What's new

Pasteurs in NYC: a terrible experience

I was in nyc this past weekend and was excited to pop into pasteurs on 34th st with a friend of mine. we're both relatively new to places like this and were pretty excited with all that the tiny store offered. Having recently used the Speick shave stick i was wanting to get the aftershave splash because i love the way it smells. i saw the sample bottle they had, made sure it was what i wanted, grabbed the box and headed to the counter. (my friend who'd smelled it for the first time was hooked as well and grabbed a box also)
When i got home i realized that the box behind the sample of the splash was actually the balm. I was a bit annoyed, but it was my fault for not double checking before i purchased it.

I made a point to stop at their location on Lex on my way out of the city on monday to do a simple exchange for the splash. I was confused when i found the box of the splash on the shelf and it read "34.95" as opposed to the 16 or 17.95 i paid for the balm at the other location. I asked to speak with a manager who walked out to the shelf with me. I asked if there was any variance in pricing between his store and the other and he said that sometimes there was a minimal difference. I then noticed that they were selling the exact same balm i was wanting to exchange, and had paid $17 for just one day and 30 some odd blocks away in the same city, for $35! When i pointed this out he just silently stared at the box on the shelf, holding my box up against it, turning it around a few times to make sure it was the same.
after an awkward silence i explained my rationale that prices in midtown were the same for the two items, prices in his store were the same for the two items, so please make it an even exchange. He said that the store in midtown "must have made a mistake" , that i "lucked out" and that he'd "never seen this (the splash) at that price, ever" effectively making me feel like a shmuck.

he said all he could offer was an exchange with me paying the difference. figuring that i can't get speick anywhere in my town (boston) and that pastuers is normally lauded as having prices that are fairly comparable to whats found online i swallowed my pride and payed the difference.

Now i love this stuff, but i just went on to westcoastshaving to find the two items splash (lotion) and the balm for nearly the same price. ($15!!!) whats worse is nearly every other merchant offers the two for nearly the same price.

I am now pissed because its obvious i was blatantly ripped off by the manager at pasteurs on lexington. (want to guess how much he'll restock my return out on his shelf for?)

sure, i could have refused to buy it, but the fact he said he'd never seen it at such a low price really was a dishonest statement on his part. (i'm new to the stuff, but they've been selling it for how long at this point??) i foolishly believed all the wonderful things i'd heard about them to be true so i trusted what he said. stupid me. lesson learned and i will never shop there again, caveat emptor, end rant

Last edited:
Your logic about the two products being priced the same at both stores was impeccable. Given that fact, even if you had been mistakenly charged a low price at the other store the guy should have given you an even exchange.

Think about it. If it WAS a mistake, it wasn't YOU that made said mistake. It was an employee of the other store.

This guy you dealt with did the wrong thing, for sure. Even if it had been a mistake he should have eaten the loss of a few bucks to make a customer happy. Sheesh.

You sir have given us another fine example of the lack of Customer service that exist in way too many Brick an Morter businesses these days.:mad: I grew up with extended family in Retail and the matra was " The Customer is ALWAYS Right." :cool:

If I were you I would just mark that store off my list.

Raoul --- I paid $16.95 for a bottle of Speick AS splash at the 34th Pasteur's a few months ago as well. Someone at one of those stores is goofing up big time and you got stuck for it. Sorry to hear that.

that's really a shame. i had a fine experience there. i was left alone near the shave stuff for like 15 minutes looking and smelling. it wouldn't surprise me to find the prices higher on lex ave then on 34th st though!

you might want to try cambridge chemists as well. located here 855 Lexington Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10065 so just walk down lex ave.

I appreciate the replies, at least i know I'm not completely crazy.
i understand that the lexington ave store could be a little more expensive because of the neighborhood, but this was literally double the price. thats just messed up.

Welcome to B&B.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Customer service in a B&M store is almost obsolete these days. Thankfully, we have some excellent online vendors in our little niche.

BTW-Love the nick!

Call them up and ask what the price is. If you overpaid, let them know. I have never been there, but I don't know if I would so quick to write off one of the few brick-and-mortar stores in the US that carries a large supply of wetshaving supplies.

Raoul, welcome to B&B.
I have been to Pasteur's on Lex a few times and made a few purchases there myself. They are, in my opinion, among the worst in customer service. Just downright rude sometimes and plainly ignorant at other times. Just a few blocks away on Lex, there is Cambridge Chemisits. The service I get there is night and day in comparison. I am sorry that you got rooked this way. Thanks for letting us know about that experience though. Some folks might differ about the level of service that they receive at Pasteur's, but I have to stand by my personal experience.

Thats the best way to describe it, downright rude. the manager made no apologies, he just put the two boxes on the counter, said "he pays the difference" to the cashier and then turned his back to me. no, "have a nice day", nothing.

I just called the 34st store and sure enough, they are selling it for 15.95.
is there some kind of @sshole tax for shopping on the upper east side?

the fact is the UES store is selling it for double the price, so even if i call back and tell them this its likely they won't budge. Cambridge will certainly get my business from now on.

Thats the best way to describe it, downright rude. the manager made no apologies, he just put the two boxes on the counter, said "he pays the difference" to the cashier and then turned his back to me. no, "have a nice day", nothing.

I just called the 34st store and sure enough, they are selling it for 15.95.
is there some kind of @sshole tax for shopping on the upper east side?

the fact is the UES store is selling it for double the price, so even if i call back and tell them this its likely they won't budge. Cambridge will certainly get my business from now on.

When you are next in town and go to Cambridge Chemists, be sure and mention that you are a B&B member for your 10% discount.

I am very surprised, I once returned at the 34th store without a receipt a TOBS shaving stick that would not work. They exchanged it without a problem. I think the mgr is Steve and I have spoken to him a few times and he was very helpful. He even offed my friends 10% of razors when I mentioned B&B. I would give him a call and I'm sure he will rectify the error.

I am very surprised, I once returned at the 34th store without a receipt a TOBS shaving stick that would not work. They exchanged it without a problem. I think the mgr is Steve and I have spoken to him a few times and he was very helpful. He even offed my friends 10% of razors when I mentioned B&B. I would give him a call and I'm sure he will rectify the error.

You should give him a call. I would think they would be very interested to know how their service is being received on one of the most active wet shaving forums.:a6: If the only consequence was to initiate a staff meeting regarding customer service and franchise reciprocity it would save the relationships with the patrons they have left.

I am sorry to hear of your experience at Pasteur's which is truly an aberration from mine and that of other devotees of the 34th street store. I can only surmise that you were unlucky enough to walk in on a rare day when neither of the owners, Steve or Leon, was on hand. They have been so responsive to the New York wet shaving community, making it a point to encourage customers to touch and smell products, shelving open bottles of their most expensive items as samples and, of course, allowing exchanges in situations such as you describe. I suggest you call Steve or Leon directly; tell them what happened; and further tell them that you were encouraged to do so by a loyal customer of theirs who heard about your saga on Badger and Blade. I will be surprised if they do not make you a satisfied customer.

Top Bottom