What's new

In a hurry?

I was running a bit late yesterday, with no time to work up a good later, and do a good DE shave, so, ...in the shower, bear softened, Proraso shaving cream and pop a fresh cartridge in my M3, and away we go. In no time at all, a nice smooth shave. I ran my fingers over everything and was satisfied. ASB afterwards, dressed, and off to work. So far so good.
two hours later, running my hand over my beard. What's that? Could that be stubble? After only 2 hours????? That never happens when I'm using my DE.
Late afternoon. Neck itchy. Touch the spot with my fingers and feel an itchy raised area. Run to the mirror; Good grief--the beginnings of an ingrown hair!!!! Managed to salvage that.

This morning: made sure I had plenty of time for a great shave. Hauled out my Method Shaving stuff, and after the shower, stood in front of the sink and gave myself a leisurely, comfortably, luxurious, BBS shave. It's 8 hours later and I can feel the beginning of stubble starting to raise itself.
so--anybody got any questions about the efficacy of M3 vs DE?
And the only advice I would give is that which I didn't follow yesterday:
In a hurry? don't be.

I wish we could all learn from your experience, but some of us just have to experience things for ourselves to learn. Hopefully that is not the case. When I am in a rush I use a soap and lay it on thick without whipping it up into a lather. then I usually do 1 with the grain or for a second across the grain pass and thats it. not BBS but a passable shave and it holds its consistency for a quite a bit longer than the mach 3. besides. If I skip a day my next shave is always horrible at best. I have to shave everyday if I want a shot at BBS.

I say throw out the M3's so that it is not even a temptation in the future.

It would be great to never be in a hurry but it happens some times...

I have at least two creams that can be used brushless in pinch... or you can try something similar to what I did today.

In a hurry I always slather on cream with my hands. Some creams work pretty well brushless. Then I do one of two things. I might take up a Tech or Super Speed with a Merkur blade. I can shave as fast as a want, without any fear of cuts or irritation. Or I use my Futur with a Feather blade opened way up. I have to be a bit slower and more methodical, but it takes off some much on the first pass that I can get away with just that.

Or if really in a hurry, I just don't shave.

-Mo

:sleep: :sleep: Before I got into wet shaving (the right way), I set my alarm for 5:01 a.m. every day because I was adamant about not getting up at 5:00. (I am NOT a morning person, but I've taken a job with a long commute for a variety of reasons). After I learned the joys of shaving the right way, I re-set the cursed machine for 4:55. This may not seem very important to many of you, but it was a major, major big deal for me--that's how important this has become.

When I am in a hurry. It's KMF directly to the face after my shower and a Gillette Tech. The tech is very forgiving even with a Feather. :shaving:

:sleep: :sleep: Before I got into wet shaving (the right way), I set my alarm for 5:01 a.m. every day because I was adamant about not getting up at 5:00. (I am NOT a morning person, but I've taken a job with a long commute for a variety of reasons). After I learned the joys of shaving the right way, I re-set the cursed machine for 4:55. This may not seem very important to many of you, but it was a major, major big deal for me--that's how important this has become.

Jazzman, I never considered myself a morning person either. Then I did a major career change back in 1990 (I seem to do this about every 10 years) and found myself becoming a morning commuter train rider into Corporate in Downtown Chicago. This necessitated a 4:45 AM wake up.

It totally changed my lifestyle and though I no longer get up that early, I found that I thrived on getting the day started early. Even on the weekends, I very seldom sack in past 7 and during the week its 5:30 to 6:00.
I also found that a leisurely start to the day, to include a slow DE wet shave just adds to a very successful day.

Tim, on the weekends, my slow, leisurely DE shave doesn't begin before 10:00. I guess I still haven't made the adjustment to morning person, even though I know I'll pay for it on Monday morning.

Quick shaves for me mean lathering directly on my face with Honey Bee spa Bay Rum( the soap that thinks it's a cream).

Then 2 passes with the slant-one wit', one against and done.

Marty

One of the advantages of being self employed is that there is no specific time that I have to be in the office, so I can usually have a leisurely shave. However, once in a while I have an early meeting or some such. A few months ago, I would have turned to the M3 for a quickie. But as my technique improves, I have found that I can shave quite quickly with my DE with good results and no cuts. Today was one of those days -- so I set the Gillette slim w/Derby to 4 and did two very quick passes with Mama Bear soap. I started far later than I should have, and was surprised and just how fast I could do a pass -- if I had tried it at that speed just a month ago, I'd have nicked myself good...

I don't think it's the M3

I would say it's the Proraso applied without a brush

These creams are great with a brush ; but without, they simply suck

I'm normally a 3 pass shaver. When I'm in a hurry, my primary way to speed things along is to knock it down to one pass. No chance of BBS, but I'll take it. I look presentable.

For those routinely in a hurry, the Proraso Canned Foam is much better than the other cans, Edge, Gilette, etc, IMO. Gosh I hope that wasn't what Eric was talking about though. :confused:

For those routinely in a hurry, the Proraso Canned Foam is much better than the other cans, Edge, Gilette, etc, IMO. Gosh I hope that wasn't what Eric was talking about though. :confused:

I'd imagine it is better. But I'd just take say Musgo Real applied brushless. It is mighty fine that way.

-Mo

My hurry routine consists of a simple WS pure badger brush, Proraso products and a Merkur Long Handle. I find the added lubrication of proraso (in the tub) makes shaving fast reasonably safe.

Top Bottom