What's new

hiding safety razor purchases from the missus

Does she show you her new shoes or clothes when she's been shopping?

yes, she does. she's fairly tight with money so she frequents thrift stores quite a bit. i'd say the amount she spends on stuff far exceeds the amount I spend on shaving goods.

R

rainman

My wife pretends like everything is fine when a new razor shows up although I know otherwise. I think that she pretends to be cool with it so I'll be honest with her with the razors I have. I actually have cut down very far now. Down to 2 razors. One for the head, one for the face. I mentioned this to my wife and she replied, "That's this week, things might be different in a week or two".

Jethro1984 is correct.

Anytime the SWMBO starts to whine about any amount of money I spend I simply open the door to her walk in closet. She immediately stops talking.

My wife does seem to understand the razor thing though. It is grooming after all, which is something my wife likes me to do. If not for my shaving addiction I would be a typical poorly groomed dude with messy hair and a wrinkled T-shirt. At least now I am a well groomed, good smelling studmuffin with semi-neat hair and a wrinkled T-shirt.

Women see need vs. want much differently than men. Clothes = need; Guns = want. They can wrap their pretty little heads around Razors = need with some convincing.

The one time she mentioned my getting another razor, I pointed out I was in constant pursuit of the perfect shave, which benefitted her more than me. Ever since I started DE shaving, my face being smoother, she gets less whisker-burn, everyone's happy.

She then pointed out there was another solution to avoiding whisker-burn. But so far she hasn't applied it.

The trick is never keep the razors together. So long as SWMBO can only see one or two, they all look alike to her, and she doesn't really know how many there are. Which is good, because I've managed to accumulate quite a few in a fairly short period of time. The perfect shave, she is a demanding mistress...

I point out that I started wetshaving to save money on those expensive cartridges! Just ignore that man behind the curtin with 20 shave soaps (2 Penhaligons!) and about 150 DE razors!:eek:

im not married yet but my girlfriend sure hates when i spend money on anything lol, though i sold a lot of stuff so she has no idea that most of the money went to more vintage gillettes

1.) Have items shipped to work address.

2.) At home, place shavegear at the back of cabinet shelves, taking care to display her things prominently at the front of the shelves. She'll never have a reason to poke around in back. Shave gear safe and unnoticed.

I don't hide anything from my wife... which doesn't mean I tell her everything, but does mean that we share the financial responsibilities and are open with each other. In the past, I would ask her before I made a purchase, as a courtesy. However, we spent a lot of time working on a household budget and gave ourselves each an allowance with the rule that we don't have to justify how we spend our respective allowances. So long as I don't go over my monthly free spending money, I don't have to tell her what I buy with it. When I need more money I sell a razor or two - I try not to collect, but I do a lot of "sampling." I think having a monthly limit really helps keep spending in line, too.

My wife don't care :biggrin: I get cash from the ATM to buy cokes and ice cream and I hord the change until I have enough to buy some Razors on my Garagesale / Thrift and Junk store haunts. :biggrin: I encourage her to buy all the Beauty Control/ Mary Kay she wants.

Have to admit I'm a little disappointed with this thread so far. Usually by page two someone has at least suggested the use of chloroform as one method to smuggle new items into the shave den. :001_rolle

I have it pretty easy. I just put the new stuff right out in the open on "my shelf". Usually takes her weeks to notice anything new...by then it's too late. Oh that....had it for weeks.. :lol: :smile:

Mine just gets that tight little lip thing and says "OK, keep smoking, I'll be having a sale soon"!!

Wonder what that means:lol::biggrin:

there was a moment a week or so ago when my wife asked something to the effect of "do you really need all three of these old razors?" and i said "you mean six"

and she laughed - and that was pretty much the end of it

so long as i meet my obligations (which i always do) she doesn't pester me about things like this - same deal with other "hobbies" or whatever

The obvious answer has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating.

If your wife is the least bit like mine, she can't tell a Tech from a Fatboy from a Merkur. A razor is a razor. She can tell an injector from a DE, but that's about it.

So, proudly display your razors, to be sure; just substitute the new acquisition for one of the old ones it most closely resembles, and put the old one out of sight. She looks over, sees there are still three razors on display......problem solved.

Every time she looks, there are three razors displayed. There is a rotation going on of which she is blissfully unaware. As long as only three are in sight, all is well in the world.

I'm free and single but one lady at work told me she buys one new pair of shoes each month. (By contrast I bought three pairs of the same shoes about 2 years ago.) Women also seem to have this bizarre handbag acquisition which I swear I will never understand. How many guys say they need a new outfit for a wedding/Christmas party, etc.

I'd say we men have a long way to go before we match the extend of collection stuff that the ladies have.

The obvious answer has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating.

If your wife is the least bit like mine, she can't tell a Tech from a Fatboy from a Merkur. A razor is a razor. She can tell an injector from a DE, but that's about it.

So, proudly display your razors, to be sure; just substitute the new acquisition for one of the old ones it most closely resembles, and put the old one out of sight. She looks over, sees there are still three razors on display......problem solved.

Every time she looks, there are three razors displayed. There is a rotation going on of which she is blissfully unaware. As long as only three are in sight, all is well in the world.

good point. I was cleaning my Gillette Tech at the kitchen table and the wife asked me if it was a new razor. I told her no and that I wanted to rewash some of my razors because I might've been doing it wrong all along. I'll have to go do the ole switcharoo right now :biggrin:

Top Bottom