What's new

First straight shave

Well I went from doing my first DE shave to doing my first few passes with a Geneva Straight I just got Thanks to Leighton. I must say it was a pain free blood free experience so far but i didn't do my whole shave with the straight I did a few passes to start getting acquainted with shaving with a straight and I'm Happy. Unfortunately I may not shave again with the straight until I get a strop so I can keep the blade in top form.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can always try to strop the blade with a newspaper. It works but you won't get an edge as smooth as if you were using leather.

Good to hear it was a great experience!

Awesome!

You can make do with newspaper (as previously mentioned) or a leather belt. Or if your feeling up to it, your palm (ie Mastro Livi style).

The Geneva is actually stainless steel, so it'll hold up against corrosion better than the HCS blades. You can probably get away with more shaves. But thats really just an informed guess. Perhaps our local strop meister has an opinion on the matter.

put about 10 layers of newspaper on the edge of a table and then stop on it - it wont be great, but if you do like 80-100 laps its good enough for a shave while you wait for the postman to arrive with your strop

Top Bottom