What's new

City life, education and life. Advice, please.

Hi

I'm a 20 year old Norweigian, and I grew up out on a farm in the country, next to a small town. Agriculture isn't my cup of tea, and thankfully my dad never forced it on me. I like the country life. No stress, plenty of space, both in and outdoors.

Last year I was done with highschool, with good grades. Went to study at a big university. 200km away, in a big city - Trondheim. (Well, big enough for me. ) I'm studying physics. It's interesting. Due to the flexibility offered by the uni there's no obligatory attendance, and I can pick subjects freely, from math to greek history.

I live in a tiny apartment, all by myself. Pricey, but having a parking lot and no roommates costs alot. I have enough money left to live after I pay the rent.

The city life is not for me. Now, after a year I can safely say I don't want it permanently. I'll endure it, for knowledge's sake. I miss my home. I usually end up going home once a week.

It's the small things about city life I can't stand. Like having to walk 2-300m to get to my car. Living in a small apartment. Being forced to either walk or take the bus to get downtown or to attend class. (Cars work fine as long as you can park somewhere, and there's no parking I can afford downtown or near campus.) Not being able to have pets in my apartment(got a lovely cat and a devoted dog at home.) I miss the silent nights back home. Heck, I don't really like people. There's people everywhere in the city.

I'm determined to graduate. The problem is that I'm forcing myself into a lifestyle I don't want, for no long-term benefit except knowledge. Studying physics won't give me a worthwhile job at home, and I won't move to find work. I like it too much at home.

I'm unsure about the future. I'm thinking about becoming a driving teacher. It's a short 2-year education, with guaranteed jobs - even at home. Next year I'm old enough to apply for that education, and I know if I want to I'll get in without a problem.

I can jump on that education, and still carry on the physics degree part-time.

I'm just very unsure on what to do. I don't like it at all in the city. It's a necessity for higher education, unless I go to the college in the town next to my home - and I really do not want to become a nurse or a pharmasist, which is all they offer.

Since I study out of interest, not to get a perfect job I'm happy with low grades. I'm hovering between D and E for grades. I'm not motivated enough to put in the effort to get perfect grades;

Any advice?

First, I just need to say that I love that you call Trondheim a big city. =) Second, I definitely sympathise with your plight. I've done somewhat the opposite (born in Toronto, also lived in London. Spent the last two years living in a 'small town' of 130,000 (St Catharines) and am now is a town of 3,000, that just got it's first four-way stop!)

There are definitely opportunities in small towns - not just farming. A driving instructor is a possibility, if you think that will make you happy. You can also do courses online while living in a small town (I know the Open University is open to all Europeans, which I think includes non-EU countries).

I would caution you on one point though - your grades. I know it may seem like they don't matter now, but it's possible that 5, 10, 20 years in the future, you'll decide you want to do an advanced degree - grades will be important for that. Try as hard as you can, even if you don't think you'll need it.

Good luck!

Hi

I'm a 20 year old Norweigian, and I grew up out on a farm in the country, next to a small town. Agriculture isn't my cup of tea, and thankfully my dad never forced it on me. I like the country life. No stress, plenty of space, both in and outdoors.

Last year I was done with highschool, with good grades. Went to study at a big university. 200km away, in a big city - Trondheim. (Well, big enough for me. ) I'm studying physics. It's interesting. Due to the flexibility offered by the uni there's no obligatory attendance, and I can pick subjects freely, from math to greek history.

I live in a tiny apartment, all by myself. Pricey, but having a parking lot and no roommates costs alot. I have enough money left to live after I pay the rent.

The city life is not for me. Now, after a year I can safely say I don't want it permanently. I'll endure it, for knowledge's sake. I miss my home. I usually end up going home once a week.

