What's new

Gillete Bleue Extra

Steve, I also bought 100 of these blades on eBay shortly after finding that Swedes were discontinued. Like you, I had read that they were a close second to to the Swedes. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I found a few boxes of real Surrey U.K. Swedes on eBay also, so I can't give an answer to whether the claims are true. I do know that the Gillette Bleue Extra blades are discontinued so they are NOS from the early 1990's. Please let us know what your impression is.

Steve, I also bought 100 of these blades on eBay shortly after finding that Swedes were discontinued. Like you, I had read that they were a close second to to the Swedes. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I found a few boxes of real Surrey U.K. Swedes on eBay also, so I can't give an answer to whether the claims are true. I do know that the Gillette Bleue Extra blades are discontinued so they are NOS from the early 1990's. Please let us know what your impression is.

Hi, i also found 11 boxes of Surrey Swedes last week at a private Pharmacy
5 mins from my house, wish i had looked sooner :mad:

I am going to check some more private Pharmacies tomorrow as i reckon there must be some great finds as Private Pharmacy stock doesn't move as fast as the big stores.

I will try the Bleues once they arrive and post my findings, i think the seller has more but she is on holiday so if they are good i am going to stock up with a few hundred. :thumbup1:

Steve

I do know that the Gillette Bleue Extra blades are discontinued so they are NOS from the early 1990's. Please let us know what your impression is.

Not true, ProphetNoir; they just changed packaging. Forget about the dispenser: they now come in double-wrappers and simple cardboard box. Just check these pictures.

Not true, ProphetNoir; they just changed packaging. Forget about the dispenser: they now come in double-wrappers and simple cardboard box. Just check these pictures.

Same plant in Russia where Wizamet or Super Iridium are made too...Same quality for half price the Wiz's!!To me Ol' Swedes, Bleues and Wiz' are playing at the same league!! All are nice and smooth indeed!!

I bought 100 of these from the same place as the OP,judging by the pics.

My experience with them varies significantly with the razor used:

Fat Boy(set 3-5) OK to Good shave but not comfortable

Regular Super Speed(F1) Smooth comfortable close shave

Red Tip Super Speed - Closest shave but not quite as comfortable as the regular SS

YMMV

P.S. Is it just me or are they awkward/hard to get out of the dispenser ?

Last edited:
Gillette Bleue Extra is an excellent blade for mild to medium aggressive settings. If you're keen on lawn mower levels better grab some Feathers.
Since I mostly use Techs (or a Slim Adjustable on "3"), GBE is the perfect choice for me and provides awesome shaves (probably the best I've ever had).
I'm glad they're still around for such a reasonable price.

Thanks for the correction Captain. That packaging looks very similar to the new Gillette Platinum packaging. Are they all being made in the same factory now?

Steve, congratulations on finding those Swedes! Treat them well and I know you can get a good eight shaves out of each blade. I would go higher than that, but I am talking about good shaves.

I know many of you are desperate for Swede replacements but these are not them IMHO. Perfectly fine for the price, I'd be surprised if they were coated, average shave for me when tried in a few razors. (Slim, Aristo Jnr, Flair Tip)

Same plant in Russia where Wizamet or Super Iridium are made too...Same quality for half price the Wiz's!!To me Ol' Swedes, Bleues and Wiz' are playing at the same league!! All are nice and smooth indeed!!

You think that's a guarantee of quality just because they are coming out the same trap?

I didn't see huge differences between them when i shaved with...But maybe Gillette could explain better their factory line production.:biggrin:

I found the thread that I was thinking of with regard to the "new" Swedes, which are not really Swedes at all. I believe that both these and the "new" Bleue Extra blades are replacements for what are now NOS blades. The new packaging is nearly identical as are the blades. Neither, however, bears much resemblence to the original Swedes or Bleue Extras. Whether this meets the criteria for my saying that I believe that Bleue Extras had been discontinued will make for an interesting (and friendly) debate.

Here is a link to the thread about the new Gillette Platinums.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76248

Last edited:
I found the thread that I was thinking of with regard to the "new" Swedes, which are not really Swedes at all. I believe that both these and the "new" Bleue Extra blades are replacements for what are now NOS blades. The new packaging is nearly identical as are the blades. Neither, however, bears much resemblence to the original Swedes or Bleue Extras. Whether this meets the criteria for my saying that I believe that Bleue Extras had been discontinued will make for an interesting (and friendly) debate.

Here is a link to the thread about the new Gillette Platinums.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76248

Thanks for the link, ProphetNoir. :001_smile
Anyways, I used the plastic dispenser BE blades before the cardboard version invaded the market, and honestly I cannot find many differences between the two. Maybe a more experienced shaver could arrive with some remarks about sharpness and so on. I must say I don't, and I'm pretty happy with these blades.

LOL Sunburyboy did I just buy a mug from you on the bay ?...kept thinking there was something familiar about the name :biggrin:

Yes you did buddy boy, and a mighty fine mug it is too :biggrin::biggrin:

I am selling alot of my stuff on the bay as i am only really collecting Gillette's Wilks and Ever Ready Razors.

Mug will be posted tomorrow mate

Hope it gets some good use :biggrin:

Top Bottom