What's new

First Injector Shave

My first injector shave will be tonight with an Injector L that I got from the B/S/T. I've grown out a little more than 2 days stubble (so a pretty good amount). Trouble is....it's taken me this long to decide to use it because I fear the following:

-If I love the shave....what will become of my beautiful Merkur 38?

-The injector is in such nice shape I almost don't want to shave with it in my hard water conditions.

Aside from having trouble loading the blade....it only went like half way in and I felt like I had to force it by sliding the cartridge off and then back onto the blade, is there anything else I should know about shaving with an injector over a DE?

Finding the blade angle is easy - just place the head flat against your face. Also, I use a little bit of pressure.

I find Gillette Sliding with my Injector more difficult than any other razor. Maybe it's the super-light weight...

Here's what I think:

Injectors are fun and everyone here should try them at least once. They were a pretty unique thing to come along in the shaving world and in many ways were the precursor to modern day cartridge systems. Used properly (and this requires little effort, only a bit of know how), they can deliver a fantastic shaves.

I enjoyed a few shaves with one, but I went back to my DE. Why? Well, think about how much of your love of DE shaving is not actually about the shave quality itself. We often rate razors on weight, coolness factor, etc. In my opinion, the Injectors offer very little in this area. They are small and light. They look like they could easily be broken. They're not like the 38c that looks like it could double as a door jam, or be handy to have if someone were to sneek up behind you and try to attack you.

The Injectors are pretty neat, but at the end of the day I regard them as a novelty.

You'll love it. That being said, I just gave myself a nice slice with my Schick M injector. Went a little too high while shaving my top lip and nicked the edge of my nostril. It's bleeding like crazy. First real cut I've had in years. :mad:

I'll be sure to take it slow and easy and use the same respect as with a DE. Thanks for the tips everyone....keep 'em coming.

Well I had my first injector shave last night and my second just a bit ago. I found the following:

- The Injector L with CVS blades didn't mow through heavy growth very well and I ended up with irritation from trying to make enough passes. Today was better with only about 14 hours growth but it's not a true representation.

- It's easier to set the blade angle with an injector.

- I found I had to use pressure to get it to actually begin cutting my hair, otherwise the injector wants to skip around.

- Shaving with this injector was a lot like Cartridge shaving and I found myself reverting back to old cartridge habits with it. I went with the grain and then against the grain and was making multiple strokes here and there without paying attention. It was also just a bit on the boring side. DE shaving requires more attention and skill and is more challenging to get a nice shave.

- No matter what I did, I couldn't get BBS on my chin with the injector. I can't get BBS in a lot of areas with my DE either because of little undulations that just won't flatten out right so it wasn't any better or any worse in this area.

In all, i'm not quite sure how to feel. I did enjoy the shave but I also felt guilty that my Merkur 38 was sitting lonely in the cabinet. Also, blades are more expensive for the injector. I think for now I may go back to my DE but investigate the injector again at a later time. In any case, the Injector L that I have is a very nice piece and will remain in my razor collection for quite some time, even if it's not my go to razor.

I'm not familiar with the L injector. I have a G and I think it mows down thick stubble BETTER than a DE.

Also, not sure what blades you're using; there are a lot of different kinds and they're not all created equal.

Finally, you do have to shave just like you're using a DE, not like you're using a cartridge razor. Do this using a good blade and you'll have an excellent shave.

My first shave with a G is coming up in the next day or two. I'm really excitd as I am looking for an easy mindless boring shave for when I'm back at school :lol:

The CVS blades are inferior as is the plastic injector and I did not get a satisfactory shave with it. I was so ticked that I took the blades back to CVS and the manager was kind enough to give me a refund. I got the Schick branded blades from a local grocery store and they made all of the difference. Great shave, easy shave and little pressure need be applied. I recommend them without hesitation. You still need be careful as I find that I come close to cutting myself more frequently with the injector than the DE.

That being said, I am currently primarily using my Merkur barber pole and only go back to the Schick every few months. I prefer being able to get two strokes per rinse as well as the feel of the Merkur.

I've been using an Schick Injector a bit, an L1, and my initial shaves were similar to yours.

I initially used more pressure than I do now. It takes a few shaves to get the angle right, even after you think you've got it down right. I was also falling back into cartridge habits of pressing down a little harder to compensate for a less than ideal angle. This resulted in some minor razor burn. I tried again after taking a break, on a 3 day growth of stubble, and it sort of "clicked" as far as the angle. It mowed down the stubble great. I'd say keep at it or put it down and come back to it later, but give it a few more chances before deciding if the injector is for you or not.

Well I had my first injector shave last night and my second just a bit ago. I found the following:

- The Injector L with CVS blades didn't mow through heavy growth very well and I ended up with irritation from trying to make enough passes. Today was better with only about 14 hours growth but it's not a true representation.

- It's easier to set the blade angle with an injector.

- I found I had to use pressure to get it to actually begin cutting my hair, otherwise the injector wants to skip around.

- Shaving with this injector was a lot like Cartridge shaving and I found myself reverting back to old cartridge habits with it. I went with the grain and then against the grain and was making multiple strokes here and there without paying attention. It was also just a bit on the boring side. DE shaving requires more attention and skill and is more challenging to get a nice shave.

- No matter what I did, I couldn't get BBS on my chin with the injector. I can't get BBS in a lot of areas with my DE either because of little undulations that just won't flatten out right so it wasn't any better or any worse in this area.

In all, i'm not quite sure how to feel. I did enjoy the shave but I also felt guilty that my Merkur 38 was sitting lonely in the cabinet. Also, blades are more expensive for the injector. I think for now I may go back to my DE but investigate the injector again at a later time. In any case, the Injector L that I have is a very nice piece and will remain in my razor collection for quite some time, even if it's not my go to razor.

I had a similar experience with a Type G today. Seemed too easy, and familiar, and I got a little careless and went too fast with too much pressure. Ended up with weeper city on my neck!

Other than that, everything was pretty intuitive and I like the razor. I can see why so many guys here like them and use them for touch ups, too.

So I certainly had some residual irritation from my 2 injector shaves. The beginnings of several ingrowns which made today's DE shave an unpleasant experience. That and my AoS Sandalwood seemed sticky today and the blade wasn't gliding at all.

I had a similar experience with a Type G today. Seemed too easy, and familiar, and I got a little careless and went too fast with too much pressure. Ended up with weeper city on my neck!

Other than that, everything was pretty intuitive and I like the razor. I can see why so many guys here like them and use them for touch ups, too.

Yep. The G will bite you more easily than a DE. It's a sharp blade and a lot of blade exposure. You have to move carefully and deliberately. Just because it looks more like a cartridge blade doesn't make it a cartridge blade.

I love my 1942 E Style Schick injector and much prefer it to a DE.

After five months usage, I've accidentally developed a very light technique and have stopped getting any nicks at all -- whereas in the the first few months I'd get a nick or two with almost evry shave. I've also gotten better at making lather and maybe that is also a factor.

Now I use almost no pressure. I hold the middle of the handle loosely between my thumb and index finger tip (balanced by my middle finger) and just lightly pull the razor across my beard while applying only enough pressure to keep the razor on my skin. It is as though the weight of the razor is pulling the razor down.

The razor seems to be just easily gliding down my skin and slicing hair. A week's growth mows as easily as a day's growth.

Top Bottom