What's new

Antique Store Find

Paid $10 for what I believe is a 1934 Aristocrat and a 1947 Super speed combined. They were in rough shape when I saw them. I wish I took before pics. These are the afters. They are now in pretty good shape. Mechanically 100% fine. I think the woman thought I was crazy when I bought them (I had any idea but didn't know if they were worth anything).

Any opinions? Somewhat new here...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both razors are very nice. Is the Super Speed silver color and why do you think it is a '47?

$10 for both? That's quite a deal.

Len

Last edited:
R

rainman

If you end up not liking that aristocrat I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking it off your hands!

Let us know how the shave is.

I don't think I see a 47 there. Some later year. Still very very nice. The superspeed alone would have been a decent buy for $10. The that aristocrat, wow. I really should read the wiki more. That one surprises me. First open comb TTO? Never knew that. according to the wiki, yours would be the early model. Late 30's didn't have the rivets showing. Don't be surprised if you get several pms asking if you want to sell it. I am drooling.

Both razors are very nice. Is the Super Speed silver color and why do you think it is a '47?

$10 for both? That's quite a deal.

Len

Yeah it is a silver but almost looks like pewter. Looks like this and no date code so it has to be a '47:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:47_SS_2.jpg
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:47_SS.jpg

If you end up not liking that aristocrat I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking it off your hands!

Let us know how the shave is.

Funny I was planning on dumping the Aristocrat. When I found it it was green and covered with sticky crap. Used it with a shark blade. Needless to say I can't see a reason to ever use the Merkur HD I was using previously ever again. That is what I am going to dump. Best razor I have ever used.

Yeah it is a silver but almost looks like pewter. Looks like this and no date code so it has to be a '47:

the 47 Super-Speed is no notched (on top in the picture). The notched Super-Speed comes from 48-49. 1950 it gives a test date code (V) in the middle of the base plate and from 1951-1954 they have a regular date code.

The 30's Aristocrat is a great performer and a shaver razor at that price is a score! Congrats and enjoy!

Funny I was planning on dumping the Aristocrat. When I found it it was green and covered with sticky crap. Used it with a shark blade. Needless to say I can't see a reason to ever use the Merkur HD I was using previously ever again. That is what I am going to dump. Best razor I have ever used.[/QUOTE]

Good choice. The '30's open comb Aristocrat is my favorite as well. And we are not alone. Enjoy.

Len

What is the consensus if I get the Aristocrat replated? I paid $5 for it. It will probably cost ~$25 to have it done. For $30 I can have a vintage razor that looks new.

R

rainman

What is the consensus if I get the Aristocrat replated? I paid $5 for it. It will probably cost ~$25 to have it done. For $30 I can have a vintage razor that looks new.

If I only paid $5 for the Aristocrat, I'd get it plated. It will be like using a new razor.

Curious, what did you use to clean that Aristocrat? I ask because I picked one up tonight :biggrin:. 30's open comb like yours. It'll need cleaning, then I'll consider if it needs replating too. I paid considerably more than you, but then I also had lots of competition.

BTW, even though it'd look like new re-plated, you need to understand that doing so kills originality and some of the collectible value (from what I've read here).

Any way you slice it, great score!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom