What's new

Skinning myself on the lower neck

Hey everyone.

I've been wet shaving for a while now and I always seem to have this perplexing problem, but I'm not sure if I'm attacking it properly.

I'm using a Muhle R89 with Gillette "Red Package" (?) blades (I think they are made in Poland?) but it also seems to happen with my Derby Extra blades as well.

Basically, I don't do any preshave prep other than taking a shower beforehand and then washing my beard with shampoo so that it's soft.

I lather up using Williams shaving soap, then I add a dab of Nivea Shaving cream so that it lathers up thick, otherwise the lather is too thin otherwise.
(I bought some other shaving soaps so I'll see if those make any difference)

Here's the issue:

My sideburns are nearly BBS but not quite. My chin and moustache area are always completely BBS. However, my lower neck still has stubble.

So, usually I do a downwards shave first, then my second pass involves doing an upwards shave second. Usually that's good enough.

I don't usually have any issues if I just do the above, except that I still have stubble on my neck.

The problem is that the stubble on my neck has a grain that goes left to right, so I try doing a right to left pass to go against the stubble and usually end up skinning myself in my neck area.

The maddening part is, my neck still has stubble, even after! I've used a very light touch.

I've found that buying an Alum block pretty much stops all of the bleeding right away and afterwards I can't even tell that I cut myself, except that there are red blotches in the areas that bled.

So, I know I must be doing something wrong.

I'm wondering a few things:

1. Should I try using a different razor? Maybe an adjustable?
2. I have bought a tube of Proraso Shaving Cream and some Col. Clonk (?) shaving soaps. Will those help?

One thing I should mention...

When I do my first downwards pass, I found that I can actually apply light pressure (I know I know.. I'm not supposed to) and I rarely ever cut or nick myself. On the second upwards pass, I can use light pressure on my sideburns and chin, but I have to be carefull with my moustache area.

My neck on the other hand, if I use any kind of pressure at all (I know, I know.. I'm not supposed to) then yeah, I'll skin myself on an upwards pass.

On a right to left pass, no matter how lightly I hold the razor or apply it against my skin, it always skins me there. So, I'm a little perplexed.

Oh, just to let all of you know, I usually replace the blade after about six shaves wether it needs it or not. If anything, using a sharp blade makes it worse.

So, maybe you guys have some tips?

Maybe I should consider buying a Merkur Vision/Progress/Futur? Set it to full blast (meat slicer mode?) on the first downwards pass, then setting it to the most mild setting on the third pass? Ideas?

This is an issue I have been having predominantly with Derby blades (I didnt get it with the red personnas very often) and havent sorted it out fully yet but I've found that doing my whole face in one direction before the next was not helping.

It sounds like my hair grows similarly to yours and I find my first pass on my cheeks is best down (wtg) and then up on the bottom half of my neck (wtg mostly but kind of xtg too.... sort of changes direction) and then I do the curve of my jaw downwards again (wtg).

Some of the guides I read (not sure which in particular) stressed finding out what direction your hair grows and adjusting to that and I think it is probably good advice.

I'll be watching this thread intently as I havent managed to consistently get good shaves on my neck (ie close and not sore) but I hope what I've just said is of some assistance.

As for me, I'm probably not stretching it enough but i have been very careful about pressure. :p I'll try it tomorrow morning.

As for me, I'm probably not stretching it enough but i have been very careful about pressure. :p I'll try it tomorrow morning.

Don't stretch your skin too much. A little bit will allow the blade to glide more easily, and too much can lead to irritation.

With a DE, you want to stretch your skin a little to none at all. I don't stretch.

You just need to learn how your beard grows in (which you have a good idea of already) and how to attack it!

With the grain, Across the grain, Against the grain.

Continue with no pressure on the razor. Just let it glide over your skin with only the weight of the razor head resting against you.

I think the big problem here is your soap. Wait till you get in your proraso cream... and once you get the hang of lathering you will see the world of difference.

Watch Mantic59's videos on Youtube if you have not. He explains everything in detail and shows you how to do it.

I would not suggest buying another razor, or changing blades. just stick with proraso cream for a month and really get good with using what you have now. Only modify your technique as you learn. To many variables, like equipment, will hinder anyones learning. Having said that, get yourself a blade sampler pack from someplace like West Coast Shaving. Any price point is a good sampler to get. This will give you a good idea in what you are looking for. Perhaps those razor blades are just not for you. But don't go switching blades every shave. Try to keep the amount of variables as low as possible.

Edit:Reading up on the razor you have chosen, It seems like it is a very aggressive, open comb razor. Perhaps starting off with a Gillette Knack, or a 3 piece ball end Tech would be a better idea.

I have a very densely packed, thick haired, steel wire like beard. I can shave with a Merkur Futur at 6.5 no problem. And with proper technique I can get just as close of a shave from a Knack or my Tech. It is all about making proper beard reduction passes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom