What's new

Brush renovation

I recently picked up a used brush as a local flea market. It is badger, but the hair is all beat up, I really bought this as a renovation project. It has a clear plastic (leucite) handle attached to a rubber part that holds the knot. What is the best way to dig that old knot out of a rubber handle?

Please excuse me if there is a subforum devoted to brush renovation.

I almost bought a similar brush at an antique mall last week, but wasn't sure how it would go with a lucite handle (I didn't see the brand name on it). I'm interested in how this goes, so keep us posted.

There is a lot of useful information in this thread. Looking for a cheap alternative to a high priced brush, I just broke down a Van der Hagen from Wal Mart. I'm sure things are easier (and safer!!) with real equipment like a vise, lathe, or drill press, but I did just fine with a hand drill and a variety of knives and chisels. Some people boil the handles, and I tried that, but it definitely (negatively) affected the surface finish on one, and the color (and removed the writing) on another. Good luck!!

Thanks, Joto. I'm just wondering how I can drill out a clear handle without scratching it up too much. I guess that's where that whole "be careful" thing comes into play :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I would suggest that you never drill out the bristles of a clear handle. I used HOT water soak and then torque out the knot by hand or by pliers.

Thanks, Joto. I'm just wondering how I can drill out a clear handle without scratching it up too much. I guess that's where that whole "be careful" thing comes into play :tongue_sm

Man... I'm not sure what to tell you... other than good luck!!

One alternative that occurs to me would be to get the hair out with the plan to sand and polish out any marks you make, but that would be well beyond my personal skill level.

Top Bottom