Thread: Memories and nostalgia

Belfast NI

Default Memories and nostalgia

I would just like to get a general consensus from the community here on something I have been pondering. Firstly il explain how this came about. As a young lad I have this one enduring memory of when I used to stay at my grandparents seaside house in the summer. I woke up one morning and went to brush my teeth to find my grandfather shaving in the bathroom. This was not a strange thing to me as I always watched my father shave and found it fascinating. The one thing that struck me was that my grandfather was using a brush and mug What is this weird tool he is using? What is its purpose? I asked him about this and said my father uses a can like people on the TV and his reply was something along the lines of "I prefer to use my brush and mug, I like the lather." I was only 3/4 years old at the time but that started an obsession that I keep to this day! Its funny though because he still uses this exact brush and mug and I am now 22!
    But my point (I know it took a while!) was that this image in my mind will always be my enduring memory of wetshaving and makes me feel happy. Is there anyone on the board who has a similiar story, or please tell me what would be your one memory of wetshaving?

Cheers for listening and lathering!

Sydney, Australia

thats a fine story, my friend. I remember being on holiday with my father years ago and lathering up my entire face

Durham, NC

My Dad was a brush user, and I can remember sitting watching him shave, and getting the occasional dab of lather on the tip of my nose when he was feeling frisky! Remember it to this day, as well as the scent of Aqua Velva. Since I foind B&B, I've tried the AV again, and it brought him right back into my shave den with me. Isn't shaving great?
    [FONT=arial]John - [/FONT]
    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - [URL=""][COLOR=#004499]become a contributor[/COLOR][/URL] and support B&B!

The Little Apple

The dab of lather on the nose...I thought my dad was the only one who did that!
    When I was about 4, I watched my dad whip up his lather in an Old Spice Mug with an Ever-ready brush. (I posted pics of these on Special Birthday SOTD.) When I started shaving, I HAD to have a brush and mug of my own. I still wet shave after having tried various other things over the years, but at 85, my dad has long ago switched to an electric.

Thanks for starting this thread! I love remembering those days!
    Last edited by TinFish; 09-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    When you get to the fork in the road, take it.
    -Yogi Berra

When I was about 4years old I would go into my grandpas bathroom and fool with his mug and brush(he left his brush in the mug!)
    One day I got my hands on his injector blade dispenser and got cut.
    Nothing real bad but I was bleeding pretty good for a 4 year old.
    I remember my mother sitting on the edge of the tub about to pass out while my grandma took care of the bleeding.

Ahh ,, the good ol days.

St. Charles, Missouri

My dad always used a mug, brush and what I now know is a DE. I enjoyed watching him as a kid especially when he put a blade thru the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet.

Default My memory

is that my father often left a dab of lather in back of his ear(s) after rinsing off. I always thought that was hilarious. Now when I clean up I take an extra swipe there, always thinking about him....