What's new

Using Exfoliating Scrub before shaving?

I've heard two things:

1. You should use an exfoliating scrub before shaving. It removes dead skin cells and makes for a smoother shave.

2. The shaving process is exfoliating, so a scrub shouldn't be used for fear of irritation.

Which ones right?

both 1 and 2 is right.

exfoliating is good, it removed dead cells etc - this is done by the brush on the face, so you dont want to do extra exfoliation or you will end up exfoliating exfoliated skin which will cause irritation.

The reason there are all these exfoliation products for men to use before they shave is because most men dont use a brush.

both 1 and 2 is right.

exfoliating is good, it removed dead cells etc - this is done by the brush on the face, so you dont want to do extra exfoliation or you will end up exfoliating exfoliated skin which will cause irritation.

The reason there are all these exfoliation products for men to use before they shave is because most men dont use a brush.

Excellent point. If you use a shaving gel or something when you're in a pinch, an exfoliant could be used if your skin can handle it.

If you already use a brush, use a mild exfoliant once or twice a week , or on days you don't shave. The exfoliation will address areas on your skin like your forehead and nose (areas you don't shave... i hope :biggrin:)

I would not use an exfoliant prior to shaving. As others have said, they can be mildly-irritating. Shaving can be an additional irritant on top, so I would think using the mentioned-products woule be something to do at a different time.

my wife has this cream from the dead sea. you put it on and rub it on your skin and it takes off ALOT of dead skin I tried it once on my face before a shave,not a good idea. Again brushes do the exfoliation work so scrub shouldn't be needed.

Top Bottom