Thread: Ident help on an oldie (restoration advice?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ident help on an oldie (restoration advice?)

Picked this up in a package deal with an aluminum handled black tip SS. (3rd.Q of '51).

This thing, closest I can find on the Wiki is a Goodwill. But thee are significant differences in the handle and the "cap" (terminology needed, what is the part that covers the blade on a three piece called?).

On the back there are two rows of patent numbers on the left side (ending in 745 and 316) and a reissue patent number on the right bottom. Roll it over and you've got the Gillette diamond on the left, and made IN USA on the right (these are also bottom row, all printing oriented so bottom reads, top is upside down).

Appears to have been finished gold at one point, looks like most of that is gone. I'll know more once I hit it with scrubbing bubbles and a tooth brush. Cleaning these up, are they usable unfinished brass? Anyone replating these?

The teeth all seem to be straight and intact. It doesn't seem to be dinged up at all.

Thoughts?

BTW, are scrubbing bubbles safe for plastic and aluminum? (The handle and knob on the black tip SS, I need to know if it'll damage that or if I need to use another method- that one is really quite clean BTW, pics coming soon),
    T Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a New with the standard fat handle.

Len

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Good old Gillette NEW with the common bar handle. Great shaver. Looks like most of the plating is gone, but that won't affect performance. If you waant it to be "beautiful" again, replating is an option.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=81 - Washington State Wetshavers - because we're all wet here anyway.
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:R0ckrat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go back to the WIKI and click on the NEW. Your razor is the one in the first row of photos sitting on the red case.

Len

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Gents! I'd only been going off the "dating info" part of the Wiki. That's how I missed this one.

I'm a few weeks from trying anything other than my new Merkur probably, but I look forward to shaving with some of the new ones (a 53 SS and a really clean 65 Slim Adjustable inbound too). RAD! Who'd have thought .

ETA: I've got more inbound! Picked up a lot of five, including a clean '47 SS (), a Ball Handled Tech, what I'm pretty sure is a Big Fellow (rough shape), a Gem Micromatic (?) and another as yet unidentified (pics on arrival). Only really went after it for that '47 SS...
    Last edited by T Rick; 09-05-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    T Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can plate it for you.....

[IMG][/IMG]
    Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ooh! That looks great. We'll talk. I've got a couple more razors inbound and at least one (pretty sure it's a Big Fellow) might also be a candidate. I'll send a PM with particulars once I know where I'm at.
    Last edited by T Rick; 09-05-2009 at 12:43 AM.
    T Rick