php

Dimensions: 7.5'' x 4.5'' x 2.25''
Weight: 11 oz.

OXO's Smooth Edge Can Opener cuts on the side of the can, below the can edge, leaving no sharp edges on the can or lid. The easy-to-turn, side-wind knob requires less force and features OXO's non-slip, comfortable grip. Enjoy a more safe, hygenic and easy way to open small and large cans.

No sharp edges left on can or lid
Easy-to-turn side-wind grip
Durable stainless steel cutting wheel does not touch can contents and stays clean
Soft, non-slip handles and easy turning knob
Lid pliers for no-touch lid removal
Lid can be replaced on top of can for storage

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have an old black and decker electric but I recall buying a couple others before it that didn't work worth a darn. We go through a lot of canned tomatoes diced, stewed, sauce, paste. . . chickpeas, tuna, beans of various sorts. I guess my wife and I could survive a good while on our stock of cans . . . and yep I have a manual backup can opener and a camp stove.

I absolutely hate those smoothe edge can openers. We had them in the restaurant I used to work in. They are completley worthless. I guess traditional can openers are worthless too, so pick your poision.

I absolutely hate those smoothe edge can openers. We had them in the restaurant I used to work in. They are completley worthless. I guess traditional can openers are worthless too, so pick your poision.

We've always used one of these:

proxy.php

Yea, I wish we had one of those. There wasn't really any good space for one though. It would really have gotten in the way on our main work table.

Ever opened a can with one of those? Serious pain in the ***. Last New Years Eve, our can opener gave out. We needed to open a few cans of duck confit. My dad, being the great Boy Scout leader he is always has one of these on his keychain. Using that was not easy and very painful.

Top Bottom