What's new

Why wasnt the Barber using a Brush? William Byrd Barber Shop

Oh LOOOL ! Let me rectify ... damnnn laptop needs a smack on its Cache..

Try it again ..should now show the barbershave..

Some day I'll get me a shave in a barbershop.

It must be a funny experience.

No one has ever shaved me but me! :biggrin:

He was using a lather machine, thus no brush.

Seems to be a modernized straight shave....still looked like he done pretty well....didn't see any styptic applications, that's a good start. :001_tongu

Honestly, he looked pretty much like he knew what he was doing. Latherkings are pretty common, yes? and have been around for a while. Makes it a lot faster for a barber not to have to whip up lather with a brush every time he needs some. Besides health regs on that stuff.

I've never heard of hot towels AFTER the shave? And maybe he had cold water on the cleanup towel. I doubt most barbers take you over to a sink to splash your face. He did apply aftershave, at any rate. I'm not sure it even looks so modern. It was a STRAIGHT at least, not a M3.

I thought the video was pretty well done, as well, btw.

-Mo

Hey a video of the location (and of my straight razor barber) of the first annual Virginia Gents Shave Day where I've had many a straight shave. Only myself and Robrev were there to get one but at least we both showed up.

Now, I gotta find the maker of that video and have him join our little club.

He was using a lather machine, thus no brush.

Seems to be a modernized straight shave....still looked like he done pretty well....didn't see any styptic applications, that's a good start. :001_tongu

Missed that, sneaky cheeks but makes sense fresh WARM lather instantly out of the machine I just like the feeling of a brush over hands.

About the hot towel after the shave ive seen on the Lynn dvd which I dont agree with 100% cold water closes the pores better but Lynn did apply aftershave to disinfect/close pores? still I did the same as him a hot towel after the shave then cold water then aftershave its just extra pampering thats all.

I have also seen it on the W.C Field small clips DVD. a Hilarious episode where he pretends to be the Barber the hot towels are really HOT ! more like burning your face .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.C._Fields

He didn't give the best shave, I can do better with my straight, but in the video, he applied lather twice, on me the first time, he wrapped a towel on top of the lather, then put another layer on.

He also used a shavette and not a traditional straight.

How did you find this anyway?

A little more bit of information. Most of his clients live in the condo that bears the name of the barber shop as he is located in their building. Mostly retired people live there and some of the older guys come down to the shop 2 or 3 times a week for a straight razor shave. So he gets plenty enough practice doing a few shaves per day.

Top Bottom