It's the small things about city life I can't stand. Like having to walk 2-300m to get to my car. Living in a small apartment. Being forced to either walk or take the bus to get downtown or to attend class. (Cars work fine as long as you can park somewhere, and there's no parking I can afford downtown or near campus.) Not being able to have pets in my apartment(got a lovely cat and a devoted dog at home.) I miss the silent nights back home. Heck, I don't really like people. There's people everywhere in the city.

I'm determined to graduate. The problem is that I'm forcing myself into a lifestyle I don't want, for no long-term benefit except knowledge. Studying physics won't give me a worthwhile job at home, and I won't move to find work. I like it too much at home.

I'm unsure about the future. I'm thinking about becoming a driving teacher. It's a short 2-year education, with guaranteed jobs - even at home. Next year I'm old enough to apply for that education, and I know if I want to I'll get in without a problem.

I can jump on that education, and still carry on the physics degree part-time.

I'm just very unsure on what to do. I don't like it at all in the city. It's a necessity for higher education, unless I go to the college in the town next to my home - and I really do not want to become a nurse or a pharmasist, which is all they offer.

Since I study out of interest, not to get a perfect job I'm happy with low grades. I'm hovering between D and E for grades. I'm not motivated enough to put in the effort to get perfect grades;

Any advice?

Military? Give yourself some time to sort things out. I have no military experience (beyond ROTC) but pretty much everyone I know who does have military experience seems to have his head screwed on right!

you could always move back home and do a degree distance. Most uni's these days offer some kind of distance edu program where you work from home, and only have to go in every couple of weeks

I wonder how many young men and women would make great sacrifices and exert themselves vigorously to their studies given this opportunity.

Sad though it is, keep in mind that the benefit of a college degree may well lie more in ownership of the degree itself than in the knowledge you've gained while in college. In other words, not having the degree may prove a hindrance to career advancement in whatever career you choose.

I'm with you on preferring the country to the city, though. In my case, time spent gaining education in cities has led to a teaching job in a more rural area. May you be as fortunate, no matter the career path you choose.

The driving instruction education appeals to me for several reasons; most importantly it's targeted and guarantees me a job. (In avereage there's 3 jobs waiting for every student who graduates.)

Other than that:
Flexibility. Both in what kinds of jobs I can get and how much I work.
Since basic trafic education is slowly making it's way into schools the trafic teacher education has enough pedagogy to let me teach in highschools. (Even math & physics if I finish my bachelor degree in physics)
I can get work everywhere; there's demand in any norweigian city.
The pay is decent, and it's not a boring office job.

Parataxis: I'm not up to getting perfect grades; no matter how hard I try I can't do it. I'm bad at taking exams, and I know I won't be interested in a more advanced degree later on. I don't find special-isation(stupid spam filter) interesting, I want to know much about everything, not everything about a single field.

Curiously enough farming isn't an option anymore in Norway; there's no money in it, so farmers are forced to work elsewhere to get decent pay. Norweigian farmers can't compete with farmers in low-cost countries. Our farm is currently being repurposed to a stable.

Robert Paulsen: The military isn't an option; I was judged unfit for service in times of peace. My eyesight isn't up for it and they'd just put me behind a desk. I know I wouldn't like the military life anyway. I like my space, and I don't play well along with others for extended periods of time.

mdunn: I can continue my degree from home if I wish that, I just have to go down to Trondheim every now&then to drop off a few papers, and take exams at the end of each semester.

Jim: In Norway, just about anyone who've pasesd highschool can get the same opportunity I got. Lånekassen, a governement-funded scholarship/student loan-program gives everyone the financial means to pursue any education. Here there's an opportunity for everyone, and that fact means that me not fully devoting myself to my studies doesn't harm anyone else but me.

Already now after just a few replies I see that I've found the right place to ask for advice. There's perspective to be had here. Thanks.

Just a thought here, what do you really like to do? Is there anything you are passionate about? Your discovering what you don't like and making some decisions about what you do like. Sorry the Military isn't an option. The decisions you are making at this point in your life are simply setting up the playing field for your future. Theres gonna be things that work out and things that won't. No matter keep discovering what you like and don't like. THEN decide what you want, what your willing to give up to get it, DO IT.
I'd say good luck but you won't need it if you can find something you like to do.

