What's new

Anyone care to defend Cuba?

I got a sample of C&S Cuba today, and sprayed a shot on the back of my hand. Woe! I finally found something that smells "very bad" to me. I think the application directions should be:

1 - Hold the bottle in front of you at arms length
2 - Point the spray away from you
3 - Spray once
4 - Take one step back
5 - Carefully turn around and walk away!

This stuff is "coyote stinky" - I'm considering cutting my hand off before it goes away!

Okay, maybe it was what I sprayed it on top of, so I'll give it another chance... eventually... carefully.

:cool:

I got the entire catalog of C&S scents, and this one is a stinker for me.

The whole "Cuba" rum and cigars thing feels gimmicky to me, anyway.

I like the smell of a good cigar, but this initially smelled more like the used ashtray. It's getting better/more tolerable in the drydown. At least my hand is safe.

You may want to wait for cooler weather to make a final decision on it, I wear it and have many compliments and inquiries about it.
Give it some time to settle.

I got a sample of C&S Cuba today, and sprayed a shot on the back of my hand. Woe! I finally found something that smells "very bad" to me. I think the application directions should be:

1 - Hold the bottle in front of you at arms length
2 - Point the spray away from you
3 - Spray once
4 - Take one step back
5 - Carefully turn around and walk away!

This stuff is "coyote stinky" - I'm considering cutting my hand off before it goes away!

Okay, maybe it was what I sprayed it on top of, so I'll give it another chance... eventually... carefully.

It is probably Fidel's smell :biggrin:

S

Sam

I thought the same thing last year. Then got the sample back and well Cuba and Neroli and Citrus Paridisi, in that order, work the best for me. Id love to trade for a bottle of this.

I thought the same thing last year. Then got the sample back and well Cuba and Neroli and Citrus Paridisi, in that order, work the best for me. Id love to trade for a bottle of this.

If I had a bottle of Cuba, I'd trade it for a bottle of #88 in a heartbeat! But I am going to give the Cuba another chance. The drydown has gotten better, so I think I need to give it a chance to show it's "true colors" by starting with it first thing in the morning, without laying in on top of something else - I used Tabac Cologne this morning, and there was surely a bit left when I sprayed the Cuba.

Or this one

proxy.php

I'm kind of middle-of-the-road about Cuba. I certainly didn't find it offensive, but its not something I'd buy. I'd say your reaction is one of two things:
1. Perhaps Cuba contains something totally new to you and your nose said "whoa"
2. Perhaps one of its components is something you simply can't stand.

For me, the smell of vinegar is something I dislike. Just a whiff of it, or something that reminds me of it, and I'm turned off. This happened with Thierry Mugler EdT which is a popular scent. I continually read or hear references to the fact that scent memories are one of the most powerful memory cues. Scents that we associate with negative experiences can subconsciously trigger those memories and invoke a negative response. A personal example is the scent of spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves) instantly bring memories of my grandmother.

If I had a bottle of Cuba, I'd trade it for a bottle of #88 in a heartbeat! But I am going to give the Cuba another chance. The drydown has gotten better, so I think I need to give it a chance to show it's "true colors" by starting with it first thing in the morning, without laying in on top of something else - I used Tabac Cologne this morning, and there was surely a bit left when I sprayed the Cuba.

I got a sample size and was initially repulsed by the scent, but after it began to settle, I began to like it. My wife even liked it or more accurately said it was OK. I had an even better response after the second application. So I am on the fence. I may just get a decant to try it again when the colder weather comes.

Top Bottom