What's new

How can anyone go against the grain?

So this is only my 4th shave with a straight and I tried an against the grain pass and it was really hard on my face lots of irritation but no cuts. I got my razor from Leighton and I've been careful to strop so I know it's sharp (unless my stropping has been ruining the edge). I can go with the grain just fine but ATG, it just wouldn't cut through the hair without pushing hard. The right side of my neck seemed to work better (less irritation but less close) than the right side. Everyone in the youtube videos I've seen do two passes one with and one against and a couple also do one across. Does it really take that much more force to go against and I'm just not used to it or am I doing something wrong?

Don't force it. Don't use pressure. You want to do just the opposite. It'll come in time. A long, long, long time it'll seem like. For now, just do what you can, and try a little something new every day, but don't get too adventurous all at once. Did I mention how it can take a long, long, long time to learn?

I cannot go directly from WTG to ATG. I recommend that you do an XTG pass first. Also, the angle of the razor should be extremely flat, almost touching the face. Use absolutely NO pressure and go SLOW. Also, in general two very light passes with a flat angle and no pressure are always better than one pass with a higher angle and/or pressure.

Apparently, Leighton's razors are too sharp for beginners.

You all should send it out to Lynn and get a beginner edge put on it. Not quite so sharp.:tongue_sm

As for ATG, don't even try it till you have a dozen or so shaves WTG and possibly XTG, under your belt.

When you can get a consistent shave that way, move on, slowly to ATG.
and whatever angle you use for the WTG/XTG passes, cut it in half or more for the ATG.:wink:

Thanks fellas maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself. It's hard to go from great de shaves to adequate straight shaves.

I've been going ATG for a week or so. Once the blade is sharp enough and I work in a shallow angle, it's fine. At first I felt like my beard stops the blade from moving but honing and stropping made the difference together with technique. You might want to move slightly to the side as you go forward slowly. That may help you cut better.

Make sure to do good beard prep, and stretch the skin well when you do the ATG passes.
I shaved fully with WTG,XTG,ATG on my very first try with a Straight.
You also might be over stropping the razor, do you apply too much pressure on the strop? That can roll the edge an make shaving unpleasant.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Low angle helps heaps. As Dunny pointed out, pratice, take your time.

I seriously doubt that Barbers used straights ATG. in the past.:rolleyes:They were mainly used on a heavy growth to mow it down in one,or at a push,two passes. ATG with a straight,is I believe,an internet thing.:smile:

+1 on the scything / guillotining when you come to ATG passes. (Much easier to cut)

+1 to not doing everything at once - takes time getting used to the whole thing.

+1 to keeping it unforced.

Restraint is the big challenge for me- I'll have just one more go at that tricky bit... oops too much, there's some razor burn / nick / cut!

And we don't always have to go for BBS!

All the best,
Michael

I seriously doubt that Barbers used straights ATG. in the past.:rolleyes:They were mainly used on a heavy growth to mow it down in one,or at a push,two passes. ATG with a straight,is I believe,an internet thing.:smile:

I agree with this.

I reckon 'close enough' and 'you'll do' have been the order of the day for much longer than BBS.

I don't knock myself out trying to get smoother skin than a woman. I am man, strong, like bull!

I agree with this.

I reckon 'close enough' and 'you'll do' have been the order of the day for much longer than BBS.

I don't knock myself out trying to get smoother skin than a woman. I am man, strong, like bull!

It is true that barbers were taught not to shave ATG but this was because they didn't always know how their customers' faces would react.

Men who shaved themselves have always gone ATG. I did when I first started shaving with a straight in 1980.

If you're not interested in BBS, why shave with a straight?

Oh, and yes, we did have a life before the Internet.

No matter what the razor, I've never been able to go ATG without immediate irritation followed by ingrowns.

Go across the grain second pass.

Straights are not easy - thats what caused safety razors to steal the shaving market.

BBS is possible with good prep, good lather and even better technique. It will take some time before it happens, and about that long again before BBS is an everyday thing.

Just like any worthwhile skill theres a learning curve

If you're not interested in BBS, why shave with a straight?

That is a strange question.

You imply that the ONLY reason for shaving with a straight razor is to get a BBS shave.

If I wanted a BBS shave I would whip a Gillette Fusion round my face.

Shaving is just another step in my morning ablutions which happens to be made more interesting by the wide variety of tools at my disposal.

BBS doesn't even enter my head.

Top Bottom