If you really are interested in physics, take advantage of this chance while you are young enough to do so. Doesn't mean you have to be a physicist. Get your degree and move back home and become a science teacher. Maybe you'll carry back the spark that will send another young boy or girl off to become a physicist. You can use the knowledge that you gain to help out other ways in your community. Maybe you can help push for new technologies that will make life easier to live back there.

If you feel passionate about driver's education, follow that up.

If you're just homesick and looking for the easiest way back, I don't know what to say. You have to do what you feel is best. Personally, I think that sometimes you have to endure some hardship in order to grow and to achieve something. But if you already have what you want, you might as well go home and enjoy it. History and literature are full of stories of people who left home to see the world, but mostly they're read by the people who stayed home. Think about what it is that you want and do it. If it doesn't work out they way you expect, maybe you can try again.

My driving instructor was a part time absolutely horrible commedian, that was rough. There's something very cool about the thought of a driving instructor with a degree in physics, almost sounds like it could be the premise of a novel, or at least a bad sitcom.

I'm 26 now and just going back to school for software development, something that actually interests me. I didn't take school seriously before, and never finished a degree, but partly I think it was because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Now after years of working in a job that I have no passion for I'm taking the steps towards doing something that actually interests me (first day of classes is tonight!). If you can figure out what you want early; go do it.

I'm not too familiar with Norway but I imagine that you've got something inbetween urban life and country life, perhaps you can find a school somewhere in the suburbs that offers something that interests you, or just find a place to live more outside of the city and commute to school if that's an option.

Good luck with whatever you do.

I know where you're coming from. I grew up in a similar lifestyle, did the college thing and now I do IT for a small company in Anchorage (300k pop).

I still don't like the city and it's been 8 years since I moved here. There's cars and people and asphault everywhere. I'm working towards my pilots license now, to become a bush pilot since computers are not for me anymore.

I can't really offer any advice except it's a decision you need to make. If you continue your education it gives you more options in the end. I would recommend against commuting, I did that for my first year of college (100mi./day) and it was horrible.

I would encourage you to finish your degree in physics, weather or not you decide to pursue a career in that field. In the US most people with a physics degree who like physics usually teach at a college. Otherwise a physics degree will get you into almost any technical field, even if it's 15 years later when you decide to make use of your degree.

If you like working outdoors a geology background (minor or dual major) can get you a job as a site inspector, or a lead in oil exploration, or monitoring seismic activity etc.

There are so many choices.
By the time I was 23 I knew I did not want to do factory work, farm, or remain in the Army. Knowing what you don't want is important, but as time passes, choices are made, and obligations shouldered we begin to see opportunities narrow rather like a tunnel with a decreasing diameter, until we awake one morning and find ourselves stuck.
I'm afraid I see returning home as a driving instructor as self-limiting.
The first thing I came to understand as a young man was that I could not, or would not, go home again.
The second thing was that I was the only thing standing in my way. I had to change.
No one can answer for you, but there have to be opportunities in smaller communities that you can enjoy. Your task is to discover what they may be and how to prepare.

I don't presume to know what will make you happy, but what I do know is that you are not doing well in physics because it holds little real interest for you. Although I am of the opinion that you should continue your degree, one thing you may wish to pursue is something like biology, geology, seismology, zoology something which will place you in the natural world. Physicists generally speaking spend a lot of their time indoors, either hooked up to computer terminals interpreting telescope data, particle accelerator data, or working on math-based theories/models. Not that there is anything wrong with those things, but for someone who seems so tied to the rural lifestyle, it seems a little disconnected with your interests. Try to unite your enjoyment of the natural world with your apparent interest in science: discover the natural sciences. See if you would find them interesting. I imagine that you could find a great many ways to be a biologist and not live anywhere near a city.

I have a clear goal, I just want a steady income that lets me live comfortably at home; without much stress. Comfortable as in being able to build myself a house in a reasonable timeframe(say 10 years.)

I've struggled all my life so far; went beyond anyone's expectations for me, and I'm thinking it's time to stop soon. There's no carrot dangling in front of me anymore, I know if I had a reason to, I could do anything. Struggling without a goal at the end is quite meaningless.

I'm thinking of maybe putting the physics degree on hold, get the driving teacher education and finish my physics degree afterwards, studying and working part-time. I'm free to do so at my university, and in a way it would make sense. I'd stop living off loaned money sooner. I'd get to enjoy the higher pay of working in a city and better wages when I do move back home due to experience.

I'm interested in a lot of things, and I've always struggled with the choice between the theoretical and the practical. It's not that I don't like physics; I do. It's just that I'm not going the last mile to perfection, there's no real payoff in doing so for me, and thus I don't. I know it's the right kind of science for me. I'm not sure science is the thing for me, but it's interesting.

I won't give up on the physics degree, I'm too stubborn to do that. I'll get it one way or another.

I've struggled all my life so far; went beyond anyone's expectations for me, and I'm thinking it's time to stop soon.

Wow, look, I hope I don't presume too much here, but a youngster who is JUST starting out it life, who has only just begun a degree at uni to have an attitude of "well, now I will just roll downhill, i've earned it" is a little premature in my opinion. No, I am not advocating doggedly pursuing something that makes you miserable, but you have (most likely) 5/7 of your life AHEAD of you.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, I being an American approach work with a little different mindset (I don't mean that as a slight to others who perceive work differently, only to couch my perception of your circumstances). Being so young, if I were you, I would not be so quick to put the car in neutral and let it coast to a stop. The world holds many, many experiences for you yet.

Stick with it. A degree in physics will open up more doors for you than your small town can. Get the degree and get a nice job. There are millions of people who would kill to be in your situation.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it. I wish you well.

A nice job means having to continue the city life for a looong time. I'm not interested in that. Heck, without perfect grades I can't get a good job with a physics degree either.

Higher education does not pay well in Norway. No matter what profession I chose I'll be paid enough to live comfortably.

What use is a open door if I'll never be able to walk through it?

I'm a minimalist. I already have all the material goods I need. If I could I'd travel to asia and join a buddist monastery. I'm too bound to my home for that.

I know the small-town life is right for me. I can't stand people. I can't stand the mentality of city-people. I basicly want to live secluded from the world.

There's two things in life I enjoy. Alcohol and being on the road.

I know the small-town life is right for me. I can't stand people. I can't stand the mentality of city-people. I basicly want to live secluded from the world.

There's two things in life I enjoy. Alcohol and being on the road.

...while staying at home. :smile:

You sound depressed. Have you any close friends to talk to about this? How is your relationship with your parents? Do you discuss this with them?

While I may be viewing this through the wrong cultural filter, I'd hate to see you close off opportunities that will not open again very easily.

- Chris

Last edited:
I'm recovering from a pretty severe depression, yes. Did get help for that.

Lost my only close friend a while back. She's struggling with her own problems, and our problems interacted in bad ways.

My relationship with my parents is fine. They will support me no matter what I do. They're happy I've made it so far. Haven't discussed it with them; but they know that I like it at home.

I'm not closing any doors in the foreseable future. If I put my physics degree on hold I can return at any point in the future.

It's nice that you posted on here to talk about your ideas. But honestly, this is not the best place to look for help about your future plans. If you have a good relationship with your folks, talk with them. Maybe sit down with whoever has been helping with what you've been working through. You're talking about some big decisions, and you should make sure that you've got all of the terms straight. Like I said, in the end you have to do what you think is right. You have a long life ahead of you--do what you can to make the most of it. Just make sure that your decision is about heading toward something, not away from something. Good luck--keep us posted about what you do.

Top Bottom